PDA

View Full Version : First timer in pastels

carolgr
01-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Hi,
My name is Carol and I'm new to WC. Just started painting again after 30 years. I have been working in acrylics, but decided to try my hand at pastels. Bought an inexpensive set of oil pastels, but have found them difficult to blend. I have ordered some soft pastels and eagerly await their delivery. Posting 2 oil pastels. Very elementary work, but I figure you have to start somewhere.
Enjoying viewing others' works, and hope to learn much.
Have a great day!

Kathryn Wilson
01-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Hi Carol! Welcome to the Pastel Forum! You've done a good job on those first two oil pastels - there are others here more experienced than I in OP's, but it may be working on a colored background might help - then you don't have to fill in all those white spaces in the background.

Visit the Stickies on Oil Pastel help in the Pastel Archives (linked above) - there are many ways to blend OP's and it's all posted in there.

OP's are not the easiest way to start with pastels, but they are well worth working with if you don't like a mess or the dust of softies. Just needs alot of experimenting and finding the right combination of pastel brands and pastel paper to fit your style of painting.

Dyin
01-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Hi and welcome, Carol!! The better grades of OP apply much differently than the cheapies, altho some get really good results with some of the cheaper brands....Kat gave you some good advice if you want to explore them further. You've picked a great place to come to, you'll be back in the swing of things in no time and learn lots along the way.

meowmeow
01-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Welcome Carol! you have definitely come to the right place.
It is wonderful that you are getting back into your artwork...I was away from mine for a long time too and this place has been terrific. There is lots of good information here on oil pastels and soft pastels. Looks like you are off to a good start with the op's...I look forward to seeing more of your work as you go along!

Sandy