PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Domain Fowarding?

nanabanana
01-20-2004, 01:44 AM
Has anyone used domain fowarding? as in you buy a domain name park it then have it foward to your main site?

I already have artzbox.com as my main site but went ahead and bought 4 other domain names and planned to split my main site into 3 chunks (art, personal, undecided ) and have those new domains foward people to a specific page in my artzbox website aka the new index page for parked domain name.

I worry would google see it as spamming and banning my main site artzbox.com? OR should I have the cat domain name foward to a free site or a earthlink site and have all it's links go back to the cat specific page on artzbox.com.

I can't afford to actually host 4 live domains ..but at the same time I'm trying to streamline artzbox.com so it's not all over the place. I noticed many of you have your art site focused only on your art vs. other interesting things :)

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 01:47 AM
I'm sorry, I don't understand :(
WOW I like that ebay art web ring :D

nanabanana
01-20-2004, 02:26 AM
Teanne - :) that's ok on dom foward = on ebay artring .. Thank yo so much for bringing it up. I started a new thread just for that topic. Somehow i didn't make mental connection that "ebay art ring" and "WC" had lots in common. click for ebay art webring thread. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161258

timelady
01-20-2004, 06:52 AM
I think you'd be okay. We have an art site where we have two domains pointing back to one because we wanted both the .com and .co.uk domains. Some other sites I know do it too. I think it's common practice for businesses to own all variations of their name. :)

Instead of paying for forwarding though (if you pay for it) you should be able to contact your space provider (if you're paying for it) and have them set it up so that all the domains are simply registered to go to the one location. I think we did this by telling our space provider and then simply entering the same DNS numbers for all of the domains in the set-up forms where we bought the names.

Tina.

Sumafra
01-21-2004, 11:42 PM
I have a cheap website on geocities ($5/ month) and I use domain forwarding to point my domain to that site. Works well for me. Don't know about Google and multiple names however. Sorry, can't help.