PDA

View Full Version : just fp'ed a listing - should i lower the price

surreal
01-23-2004, 12:43 AM
Hi,
I just fp'ed this drawing which is 7x9" in archival pens on 300 lb. Fabriano paper.

I started the auction at $19.00.

Should I lower the price in your opinion?
Feedback from anyone is very welcome. :)

I can change the price within the next 8 hours, I think.

My callas this size have sold up to $27.00.

:)

*I know it is best to start an fp at a lower price than one would ordinarily price a piece.
Are you around, Rita???

nanabanana
01-23-2004, 01:34 AM
no $19 is low as is especially because it's an original piece and since you FPed it it's going to cost you more so $19 will just about pay for the FP not to mention your labor / time. I always start at a price that I can profit from ok almost always. Sigh buyers really do get a bargin when they buy original artwork from talented artists at low prices. Sometimes ebay will be slow .. unpredictable at times. So no bids this week may end up a bidding war the next

Last month i auctioned off and sold my old sketch book for a ridiculously low price thinking it'd get into bidding war .. only i forgot about christmas weekend.

surreal
01-23-2004, 01:41 AM
Hi Nana,
Thanks so much for your feedback.
:D
One of my ebay gurus once said that fp's should begin at a lower price than one would usually price a painting/drawing. I think the reasoning behind her viewpoint is that the lower price is an enticement to prospective bidders.

In any case, I will have to rely on the process of trial and error with my fping of drawings or paintings.

*My insecurities about pricing on ebay have been greatly evidenced in this forum recently.*

LOL

*In future, I will make decisions and live with them.*

Thanks again so much for your feedback Nana!

arteitaliana
01-23-2004, 02:34 AM
Hi, Nina

I don't think you should lower the price just because it's FP.
I start at the same price all my listings, fp or not. ( well...recently I have started a few at $99 but I am not going to continue doing that).
I think that raising the price when listing Fp is a mistake. It will diminish interest in your listings just when you are paying money in order to do the opposite.
Ebayers are a cheap bunch and some will not click on items which have a high minimum, unless:
You have a large following
Your work usually sells for a high price
The piece is very large and attractive

FP should not be considered as a way to sell that particular listing for more money, but rather to augment the visibility of the seller, because all other listings will also be positively affected by that one FP.

This said, I think you have choosen a very small pen drawing to FP. It would have been better if you had chosen something larger.

I don't see your seller list anymore, I had bookmarked it under surrealart, but I know you have changed your ID, which i don't remember...sorry! :D

ElizaLeahy
01-23-2004, 02:39 AM
Don't lower the price! $19 is a give away - literally, as it doesn't cover your listing price.

Do more lovely acrylics like that bottom you did and FP them :)

TeAnne
01-23-2004, 03:42 AM
Nina, that is a good price :) :clap:
I listed some more stuff today. Pastels mainly. 2 are for Australia only. Way too heavy.
http://cgi6.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=art*teanne&sort=3&rows=50&since=-1&include=0&showpics=1&stab=1

lisilk
01-23-2004, 04:14 AM
Absolutely NOT Nina. You don't charge nearly enough as is ( although I did benefit from that ;) ) You need to start respecting your own value in order for others to !

Cheers....was going to write a big speil on that but will leave it. Don't under sell yourself.

Li

surreal
01-23-2004, 09:01 AM
FP should not be considered as a way to sell that particular listing for more money, but rather to augment the visibility of the seller, because all other listings will also be positively affected by that one FP.

This said, I think you have choosen a very small pen drawing to FP. It would have been better if you had chosen something larger.

I don't see your seller list anymore, I had bookmarked it under surrealart, but I know you have changed your ID, which i don't remember...sorry! :D

Hi Rita,
All of my drawings of callas have been selling, although it does not look that way at present. ;)

I have 3 other callas up at auction now, so I thought that fp'ing this piece would bring greater visibility to the calla being fp'ed and my other listings and those that I will create over the weekend. ;)

I think I did take a gamble fp'ing this piece.
Unfortunately, I don't create pen and ink pieces which are larger, because they are terribly time-consuming. I draw them because I enjoy the process tremendously. ;)

Thanks again for offering your feedback.

My user id is nk.art.

surreal
01-23-2004, 09:05 AM
Don't lower the price! $19 is a give away - literally, as it doesn't cover your listing price.

Do more lovely acrylics like that bottom you did and FP them :)

Hi Eliza,

surreal
01-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Nina, that is a good price :) :clap:
I listed some more stuff today. Pastels mainly. 2 are for Australia only. Way too heavy.
http://cgi6.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=art*teanne&sort=3&rows=50&since=-1&include=0&showpics=1&stab=1

Hi Te,
Thanks so much for responding.

Gosh, your prints are gorgeous!!!

*Don't have time right now to look at your other pieces, as I have to get ready for work shortly. But, I will look at them later; I promise. :D *

surreal
01-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Absolutely NOT Nina. You don't charge nearly enough as is ( although I did benefit from that ;) ) You need to start respecting your own value in order for others to !

Cheers....was going to write a big speil on that but will leave it. Don't under sell yourself.

Li

Hi Li,
Thanks so very much.
You are very sweet.

sandge
01-23-2004, 09:21 AM
I notice that ebay has these search links for folks who browse (see attachment). My sellathon tracker shows that a couple of visitors used an under $20 search which I assume was that link provided by ebay. It seems to me a good idea to bear these price bands in mind - if you are already under $20 is there that much advantage to going lower?

Also, I did notice that one of my visitors had excluded items under $10 in their search which I thought was interesting.

surreal
01-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Hi Guys,

I just lowered the price to $9.99.

Since I don't have a large following I would rather not risk losing the entire cost of fp'ing the auction.

Thanks again, so much, for your feedback!

I will let you know whether or not it sells and for what price it sells.

surreal
01-23-2004, 09:26 AM
I notice that ebay has these search links for folks who browse (see attachment). My sellathon tracker shows that a couple of visitors used an under $20 search which I assume was that link provided by ebay. It seems to me a good idea to bear these price bands in mind - if you are already under $20 is there that much advantage to going lower?

Also, I did notice that one of my visitors had excluded items under $10 in their search which I thought was interesting.

Hi Sandra,
I believe we posted at the same time.
I just lowered the price.

Thanks so much for the info that you provided.

Rieko
01-23-2004, 02:49 PM
All of my drawings of callas have been selling.

I have 3 other callas up at auction now, so I thought that fp'ing this piece would bring greater visibility to the calla being fp'ed and my other listings and those that I will create over the weekend. ;)

I draw them because I enjoy the process tremendously. ;)

My user id is nk.art.

Nina, I just re-arranged your comment to Rita in a positive term. I can't say anything to an experienced seller like you, but I know you are a wonderful artist. And like you have mentioned above, you have sold all of the callas, so why don't you believe in yourself and in your beautiful drawings? I understand your fears, but you can think a FP fee as a cheap advitisement for your works... We may lose money for not selling the piece, but at least we can get a good number of viewers from FP and maybe eventually, it will pay off... That's what I count on. We all have to learn sometime to take a risk in order to go to the next stage. No pain, no gain. Just go for it!

If you think I have said something harsh, please forgive me which I didn't mean it. Quite opposite. I wanted to say that I admire your work and probably you can list a larger calla in acrylic or oil for FP in the future so that it will stand out even more.

surreal
01-23-2004, 07:42 PM
.......... but I know you are a wonderful artist. And like you have mentioned above, you have sold all of the callas, so why don't you believe in yourself and in your beautiful drawings? I understand your fears, but you can think a FP fee as a cheap advitisement for your works... We may lose money for not selling the piece, but at least we can get a good number of viewers from FP and maybe eventually, it will pay off... That's what I count on. We all have to learn sometime to take a risk in order to go to the next stage. No pain, no gain. Just go for it!.......

Hi Rieko,
Thank you very much for your kind comments.
I do have confidence in my abilities as an artist, but I don't have confidence in my abilities to sell art for high prices on ebay. :) I have never sold any art that I have had up for sale on ebay for more than $50.00.

I can't thank you enough for the advice you imparted to me about FP's.
I agree with you completely about thinking about FP fees as a cheap advertisement. And you are so correct in saying that we all have to learn to take risks in order to go to the next stage.
You taught me alot, Rieko!

After I read your post, I changed my FP listing to have a reserve of $25.00.

kjsspot
01-23-2004, 10:45 PM

ROTFLOL LOL Nina, you bounce around more than my son on his trampoline! :D I see you got your reserve! :clap:

walden
01-23-2004, 11:19 PM
You need to start respecting your own value in order for others to !

There's a LOT of truth in that statement.

Since I have done just about everything wrong that it is possible to do with FP, let me expound on this issue. :D This month I have had two FP's go off without a bid, and one at well below where I think it should have sold.

Mistakes:
1) FP a painting JUST because it is larger. I listed a landscape FP that I KNEW had a problem, only because I wanted an FP and it was the biggest one I had available. Mistake. I talked myself into believing that it was pretty good, when in fact, I knew I should have either worked on it some more or tossed it.
2) FP a painting because I need an FP RIGHT NOW. Wrong. If I don't have anything good enough, it's a waste of money.
3) List one of my best paintings regular, because I need a regular listing RIGHT NOW, and it's all I have. Wrong. I should have put it aside until my other FP's went off then listed it FP, and just gone with fewer regular listings for a day or two.
4) My last mistake may only be specific to my particular kind of work (mostly realistic/impressionistic landscapes)-- I listed a good piece FP in Self-rep, and I think it would have gotten a much better price in Paintings/Contemp/American.

Did I miss anything? :D If an FP is an advertisement (and if one is at the point where one cannot afford, based on their prices, to FP everything), then the FP has got to be chosen judiciously. From now on I have resolved to only FP my best work, to keep one FP running at all times, and when I do a piece where I really hit it but I don't need an FP just then, to put it aside and wait to FP it when I do. I think this will work-- it means I need to do only 3 "best" pieces per month, and most months I can manage that.

As for pricing, I'm the absolute worst when it comes to going into panic mode when sales slow, and slashing my prices, then getting aggravated at myself for giving my work away. It's a stupid thing to do-- I don't recommend it. I am trying to follow a new rule-- when sales are slow (or non-existent), sit tight, keep listing, maintain my pricing, etc.. And, when I find that between my auctions and my store, I can't paint fast enough, then it's time to raise my prices.

Anyway, as I think it is Rita who has said before, pricing consistency is important. Set the price on your work where you think it belongs and give the market plenty of time to come around to your way of thinking. ;) We can always correct downward later if we have to-- but let's hope we don't have to.

surreal
01-23-2004, 11:20 PM
ROTFLOL LOL Nina, you bounce around more than my son on his trampoline! :D I see you got your reserve! :clap:

LOL
You are so right, Kerry Jo!!!
:D :D :D

edit:

Oh my!!!! The reserve was met!!!

LOL

surreal
01-23-2004, 11:36 PM
..................... If an FP is an advertisement (and if one is at the point where one cannot afford, based on their prices, to FP everything), then the FP has got to be chosen judiciously. From now on I have resolved to only FP my best work, to keep one FP running at all times, and when I do a piece where I really hit it but I don't need an FP just then, to put it aside and wait to FP it when I do. I think this will work-- it means I need to do only 3 "best" pieces per month, and most months I can manage that................................................................................................. I am trying to follow a new rule-- when sales are slow (or non-existent), sit tight, keep listing, maintain my pricing, etc.. And, when I find that between my auctions and my store, I can't paint fast enough, then it's time to raise my prices.

Anyway, as I think it is Rita who has said before, pricing consistency is important. Set the price on your work where you think it belongs and give the market plenty of time to come around to your way of thinking. ;) We can always correct downward later if we have to-- but let's hope we don't have to.

Hi Walden,
It sounds like you have arrived at a plan for success on ebay!
Congrats to you!
Can you give us a link to your ebay auctions?
Thanks.

walden
01-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Ah, Nina, I HOPE it's a plan for success-- at a minimum, it's a plan to avoid certain known routes to failure. ;)

Here's my Ebay stuff (I forget how to put it into my sig block):

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=lisawalkerart&sort=3&rows=50&since=-1&rd=1

surreal
01-24-2004, 12:58 AM
Ah, Nina, I HOPE it's a plan for success-- at a minimum, it's a plan to avoid certain known routes to failure. ;)

Here's my Ebay stuff (I forget how to put it into my sig block):

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=lisawalkerart&sort=3&rows=50&since=-1&rd=1

Hi Lisa,
Your landscapes are great!
I love your loose style and wonderful sense of space!

Rieko
01-24-2004, 01:34 AM
Hi Rieko,
Thank you very much for your kind comments.
I do have confidence in my abilities as an artist, but I don't have confidence in my abilities to sell art for high prices on ebay. :) I have never sold any art that I have had up for sale on ebay for more than $50.00.

I can't thank you enough for the advice you imparted to me about FP's.
I agree with you completely about thinking about FP fees as a cheap advertisement. And you are so correct in saying that we all have to learn to take risks in order to go to the next stage.
You taught me alot, Rieko!

Hi Nina, good morning from this side of the Atlantic! Congratulations on your reserve to be met!!! :clap: Way to go! I'm happy for you. :clap:

ElizaLeahy
01-24-2004, 03:00 AM
4 bidders on day one of an auction is pretty hot going Nina!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

walden
01-24-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi Lisa,
Your landscapes are great!
I love your loose style and wonderful sense of space!

Thanks, Nina!

surreal
01-24-2004, 11:25 AM
4 bidders on day one of an auction is pretty hot going Nina!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks, Eliza!
I am very pleased!

laurali
01-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Congratulations, Nina :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't think starting low cheapens your work, BTW. The idea of an auction setting is to let the painting set the price by how it bids up. Unfortunately, in this dire market, it seldom works that way. I did two FPs this month--neither sold. My other sales have been reasonable, however, so I won't complain (but I won't try FP again for awhile).

Laura

idahogirl
01-24-2004, 01:14 PM
Lisa (Walden). I smiled all through your discussion of mistakes you have made with FP's. I have done every single one you mentioned (and probably more) Great to see you back again. Now I try to be less emotional and try to stick to a plan. For example I have 2 abstracts starting tomorrow. I have a third, this one in oil, that has not dried.... starting to think it will NEVER dry. In the past I would have listed it anyway hoping that it would dry before shipping taking the chance of a buyer receiving a damaged painting because of my impatience. This time I took a deep breath and said I will list it when it is at least touch dry.

Nina, you make me smile. I love your work (as you know I happily own one). I identify with your second guessing. I do it all the time. Lately have been trying to discipline myself to make a plan and stick with it. I used to start my non FP pieces at $9.99 and my FP's at $19.99 which made sense to me but probably seemed a little strange to a potential buyer. Now I take one of those deep breaths and consistently list at $9.99 (the theory being to attract multliple bidders)

Dee

walden
01-24-2004, 01:41 PM
It's good to be back, Dee-- and to be painting. For family reasons, I didn't paint for about six months, and I really missed it!

For taking the emotion out of it, I made a deal with a friend of mine last night. She has really good business sense, and I promised her that I will set a pricing policy and NOT DEVIATE from it without her permission. :cool: She'll make me justify what I want to do, and won't give me permission to do anything stupid. Art is a funny business-- I have never before been one to get emotional over business issues, but I put so much of myself into my painting that it's hard to stay cool-headed over the business side of it.

surreal
01-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Congratulations, Nina :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't think starting low cheapens your work, BTW. The idea of an auction setting is to let the painting set the price by how it bids up. Unfortunately, in this dire market, it seldom works that way. I did two FPs this month--neither sold. My other sales have been reasonable, however, so I won't complain (but I won't try FP again for awhile).

Laura

Hi Laura,
Thanks so much.

I recall your saying in the past, that you don't have much luck with fps.
However, I am happy to hear that your sales, in general, have been reasonable.
The market is very difficult now. :(

surreal
01-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Lisa (Walden). I smiled all through your discussion of mistakes you have made with FP's. I have done every single one you mentioned (and probably more) Great to see you back again. Now I try to be less emotional and try to stick to a plan. For example I have 2 abstracts starting tomorrow. I have a third, this one in oil, that has not dried.... starting to think it will NEVER dry. In the past I would have listed it anyway hoping that it would dry before shipping taking the chance of a buyer receiving a damaged painting because of my impatience. This time I took a deep breath and said I will list it when it is at least touch dry.

Nina, you make me smile. I love your work (as you know I happily own one). I identify with your second guessing. I do it all the time. Lately have been trying to discipline myself to make a plan and stick with it. I used to start my non FP pieces at $9.99 and my FP's at $19.99 which made sense to me but probably seemed a little strange to a potential buyer. Now I take one of those deep breaths and consistently list at $9.99 (the theory being to attract multliple bidders)

Dee

Hi Dee,
Thank you for your kind words.

I think it's great that you are trying to adhere to a plan!

I am currently thinking that I should start fps of my small drawings at $9.99 with a reserve, however I don't have a definite plan. ;)

Best of luck to you!

surreal
01-24-2004, 03:57 PM
It's good to be back, Dee-- and to be painting. For family reasons, I didn't paint for about six months, and I really missed it!

For taking the emotion out of it, I made a deal with a friend of mine last night. She has really good business sense, and I promised her that I will set a pricing policy and NOT DEVIATE from it without her permission. :cool: She'll make me justify what I want to do, and won't give me permission to do anything stupid. Art is a funny business-- I have never before been one to get emotional over business issues, but I put so much of myself into my painting that it's hard to stay cool-headed over the business side of it.

How nice that you have such a supportive friend, who has a head for business too!!!