PDA

View Full Version : Scary New Spoof Ebay Email

tonigart
01-21-2004, 06:50 PM
I was very concerned when I first read this, but I forwarded it to [email protected] They said it is a bogus email. Those spoofers are getting very tricky!

email title: EBAY ACCOUNT REACTIVATION eBAY SAFE HARBOR NOTICE

Dear eBay member

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your eBay account from a
foreign IP address and we have reasons to belive that your account was hijacked
by a third party without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling,the unusual log in attempts
may have been initiated by you.
However,if you are the rightfull holder of the account, click on the link below,
fill the form and then submit as we try to verify your identity.

"I REMOVED THE LINK, TONI"
The log in attempt was made from:
IP address: 205.188.209.166
ISP host: cache-dq04.proxy.aol.com

If you choose to ignore our request,you leave us no choice but to temporary suspend
your account.

We ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated and we
strongly recommend not to make any changes to your account in that time.

If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account
holder, please be aware that it is in violation of eBay policy to represent
oneself as another eBay user. Such action may also be in violation of
local, national, and/or international law. eBay is committed to assist
law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate
personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft.
Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to
ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

*Please do not respond to this e-mail as your reply will not be received.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department
eBay Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This eBay notice was sent to you based on request from seller. To not be a part of SquareTrade program, click here.
As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.
Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.
Copyright 2003 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

Toni

Paintonbrush
01-21-2004, 07:31 PM
And this one....I got this today...

ebay ebay <[email protected]> wrote:

Your personal information will be verified instantly. All the data is protected by the industry standard SSL encryption. All information is required and is kept confidential in accordance with eBay's Privacy Policy.

Enter Your Ebay Information
Ebay User ID

Password

Re-enter password

Email Address
Enter email password

Re-enter email password

Are you a seller too? Yes!
Comments
(if you have any)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Announcements | Register | SafeHarbor (Rules & Safety) | Feedback Forum | About eBay
Copyright 1995-2003 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Antivirus • Filtros antispam • 6 MB gratis
¿Todavía no tienes un correo inteligente?

lorelou
01-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Diane,
I recieved one today also and deleted it. They even send to people who are not ebayers. That is when I new all of it was a crock.

TeAnne
01-21-2004, 07:39 PM
I was very concerned when I first read this, but I forwarded it to [email protected] They said it is a bogus email. Those spoofers are getting very tricky!
Toni

OMG! That one would sure fool some people. Damn swines. :mad:

ElizaLeahy
01-21-2004, 09:39 PM
You only have to remember one thing. If the email has a link in it that it tells you to click - it's not from ebay.

So, don't panic over anything in the text, nothing there matters. Just don't click the link.

TRE
01-21-2004, 09:58 PM
If you are running Outlook Express, and have the status bar enabled (usually on the bottom of the screen) - when you mouse over the link, the status bar will show the address (URL) of the link. (Although, this may not be foolproof all the time).

Best bet is to never click on a link in an e-mail. These thieves are getting more clever all the time. Thanks for the heads up!!!!!

TeAnne
01-22-2004, 08:20 AM
What about this one? Even better still. Phoney Ebay Cards.
http://forums.ebay.com.au/thread.jsp?forum=18&thread=100007213&modifed=20040122211644

meriadoc
01-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Te : I know Ebay US has a visa card - I thought about applying for it - but we've got enough platinum cards lyin aroudn the place ;)

maybe the spoofers are trying to prey on people in countries that don't have the card.

also - I've been getting spoof emails to an email address i don't even use for ebay ;)

suzmary
01-22-2004, 10:17 PM
I received this one today, and I don't know if it's real or not, but I don't want to take any chances. I already gave the computer a virus once, I don't want to do that again! What galls me if this is a fraud, is they sent it from someone I have a transaction with. But from what I understand, if there is a link in the email, it's probably not from ebay.

Anyway, here goes, I hope:

Message from eBay Member
Marketplace Safety Tips:

Never respond to an unsolicited email that includes incentives to buy or sell an item off the eBay Marketplace. If you get such an email, please report it to eBay at http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.htm

Never pay for your eBay item through instant cash transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram—such services offer Internet shoppers no protection against fraud.

For more safe trading tips, please visit the eBay Security Center at http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/

Visit eBay, The World’s Online Marketplace ™ at http://www.ebay.com/