PDA

View Full Version : Colors of Provence?... commission

CathyD
01-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Hi Everyone! Recently I received a request for a commission from a lady who had seen my work on ebay. She wants a landscape and would like it in the colors of Provence. I looked around and have an idea... but would like to be more clear on what I am interpreting that to be. I will submit a study for her approval, but before I do that I would like advice from those of you who are more likely to know what exactly the colors of Provence are! Sorry if this is a dumb question... Provence isn't in my neck of the woods!
Thanks for your help,
Cathy

dorith
01-22-2004, 04:06 PM
provence brings up the following colors in my head:
lavender
warm yellow
ochre
cobalt blue
gold
burnt sienna
sage green
grey

CathyD
01-22-2004, 06:17 PM
provence brings up the following colors in my head:
lavender
warm yellow
ochre
cobalt blue
gold
burnt sienna
sage green
grey

Thanks Dorith, that's what I was thinking, a warm golden palette with the colors you mentioned. Thanks for responding, I hadn't thought of lavender... sounds yummy!

This is not my normal palette, so I am looking forward to painting this.
Cathy

surreal
01-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Hi Cathy,
Congratulations on your commission!
I just did an image search on google.com and came up with several pages of images for you to view, if it isn't too late.
:)
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=provence+landscape&btnG=Google+Search

CathyD
01-23-2004, 01:39 AM
Hi Cathy,
Congratulations on your commission!
I just did an image search on google.com and came up with several pages of images for you to view, if it isn't too late.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=provence+landscape&btnG=Google+Search

Thanks Nina! That is so sweet of you to look that up for me. There are some really gorgeous landscapes there. Very inspiring. It wasn't too late, I had to order my canvas off the internet and so I have a little time to put my ideas down before it gets here.

Again thanks so much!
Cathy

teresasart
01-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Cathy- congrats on the commission! Please be sure to show us when it's finished! :D

Teresa

CathyD
01-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Cathy- congrats on the commission! Please be sure to show us when it's finished! :D

Teresa
Thanks Teresa! It will probably be a couple of weeks, I had to order some more canvas off the interenet, so I explained to the lady that there is a time frame before it's done.
Cathy

surreal
01-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Hi Cathy,
I look forward to seeing your completed painting, too!
:D

CathyD
01-26-2004, 01:53 AM
Hi Cathy,
I look forward to seeing your completed painting, too!
Well... begining to wonder if it is going to be a commission after all. I told her the price, she responded back and said what size she wanted. Then I emailed her with information that I had to order the canvas, and meanwhile I would work up a study for her to look at. She hasn't responded back and it has been several days now. So I emailed her last night saying I wanted to firm up the details of the transaction mentioning the cost again and the steps I take when I do a commission and asked her to confirm that she agrees. She hasn't responded back yet. But then sometimes people don't get to their computers on the weekend. I am not doing any work on it til I hear from her though.

Whatcha all think???
PS thanks for all your support, you guys are great!
Cathy

teresasart
01-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Hmmm... for commissioned pieces, I usually get a deposit- I ask for 50% of whatever the agreed upon price is up front, before I buy anything or start working. That way if they flake on me, I'm not stuck half way through with no return for my time (or having bought materials specifially to do a piece). People don't usually have a problem with this policy, and if they do, then it seems they are likely going to be too difficult to deal with anyway. I don't ask for a deposit from people I already know, and sometimes not from previous customers. I find that a deposit (even just a small one, like to cover materials) helps weed out the people who want you to do the work and then they'll decide if they like it and want to buy it.

Commissions can be good because they are guaranteed money (which can be very motivating in its own way) ;) but they can also be a pain. I have turned down commissions if I thought the customer and I couldn't be sure we were talking about the same thing, or if I got the sense that they were going to be too difficult. I hope this all works out for you.

Teresa

surreal
01-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Well... begining to wonder if it is going to be a commission after all. I told her the price, she responded back and said what size she wanted. Then I emailed her with information that I had to order the canvas, and meanwhile I would work up a study for her to look at. She hasn't responded back and it has been several days now. So I emailed her last night saying I wanted to firm up the details of the transaction mentioning the cost again and the steps I take when I do a commission and asked her to confirm that she agrees. She hasn't responded back yet. But then sometimes people don't get to their computers on the weekend. I am not doing any work on it til I hear from her though.

Whatcha all think???
PS thanks for all your support, you guys are great!
Cathy

HI Cathy,
I think you will have to wait and see. ;)
Good luck! I hope you will hear from her and very soon.
I agree that you shouldn't do any work on it until you hear from her.

I would not email her again.
Again, good luck! :)

CathyD
01-28-2004, 01:13 PM
HI Cathy,
I think you will have to wait and see. ;)
Good luck! I hope you will hear from her and very soon.
I agree that you shouldn't do any work on it until you hear from her.

I would not email her again.
Again, good luck! :)

She answered back that next day and apologized about not being clear as to whether the terms of the commission were acceptable. She also sent a website for me to look at that shows the kind of art she admires. That helped a lot since it showed me exactly what color scheme she's talking about. But... thanks for all your help everyone, you were right on!
Cathy

surreal
01-28-2004, 01:44 PM
She answered back that next day and apologized about not being clear as to whether the terms of the commission were acceptable. She also sent a website for me to look at that shows the kind of art she admires. That helped a lot since it showed me exactly what color scheme she's talking about. But... thanks for all your help everyone, you were right on!
Cathy

It sounds like you are off to a good start!

teresasart
01-28-2004, 01:48 PM
Great, Cathy- glad to hear it! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

Teresa