PDA

View Full Version : Varnishing (Soluvar) procedure

PHB
08-10-2001, 11:52 AM
I'm getting ready to varnish a couple of paintings. I've applied the acrylic varnish (isolation) coat. My question is this: on the back of the Soluvar can, instructions say to first wipe down the dried varnish surface with mineral spirits.

I'm not sure why this is necessary, but will do it if that's what the instructions say. However, is it ok to use Turpenoid or one of the citrus-based solvents instead of mineral spirits?

I haven't been able to find the answer to this question and would appreciate any help you all can give me --

thanks.

PHB

Einion
08-10-2001, 02:37 PM
This is just a guess as I have not used Soluvar but the wipedown with mineral spirits is probably to "key" the surface through the action of the solvent to accept the next coat and improve adhesion between the layers.

I have not seen this sort of recommendation for any varnish or finish in painting, or woodworking for that matter, so it might just be a peculiarity of this product. If you don't have mineral spirits and you do have turpenoid this would probably work okay for the same reason the former does but I would avoid the citrus-based solvents as you never know if there will be an adverse reaction.

Einion