PDA

View Full Version : THEY LIKE ME!! I Got in!!!

djstar
08-08-2001, 10:05 PM
Going to bring a picture with me when I go to New York to hang at the Pastel Society of America show!
I just got the note today!!!
I have to frame it in Plexi... well, mostly I have to get a frame and pack it up and ready it for the plane trip.
I am so excited I can hardly spit!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2001/PowWowTrio.jpg
I am in the middle of taking greeting cards of my pow-wow pieces around to the resorts and this really bolsters my resolve.
Just had to brag!!
NOW I finally have three things for my resume!
(The psychic I had looking for my lost money said I wouldn't win but probably would place..... HA she said I wouldn't FIND my money for a while and neener neener I did :p... but on this one I will respect her wisdom!!!)
dj*

Bobbie
08-09-2001, 12:46 AM
Way to go! Congratulations! That's really worth shouting about.:clap:

sandge
08-09-2001, 07:36 AM
Wow! That's terrific news! Congratulations.

Could you tell us about the application procedure? Thanks.

DFGray
08-09-2001, 01:50 PM
salute and salutations
regards
Dan

nancymae
08-09-2001, 05:20 PM
I am not surprised that you got in DJ....your work is inspiring...to say to least!!!!!! Wish I was closer to NY to go and see the show.

You make me want to go and paint......

CONGRATULATIONS TO A WONDERFUL PASTELIST!!!

Nancy

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ohju
08-09-2001, 07:23 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: WAY TO GO DJ!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

LDianeJohnson
08-09-2001, 09:00 PM
DJ,

I think you are finally getting what we all have seen for a very long time -- you are a painter!!!

I am so thrilled for you and am confident you have the potential to become a major player in "pastel land." Most 'big guns" would be reluctant to say this to you. I am a big gun (and I never said that before :eek: ). I can say, you are on your way!! I tire of the establishent holding back on potential painters, risking you getting ahead too soon. It's time you find out and I am glad you received it from this show's entry.

Go gettum' girl. We NEVER stop learning no matter how advanced. With every painting, with every stroke it is a discovery. I have watched you blossom and take a huge leap over the last year. This show alone is the confirmation you needed to say that you CAN and DO paint.

Enjoy and revel in the moment, and go to the show if at all possible -- take your husband, parents (your closest family). I was was so excited the first time I got in a NY juried show that I hand carried my pastel painting on the train (paid for a berth broke as I was) just to deliver the painting.

Diane

djstar
08-10-2001, 12:02 AM
You seem much closer than I am.
I have yet to frame it but put it at 19 x 25. I have to pack it in my suitcase or ask the airlines if they can stash it in first class or something on the way....
And it gets better: My friend, the one I am staying with because she is house sitting for a honeymoon.... she is going early and I was going to have some friends meet me on the Sunday of the wedding, the day I arrive.... but the friends from Yonkers are going to be in Harrisburg PA for the weekend. I seem to be destined at the station with my big picture trying to get into midtown with my luggage and will have a key with the doorman to let me in while the bride and groom party....
I don't think I planned this well.
Diane, I call you guys hot shots, but what else could a BIG GUN do!!!
I want to try to take one workshop one of the weekends through the PSA but as you can tell, I will be traveling much less than light, and wonder what goes on there. Anyone attend any of the PSA studios on weekends during the show?
If I buy a couple of flash memory, I may be sending digi pix of the adventure... where will I put the laptop???? UG!
dj*

I am busily printing up little greeting cards of my pow wow and two of my Indian pal and two of my cowboy to make little extra cash. Any fund raising suggestions would also be appreciated!!

LDianeJohnson
08-10-2001, 09:20 AM
...and don't forget to take your business cards, brochures, portfolio, etc. Maximize your visit to the Big Apple. And yes, do take photos of your journey. That's the stuff that great memories are made of!

Diane

djstar
08-10-2001, 11:01 AM
I think I will post this in another forum, but do you have any tips on what to bring to the galleries? Is there a standard format?
Do I make a presentation book of repros 8.x10 in a nice folder? Do I leave it? I understand dropping off a brochure but is it worth a run of post cards with one or maybe two of my pieces?
I have never exactly heard what a good format is for knocking on doors.
Once again... any hints?
dj*

Sandi
08-10-2001, 02:35 PM
:clap: :clap: WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO~!!!!:clap: :clap:

Way to GO, DJ!!! :)

LDianeJohnson
08-10-2001, 02:37 PM
Here's an article for you:

http://www.ldianejohnson.com/article_gfa.html

Also, just visit the galleries as you would any other store. Be a "customer" and walk in and out of the galleries to observe:

1. Whether your work would fit with what they represent
2. Is the staff knowledgeable about the artists they carry?
3. Is the staff helpful, nice, attentive to the customer?
4. Does the owner seem to be present and working in the gallery?
5. How much space do they have?
6. Is it a nice space for displaying YOUR work?
7. If you like a particular gallery, view and get the names of some of their artists to contact for reference. You want to be certain that others are happy with the representation they are receiving.
8. Price. Would your prices be in keeping to what is on the walls? If your prices would be the lowest or in the middle, ok, but do not be the highest. It's like buying the most expensive house in a neighborhood--harder to sell.

There's no rule of thumb. But I recommend selecting a couple of galleries from among those who favorably impress you from the questions above. Call and ask to speak to the owner. Tell them you are in town for the .....show and are seeking gallery representation. You are an emerging artist with a following (or whatever your statement is). Try to make an appointment to see them before you leave for home. If you cannot see them, ask them what their requirements are and if you could submit a package for their review. If they say yes, either take a clean, nicely laid out photo album or slides, a bio, artist statement and about 10 slides to leave behind with them. Do not leave your original photo portfolio with them, always hand carry that. Dress professionally, and above all be yourself.

There is to much to cover here, books have been written on this subject. I would say this in closing...always look at the gallery/artist relationship as a "team". They need you as much as you need them. Don't make any apologies or excuses for your work -- ever. Just show them what you can do and let the work speak for itself. Have confidence even if you're shaking in your boots.

I'm sure others here also have lots they can share with you on how to do this...

Diane