PDA

View Full Version : Self Portrait

sassybird
08-09-2001, 04:04 AM
Pastel worked wet with a 3" stiff natural bristle brush, and pastel pencils.

sandge
08-09-2001, 07:15 AM
Very interesting portrait. Love the quality of the linework.

Did you work from a mirror or memory? Do you feel that you have captured yourself? Would love to see a discussion about that in the portraiture forum.

Please, could you say a bit more about your technique? Did you wet the paper then put on the pencil, other way round or a mixture? Thanks.

sassybird
08-09-2001, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by sandrafletcher
Very interesting portrait. Love the quality of the linework.

Did you work from a mirror or memory? Do you feel that you have captured yourself? Would love to see a discussion about that in the portraiture forum.

Please, could you say a bit more about your technique? Did you wet the paper then put on the pencil, other way round or a mixture? Thanks.

Sandra,

I only dampened the brush just enough to spread the pastel. It is very much like painting in that respect. I layed color down in what would appear a haphazard manner and then worked the color with the brush.

I have done a series of these portraits, and this is the only one left that I feel comes closest to me. The other is owned by a pharmacist in Texas. I have also done some very dark ones during a time of deep depression. This one was done during a manic period. The colors definitely reflect me in that state. The line work was calculated.

I purposely left the head vague, so that people could read into the piece without my influence. That is one thing so wonderful about abstract, and I bless my prof for loosening me up and making me really work.

Here is one of my dark pieces for your comparison.

sandge
08-09-2001, 02:49 PM
Wow, what a contrast. Such a different feeling. Thanks for posting this. And thank you also for sharing in the portraiture forum. :D

GruvSyco
08-10-2001, 01:31 AM
I spend most of my time here lurking in the shadows but when I saw these I had to come forward just to say WOW, so...

WOW