PDA

View Full Version : New to pastels - first attempt!

JessieRobin
01-22-2004, 12:06 PM
hello pastel gurus,
First of all - I am quite lost with the new upload mechanism so i posted a url instead!
This is my first pastel painting. I am an oil/acrylic/graphite gal but received pastels for Christmas - so was eager to try.
This a WIP - only 1/2 done - the entire "plains" foreground needs to be finished and a very pretty oak tree is going right in the middle. It is a scene from near my house.
It's rembrants and sennelier on green paper: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=85096&stc=1

Dark_Shades
01-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Hi Jessie..... welcome to the forum..... well this is really a great start you have here...... will look forward to seeing the tree emerge

afsmith
01-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Wow! If this is your first i can't wait to see other attempts! Great job!

Kathryn Wilson
01-22-2004, 02:50 PM
Welcome! Your WIP shows lots of depth and the clouds are really well done. I like your choice of colors too - looking forward to seeing this one done!

dalamr1980
01-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Amazing first attempt. I am about to start my first portrait in soft pastels and only 2nd project in pastels all together. I hope it comes out half as good as your project. I love the clouds the most.

Dalamar1980

meowmeow
01-22-2004, 03:21 PM
This is a wonderful start. I love the sky!
I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the painting emerge.
And...welcome!

Sandy

Maryeve
01-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Fabulous first attempt..you will love this medium!

DGrau
01-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Looks like a christmas present put to great use...keep up the good work..looking forward to eeing your progress on this piece.

DAvid

Kathryn Day
01-22-2004, 04:02 PM
Don't you just love pastels. You have a good start to what looks to be a really nice painting. Can't wait to see more!! Welcome to pastel forum.

Dyin
01-22-2004, 05:03 PM
nice sense of drama unfolding here.....welcome to the Pastel forum and believe you'll be a convert if you aren't already lol! will enjoy watching this develop!

JessieRobin
01-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Thank you all for your kind words... i was a bit timid with pastels, so it helped to ease my mind a bit. So far, I must say that i DO love the medium, it is definiting helping me with my color theory and mixing and I am also quite excited about the layering. Part of my success is due to good materials - which I leaned in the Oil forum. I bought good pastel paper and was given great pastels, so I was off to a good start.

Again, thanks for the encouragement, you are all very talented so it means a lot!

Regards,
Jessie

Laura Shelley
01-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Yes, good materials are half the battle. Getting frustrated with the cheap stuff isn't worth it.

That's a lovely landscape. I can feel the wind! The only thing I'd suggest is experimenting with the colors somewhat more. Try introducing the hues to each other for unity--the blue of the sky going into the trees and ground, just at a value and temperature suited to those areas. The clouds will pick up colors from the underlying ground as well. Pastel is wonderful for this. I'm sure you'll be happy with the medium!

MM

MKathleen
01-22-2004, 08:19 PM
:) Hello and welcome to The Pastel Forum--agree with the rest you have a great start. Lots of atmosphere showing and will look forward to seeing that big tree.
Kathy