PDA

View Full Version : Is this allowed?

ale.l
01-23-2004, 04:50 AM
I gather it's not - but if this artist can quote his/her webpage on the auction page then what are we missing? How are these things discovered? By someone's reporting it to ebay? It's not fair for some to play by the rules and not for others.

I dont want to snitch but I can imagine how many listings there are that bypass the rules.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20158&item=3654848816

This is the line:

Jeff Atnip is an award winning artist. His art is in many private and corporate collections. Click here to see his website

Personally I think it's stupid to disallow that in the first place when there are so many ways to direct browsers to homepages..I understand you are officially allowed to mention home page on your ABOUT ME page, right?

timelady
01-23-2004, 06:13 AM
You're right - it's straightforward breaking of the rules.

(oh, and I've deleted your duplicate post for you. :))

Tina.

prtpix
01-23-2004, 06:48 AM
Aside from the link. Look at his water colors. They are absolutely beautiful.
It is possible he is just not aware that he is not allowed to have a link on the auction pages. Please don't report him to E-Bay. He might just need to be informed that he is doing something illegal.

ale.l
01-23-2004, 07:24 AM
Timelady, thanks for deleting the duplicate link :)

No, I won't report that.. I was just confirming that it was or wasn't proper - although it's a silly prohibition if you can show your website on your ABOUT ME page... and you can easily trace ebay listings to homepages if you host the images on your servers.. IExplorer will show you the link if you put your mouse over the image etc... For me it's not a big deal at all.. but I saw it mentioned here quite often and wanted to verify how people look at that.

Ebay is slow for me at the moment. It' slike a lottery isn't it.

prtpix
01-23-2004, 07:32 AM
His water colors remind me of the first painting I painted to sell on E-Bay (below).
I sold it for $29.00. They buyer sold it a month later in a show for $250.00.
I really think his water colors are worth much more than what he is getting for them.

I have not done a water color for E-Bay since. That's when started really painting a lot of acrylics.

I hope he starts getting more for his work on E-Bay. It's so nice.

sandge
01-23-2004, 08:07 AM
His water colors remind me of the first painting I painted to sell on E-Bay (below).

Wow! That's quite a good profit! I am wondering what they were doing differently to you. Do you know how they were able to achieve the higher price?

prtpix
01-23-2004, 08:37 AM
Well, First of all the reason I knew that he was reselling it is because he told me he was a dealer and asked me for a bio to put with the painting.
He matted and framed it and took it to a show he does on the North Shore of Boston. He also told me that the couple that bought the painting really admired the Bucks County Barn theme.
He also told me that he does not usually sell contemporary works. But, My barn painting had a look that he was drawn to.
I was so please to find out that he go so much for my painting. Even if it was not me who pocketed the money.

drawsing
01-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Well, First of all the reason I knew that he was reselling it is because he told me he was a dealer and asked me for a bio to put with the painting.
He matted and framed it and took it to a show he does on the North Shore of Boston. He also told me that the couple that bought the painting really admired the Bucks County Barn theme.
He also told me that he does not usually sell contemporary works. But, My barn painting had a look that he was drawn to.
I was so please to find out that he go so much for my painting. Even if it was not me who pocketed the money.

drawsing
01-23-2004, 09:11 AM
I really think his water colors are worth much more than what he is getting for them.

I have not done a water color for E-Bay since. That's when started really painting a lot of acrylics.

I hope he starts getting more for his work on E-Bay. It's so nice.

Hello, my name is Jeff Atnip. I was alerted by someone sending me an email that my ebay auctions were being discussed here. Thank you for the compliments on my work.

No I did not know about the ebay policy of no links to home pages. Now that I know, I won't do it any more. After I got the email I went looking and sure enough...there was the policy. The reason I was doing it in the first place was because I had seen so many others doing it and figured it was okay. Oh well. Thanks again.

arteitaliana
01-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Hello, jeff

Your work is wonderful and you deserve better prices.
I suggest you invest some money in FP and you'll see your prices soar!

R

online art
01-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Arghhh :mad:

I too was a web site advertiser :evil: didn't know it wasn't allowed, loads seem to do it.

But I have now (thanks to you lot) reformed :angel: and taken it from my listings. It really seems like a shame though, wonder if there is another way arouns this, like saying the company name on ebay so they can find our sites on the search engines.

Are we allowed to link to a page that shows more details of the item being sold? though I read that somewhere on Ebay?

sandge
01-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Are we allowed to link to a page that shows more details of the item being sold? though I read that somewhere on Ebay?
Yes, I believe so. And bizarely, I also think that from that details page, you can link to elsewhere - someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

drawsing
02-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Hello, jeff

Your work is wonderful and you deserve better prices.
I suggest you invest some money in FP and you'll see your prices soar!

R
Hi, I just saw your note about FP. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is FP?

sandge
02-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi, I just saw your note about FP. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is FP?
FP = Featured Plus
:)

ejmstudios
02-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Hey Jeff! Always glad to welcome another watercolor artist to the group. The blue ridge painting you have up now looks just like my great grandparents dairy farm outside of Asheville. I love it!

There are all kinds of rules and regulations (not to mention initials) to learn when starting ebay. I think most of us make the same "oopses" when we first start.

If I can help any way and you don't feel comfortable discussing on the forum, feel free to ask in email or pm (private message) by clicking on the little light bulb near my name.

Beth

drawsing
02-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Thank you. I think I will go over to ebay now and check out Feature Plus.

kjsspot
02-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Thank you. I think I will go over to ebay now and check out Feature Plus.

Whatever you do, make sure you get Feature PLUS and not Featured Gallery.