PDA

View Full Version : People buying stuff for Full Price!

CoolArtiste
01-20-2004, 09:58 PM
What's up with certain types of things selling for full price on ebay?
I wanted to buy an LOTR Two Towers extended version DVD set on ebay for a low price. I saw they had tons of these for sale, but people were paying the full retail price for them, same price you could get them for at Amazon.com or Walmart. Only, if you buy it from Amazon.com, you get free shipping, but with Ebay, you don't. So they're paying a lot more than they have to. WHY?
Plus I also looked at PDA's and I wasn't happy with the prices on ebay. You barely get any discount at all. What's the deal? I think if I'm buying used merchandise, I shouldn't have to pay more than half of the full price.

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 10:00 PM
It's the same at 2nd hand shops here, they always want top dollar and it stinks. Pays to shop around, no matter what you're buying.

meriadoc
01-20-2004, 10:11 PM
i know when i sell something second hand, i start just under the value of it.

which means 1/2 the retail value. I know i won't spend any more than what i could get it from a store.

when i sold one of my lenses, i started the bidding at $20, thinking i'd get $30 for it - i ended up selling it for $40 thereabouts, whcih isn't too bad. But i do get irritated at people thinking that just because their item is 6 months old, and looks new, they should get full price.

nanabanana
01-21-2004, 01:03 AM
yeip that's the trend... used items are selling just as high if not higher than new ones from reputable companies. That's why I opt to buy new with full warrenty and refunds, I can't see paying almost the same as new but getting a used product. The upside is if you're selling your used equiptment it's a nice profit

SabZero
01-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Are they really used though? Many businessess sell through eBay, so the prizes are the same...

I also have bought a PDA last year from eBay. In the first one, the seller ran off with my money (eBay will give me back the money-25EUR). The second was a good deal per se, but I think I'd prefer a different model today. ;)

I think you can get a good deal, but you have to invest some time in hunting for the best auctions. Also, only start bidding when the time left is 5 minutes. That way the high bidder before you might not get notified in time (that happens to me all the time, eBay not sending me notification!).

Also, try to search for typos. Lrod of the rings or so - these get overlooked and not many bids...

Antoine
01-21-2004, 12:43 PM
I think people believe things must be cheaper on ebay and therefore they don’t go through the trouble of shopping around. I’ve recently been interested in a slide viewer & started bidding at $15. When the price went up I did a search and found it new for $30. The final price of the auction was $68. That buyer did not look around!

If people that have faith in ebay see something they want they go for it without ever realizing the real value.

This is strange but true.

meriadoc
01-21-2004, 01:02 PM
i was looking for a lens, which, compared to the store where i eventually bought it from there was something like $4 difference. I ended up paying more as i knew i would get a warranty with it rather than not knowing..

but i shop around before I buy anything.

I was going to get my PDA off ebay, for something like $250 or something... ended up buying it from staples for $299 with a $100 rebates so i ended up paying $199 for my pda :)

impressionist2
01-22-2004, 08:21 AM
i know when i sell something second hand, i start just under the value of it.

which means 1/2 the retail value. I know i won't spend any more than what i could get it from a store.

when i sold one of my lenses, i started the bidding at $20, thinking i'd get $30 for it - i ended up selling it for $40 thereabouts, whcih isn't too bad. But i do get irritated at people thinking that just because their item is 6 months old, and looks new, they should get full price.

I think people get carried away by the bidding frenzy. I found my china pattern on E-Bay. I know how much they sell new from replacements.com, so I am not going to buy anything used for more than half it's new selling price.

People were bidding on used, right up to what it costs new! I felt like writing them and asking them if they knew what they were doing! Obviously not.

I think a lack of research on the buyers part is mostly to blame.

This is the underlying sales approach at Bloomingdales. :D

Renee

Noble
01-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Ebay is best for getting stuff that isn't made any more, or one of a kind items (like art). Now, if you are in business and are looking for odd lots of large quantities, this might be a place to find sellers of such things. I view ebay being aimed more a the retail end of things (i.e. regular everyday people with jobs), rather than the true wholesale channel, even in the wholesale line of merchandise.