PDA

View Full Version : Cheap web hosting???

debmorbeto
01-20-2004, 10:32 PM
I am thinking about changing my host and wondered if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

Thaneeyabean
01-20-2004, 11:35 PM
I am thinking about changing my host and wondered if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

I use Hostgator and I'm very happy with it. I'm on the $9.95/mo plan.

http://www.hostgator.com

I have also heard good things about Hummingbird Hosting, though I haven't used them myself.

http://www.hummingbirdhosting.com/

Good luck!

ElizaLeahy
01-21-2004, 12:02 AM
I've used Alba for over 2 years now, and I'm very happy with them. I pay $81 per year, and that's in AU dollars, so that will be ecconomical for the US people here.

Might sound silly to have your stuff hosted in Australia, but does it really matter WHERE in the world it is?

http://www.webhostsaustralia.com/linux.htm

nanabanana
01-21-2004, 12:54 AM
i use readyhosting.com and am a happy customer. Price is good $99 a year for: 500mb webspace, unlimited bandwidth, email .. and my favorite toll free tech support number. Also take a look at thier "specials" seems Here's the full details list. http://www.readyhosting.com/hosting.cfm

LauraO
01-21-2004, 10:37 AM
I've heard good things about gigabean. www.gigabean.com

I'm thinking of switching my hosting over to them. I use hostsave right now. It's about $8 a month but no asp/database capability at all.

Laura

meriadoc
01-21-2004, 11:21 AM
i host on my friends server - its $50 a year for 300mb and all other assorted goodies (including database and a photo gallery)

if you want more information, PM me :)

timelady
01-21-2004, 03:10 PM
I like godaddy.com. Several levels of hosting, I use the basic $3.99/mo one for a couple of clients. For .co.uk domains 123reg is good. :)

Tina.

CarlyHardy
01-21-2004, 09:50 PM
I use www.icdsoft.com They have a great record and have not been down in two years that I've had my site there. I store all my images for ebay there too. Cost...$50 per year first account, $40 after that. Excellent online service! and they answer all my really dumb questions! :)
carly

debmorbeto
01-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Now its going to be hard to decide!

Thanks all.

Sumafra
01-21-2004, 10:52 PM
I'm still at geocities.com. I started out with the free website, now I pay $5 per month not to have any ads on my site. Also, I can host all my ebay pictures there. Very happy with them.

springdream
01-22-2004, 10:51 AM
I use dot5hosting.com. I've used them for over 2 years and I can still count on one hand how many times my site dropped. The other day was one, so I hit their site, clicked on an icon to talk to live help and the problem was resolved in 4 lines of text. I have webmail that I can access from anywhere, which is hard to find with some services. We have 4 domains hosted with them and it's only 15/month. They also support PHP and MySQL databases and they have been a huge help in getting my site organized.

springdream
03-30-2004, 08:23 AM
I know this is an older post, but I wanted to take back my support of www.dot5hosting.com. My site dropped from the internet (along with our other 3 sites) and hasn't come back...no one will give me an answer, and every 5 hours they tell me "We're sorry, it will be another 4-5 hours". This started on the 24th and toady is the 30th.

So if you were considering this company, please change your mind. If you use this company, please take your site and run to another.

flax99
03-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Just a note... if you're REALLY cheap and just want bare-bones hosting, Hostica (http://www.hostica.com) has a plan for $1/month. No ads, no popups, use your own domain name. I'm using them and I'm pretty happy with the value so far. Hard to get any cheaper than that!

You can research the uptime record of some hosting companies here: Hyperspin (http://www.hyperspin.com/ranking.php?type=1). If the company you want to research isn't on there, try Googling the word "uptime" and the name of your company. That's how I found Hyperspin.

flax99

Cathy Morgan
03-30-2004, 09:26 PM
I like Readyhosting too. I have two client sites there and just published my own site there too. Phone tech support is good, along with email. I use Front Page and they supply the Front Page extensions. Also I think the free shopping cart they offer, Cart 32, will work out well. I compared a lot of shopping carts before deciding to go with Readyhosting for my site. Haven't installed the shopping cart yet, but I think it will work well. Cart32 has a helpful and very active Yahoo support group too.

For registering domain names, I don't think you can beat godaddy.com.

tmcclary
03-31-2004, 03:35 AM
I moved my site to shieldhost.com a few weeks ago when my local company became unreliable. So far so good. I pay $3.99/month, but they have a $1.99/month plan. I also use godaddy.com for domains. Can't beat them.

lorelou
03-31-2004, 03:48 AM
I went with Carleys ICD hosting and it is great. LIke she said, they answer all of your dumb questions and If you did something wrong they tell you what you did, and how to fix it. Sometimes they even fix it for you. They answer withen minutes. Total cost with domain name is $65 per year and less for extra websites.

RiverLynn
04-05-2004, 01:59 AM
I was wondering if anyone has tried Bravenet? They offer three types, one is free, no ads I believe are $4/mon.

River

nanabanana
04-07-2004, 01:45 AM
I use www.readyhosting.com at $100 a year 500mb and unlimited bandwidth I'm happy. Plus my extra website space doubles as photohost for my ebay auctions :)

Elankat
06-13-2004, 04:21 PM
I just wanted to bump this thread and recommend that anyone looking for a web host take the extra time to do a google search for reviews and to search the forums at www.webhostingtalk.com (also known as WHT), ESPECIALLY if the deal seems too good to be true (under $5 or promises "unlimited" disk space and/or bandwidth). WHT is a great resource for finding information on web host performance.

I'm in the process of moving to a new web host. After doing a lot of research, especially on the WHT forums, I will most likely move to www.hostgator.com and their "Baby" plan, which is $9.95 per month. They get excellent reviews/feedback on the WHT forums, no setup fee, Agora shopping cart, unlimited MySQL databases, a monthly term, and many other features.

However, if you don't need a shopping cart or unlimited databases and are willing to do a 1 year term, Lunar Pages receives stellar reviews on WHT. They offer a great plan for $7.95. Readyhosting, which Nivienne listed, also gets really good reviews on WHT and is a yearly term.

Fluid Hosting is another that receives good reviews. They have no setup fee and terms ranging from monthly ($7.95) to yearly ($6.36/month) for their introductory plan.

A known problem host is ixwebhosting. The owner was the co-founder of featureprice.com, which is one of the worst web hosts ever. Even though there are good reviews for ixwebhosting on the internet, those sites are reportedly owned by the owner of ixwebhosting and the reviews are probably not accurate. If I recall correctly, Dot5 also gets some pretty bad reviews on WHT.

I also do not recommend One on One Internet if you require any databases, ASP, or PHP. They simply do not know anything about these issues. Until I went to database-driven galleries, they were perfectly fine. However, I had so many problems with their support of these items (eventually they made mistakes that compromised my database security), that I am in the process of leaving them.

In general, if you have a very basic website and not many requirements for customer support, or need for advanced features, you can probably get a pretty cheap host and be satisfied.

lemonbird
06-13-2004, 04:42 PM
A known problem host is ixhosting. The owner was the co-founder of featureprice.com, which is one of the worst web hosts ever. Even though there are good reviews for ixhosting on the internet, those sites are reportedly owned by the owner of ixhosting and the reviews are probably not accurate. If I recall correctly, Dot5 also gets some pretty bad reviews on WHT.

I am assuming ixhosting.com is not the same company as ixwebhosting.com. I use the latter and have had no problems and nothing but great customer service from them. I did a google search on ixhosting and see that there used to be an ixhosting.com service. The ixhosting.com website doesn't even work.

rob p
06-13-2004, 04:51 PM
helpdeskgenius.com (http://helpdeskgenius.com/)
Mini-Commerce: $2.50/month ($1.88 paid annually)

Instant Setup
CPanel Control Panel
Unlimited Email accounts
80 MB Storage
2 GB transfer/month, no peak limit.
Multiple OC3 and Better connections.
Frontpage 5.0,FormMail, MySql, PHP, Perl. CGI, webstats, POP, SMTP w/SMTP_AUTH, FTP, Mail Forwarding and OSCOMMERCE!

I have used them for almost a year with no problems. Cpanel works nicely. Very affordable.
Good Luck.
Rob
pollien.com (http://www.pollien.com)

Elankat
06-13-2004, 05:03 PM
I am assuming ixhosting.com is not the same company as ixwebhosting.com. I use the latter and have had no problems and nothing but great customer service from them. I did a google search on ixhosting and see that there used to be an ixhosting.com service. The ixhosting.com website doesn't even work.

Sorry. I meant ixwebhosting.com. I'll change my post above to reflect that.

ixwebhosting is owned and operated by the co-founder of featureprice.com. Do a search on google and on www.webhostingtalk.com and you'll find many reasons to avoid this host. I was almost taken in by the bogus review on thehostingchart.com (incidentally, the site is registered by proxy), but further research showed that it's a web host that should be avoided.

lemonbird
06-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Hmm.... well, I've already paid for a year in advance, so I'll stick with them for this year. I haven't had a problem yet, I've been very happy so far. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll definately be more aware should any problems crop up. :) Thanks!

Randoman
06-15-2004, 12:57 PM

We use http://networkeleven.com/ they have the most options I've seen like 500 megs of space, 999 emails, unlimited sub domanis and much more for 6.95 check them out.
Plus they are on the Time Warner backbone and have a 99.9% up time. Very secure Linux servers with swapable power supplies, you can take a tour on the site give them a look.

DragonsChest
06-28-2004, 12:39 AM
I have been very happy with Yahoo!Store, but they were expensive, so I changed.

Now I use SiteRightNow (http://www.siterightnow.com) and they are affordable and very nice. Answer my emails very promptly, did research for me whenever I had questions, and even helped set up my Mal's shopping cart when I had trouble.

They are great for a beginner or someone who doesn't need a lot of really specialized stuff.

Sketchee
06-28-2004, 03:20 AM
I use www.icdsoft.com They have a great record and have not been down in two years that I've had my site there. I store all my images for ebay there too. Cost...$50 per year first account, $40 after that. Excellent online service! and they answer all my really dumb questions! :)
carly

I use them for my domain! They are excellent. 333mb of space, they're support system is 24 hours a day and they respond very quickly, comes with a bunch of features and support any type of script, mysql database, unlimited email accounts included, etc etc.

Do a search for reviews on the web. They're very well received by their customer base.

ElizaLeahy
06-28-2004, 04:00 AM
Can someone with the knowledge please tell me what 2000mb is in gigs?

gnomes99
06-28-2004, 08:53 AM
2 Gigabytes
1000mb = 1 Gigabyte

-gnomes

Penny220
06-28-2004, 09:12 AM
http://www.9esolution.com

100 Meg - $56 annually, no set up fee, domain name is $12.99