PDA

View Full Version : Pied Heron

Caterwallin'
01-24-2004, 08:03 PM
After totally screwing up my frog. Angry and depressed, I felt the need to be successful! I had seen a Blue Heron reference in the library posted by Gaka (Thanks Gaka) that caught my eye! After I looked at it for awhile, I decided that I wanted more reference! So I went on the prowl for more pics of Blue Herons. The only problem was that none of the Blues I found looked like this reference! After about two hours of searching, I finally and by sheer chance managed to find several pictures of some Australian native Pied Herons! I had a match! It was time to paint!

Mind you, I started this painting at about 2:00 am and never left the easel! Well, OK, I did go to the bathroom on occaision and I ate some lunch, but that was it! I had been told that I needed to paint something with contrasting focal points. I won't say by whom, but here ya go Joss!

This is Acrylic on 20" x 16" creative edge canvas. I used one mask to protect the Heron and the rest is done with freehand airbrush and that other kind of brush. The long feathers on his chest and head were painted with a #6 Script brush! I will set hiim up in the living room for a couple of days and stare at him to see if theres anything else I need to do. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Just remember, I'm post-traumatic, so be easy!

Sam

greymist
01-24-2004, 09:01 PM
I think it's terrific... I will be happy when I am that good with an airbrush.

Lisa

ProfessorGreibowitz
01-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Looooooking goooooood. I like yours a lot. The eye is a little dark (I'm going easy!!! heheheheh) but it looks good, uh, dad. heheheheheh

Man, did you go on a paint-a-thon or what???

I paint veeeery slowly. I need to learn how to speed things up. I'll learn.

Good job, as always!

Tim

Penny220
01-25-2004, 10:59 AM
GREAT JOB Sam!,
So, what show have you selected for this piece?

Caterwallin'
01-30-2004, 06:12 PM
It feels sooooooooooo good to be back!!!! I missed you guys!!!

Thanks Lisa!!! I bet your better!!!!

Thanks Timmo! I made many changes on purpose including that dark eye. I wanted him to have a more sinister look! Those fish and frogs don't stand a chance against this feeding machine! LOL!!!

Thanks Penny! It's going to the "15th Annual Closet Art Open" This event showcases art that is stowed away in the closets of artists! Should do well I hope!

Sam

Cherri
01-31-2004, 12:33 AM
Very Nice job... as always.. Hope to see many more..

Thank you for taking the time to share your work with us. Now, get some rest. LOL

Colorfast
02-01-2004, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=Cherri]Very Nice job... as always..

Colorfast Here:
Sam, You have really outdone yourself this time. Of course ya already knew that. I have been away from the WC as of late. It has taken me all day to play catch up, if ya know what I mean. I read about your mishap with your auto... so sorry. Then I read about your Dad, that is just great. One thumbs up and one thumbs down.
Now that you are back, are ya going to create another WIP for us? You know that is why we have had so many new members added to the Clubhouse. Every time ya do one, it makes a great scene. We're going to have to make you another Plaque to hang on your wall.
Later, Dave

Penny220
02-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Dave, we are in total agreeance.
Sam, I keep coming back to look at this. What a great job. You improved from the reference. My husband (my greatest critic) is in awe of this one! Me too. Thanks for posting it.

Penny

ProfessorGreibowitz
02-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Sam,

Love the new avatar! heheheh What is it? hehehehe It's some type of feline but it looks ... strange. hehhee But it looks cuddly and adorable.

Yes, I vote that Sam does another WIP. Can one ever truly get enough WIPs?

Tim

Caterwallin'
02-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks Cherri!

Your too kind Dave! I'm glad you've made it back and are catching up on the scoop! Yes, the incident with my car was tragic, but this to shall pass! I just spoke with my Dad, and he is doing great! He said he hurt himself while cheering during the Super Bowl! I have no plans for another WIP at the moment, but you know how that can change! I'm somewhat idol at the moment, and I'm not sure what I want to do for my next project.

Thanks Penster! And tell Brucy baby that I say thanks to him also!

Tim, this is an adorable little feline that had been photographed up close and with what seems to be a fish eye type lens. It made me laugh and reminded me of my little monsters who love to sniff their own reflections in a camera's lens!

Take care gang!

Sam

jocelynsart
02-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Lol Sam. You emailed then. Me, I am most likely in the bad books. I have not been a great one for returning calls. Doing way too much. lol
You screwed up your frog? I missed that. That is why I get frustrated with ab. It is a do or die situation many times I find.
This looks great. That tree in the bg does bug me a bit. I'd have brought it back more. But, that is all matter of personal opinion.
I really love this though. The bird is gorgeous and it has a nice, tranquil feel to it.
Joss

Colorfast
02-03-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks Cherri!

Your too kind Dave! I'm glad you've made it back and are catching up on the scoop! I'm not sure what I want to do for my next project.
Sam
Sam:
I have an idea. I have the (Hands Portrait) hanging in the wings, have this real (Biggie Thing) I'm working on at the present and a few more (monsters) in my closet. Why don't I send you one of them to keep you up at night. Along with all this artwork, I have been helping a friend build a horse barn on his farm. What else is there to do in Tennessee?
I am working on this Biggie and it's about to come to an end. No, I can't say anything about it right now. I am worried it might fall apart before I can finish it. You know, I don't want to have a (Frog Experience) this late in the game.
But we all know Sam, He will have something on the Boards very soon. We're all hanging around waiting for your next Big One!
Later Sam, Dave
:)

HF AIRBRUSH
02-03-2004, 02:28 PM
looks great,...you've done a great job...
i reckon the bird...here in Holland we've got a bird just like that..
its called a: blauwe reiger...but i mostly shoot them from my roof top...because they eat my fish from my pond...hahaha

henk

Colorfast
02-03-2004, 02:58 PM
looks great,...you've done a great job...
i reckon the bird...here in Holland we've got a bird just like that..
its called a: blauwe reiger...but i mostly shoot them from my roof top...because they eat my fish from my pond...hahaha

henk
Colorfast Here:
And they eat the fish you say, Henk? Gee, how do they get the fish down their skiny little necks? Oh well, that's how much I know about birds. But still, I love this piece of artwork. It's the contrast that I really makes my day. That big thing stands out away from the background, don't it though?
Oh Sam, We are still waiting....
Later, Dave
:) :) :)

Caterwallin'
02-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Hey Joss, yes I emailed. Thanks for all of your help! So many un-answered questions! You had better get busy returning those calls though! I may need you again in the future!LOL!! This was the first time ever that I have blasted a painting in this manner! OH well! Thanks for the comments on the Herron, I agree with you though, that tree is a bit ominous! In the real painting, it's not as bad!

Dave, email me your idea, I like to play with monsters! Good news, I did dream up an idea for a new painting! I don't know about a WIP though! LOL!

Thanks Henk, next time do some shooting for me! With a long lens for some nice close ups! I can use the reference!

Sam
SFTS

jocelynsart
02-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi Sam: Don't worry, I did.
Blast? You mean the way you airbrushed or composition and focal point choices?
I really like your Heron. Your cat was jaw dropping as well.
Anyway, yes, things appear much more vibrant and lose their visual subtleties on a comp. screen I find. It tends to tighten details too because you are going from a large painting to a small image on a screen. Alot of the reason illustrators tended to work larger than what their work was going to be reproduced.
In the process of deciding if I will be packing up my AB or not. Every time I come in here I get excited about it again. lol It won't get me to the level and finish I want like other mediums do. Ah well. If I masked it probably would. Or, swithc to the Iwata like you suggest.
Look forward to seeing some more of your work.
Joss

HF AIRBRUSH
02-04-2004, 03:06 PM
hey...just look at google for reiger....lots of them....i only schoot them with my air gun...i know it's forbidden by law here...but the law does not pay my fish..hahaha....

henk

Caterwallin'
02-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Hey Joss, I'm glad you caught up on your calls.
I guess blast was the wrong word, the word I really want use is not very nice! I should say ..........when I flubbed up my frog....... LOL!!! Your work is spectacular! If you have no need for the AB, then don't use it, it's just another tool! I would not be disapointed to see you do some more airbrush work though!

Henk! I totally understand your situation! We have some rather obnoxious birds around here called "Grackles"! I have launched a few pellets in their direction on occaision! Lucky for them, I'm a terrible shot! They seem to get the idea though! LOL!!

Sam
SFTS

Penny220
02-04-2004, 04:49 PM
hey...just look at google for reiger....lots of them....i only schoot them with my air gun...i know it's forbidden by law here...but the law does not pay my fish..hahaha....

henk

Henk,

One question. If you have four dogs, why do you need help with the birds? My baby has one opinion, if its a cow or horse, ignore it, if it's a dog, it's a friend, if it's a cat, it's a toy, if it's not either of the forementioned, it's a snack! I have to say, I don't spend much on dog food this way :D LOL.

Penny