PDA

View Full Version : Paypal for Canadians

Mybubblewall
01-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Been wanting to get a paypal account for a long time but am completely confused and clueless as to how it works, especially for canadians. Read through their user agreements and such but they weren't very clear when it came to international accounts on things like service fees, charges, etc. Is there anything I should be wary about? Any canucks out there willing to share their experiences?

(Never had an account before so don't know what specific questions to ask you folks...)

Thanks for the help,
Crystal

jocelynsart
01-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Hi Crystal: I have had my Paypal account for several years. First, I could only accept payments and not make a payment via a Credit Card, only pay with money sitting in my PP account as cash. I could transfer my payments to my bank account only. Now, Canadians can hook up their bank account for debits or it can come from a CC without having a balance sitting in Paypal. You register, and confirm your bank account once they deposit a tiny deposit like .25 or so into it. Then you follow a link to confirm the account.
Unconfirmed means that your credit card has not been entered on to register and verified. Confirmed means it is verified. Unconfirmed you can still use but Paypal does nto cover Buyers if there is any claims against the Seller; you. It just means Paypal has not verified youa re who you say you are and the owner of the credit card.
I do have my Bank acct. registered and confirmed so I can debit funds from it on Paypal. Otherwise, I could only transfer money To my bank acct. It takes about 5 days for transfers to show in my account. It costs .50 cents to transfer funds to a Can. bank acct.. Using the funds to buy something via Paypal is free. I don't think there is a fee to debit money from my bank account via Paypal.
Go in and register and follow the instructions. You then can go to your Account on Paypal after signing in and add a credit card or a bank account. They dep. a small amount to these which you need to get from yoru bank statement, then go in and enter the amounts via the link you will receive in an email from Paypal. Then you will have confirmed account status. You don't need to have a confirmed bank account status unless you plan on hooking up yoru bank account in order to do direct debits from it on Paypal. I just did that recently as I don't keep a balance in Paypal incase I buy something or pay for something.
Just follow directions, you'll see as you go along. I am telling most of this from memory and having done some of the steps over a couple years.
It is now way more convenient for Canadians than it was at the beginning.
Sorry, this was a bit wordy. I was trying to put down everything I could remember off the top of my head.
Love Paypal!
Also, if you happen to list in the Mature Audiences categories you cannot take Paypal or have the Paypal option on your auctions.
Joss

Mybubblewall
01-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Thanks a ton Joss!! I don't mind wordy at all. I appreciate the amount of detail you included. It has cleared up a lot of my confusion.

Crystal

Sumafra
01-21-2004, 11:49 PM
Crystal, I've also had an account for a few years. I am 'Verified International'. Do do this, they charged a small amount to my credit card (I think it was $1) and I had to go online and check for a special code with showed up on my statement, then I had to enter this code at Paypal and that verified that my credit card was valid.

I have never had a problem with Paypal. I recently even had a transaction in Canadian Funds for a painting I sold to someone in Toronto. That was great because there was no exchange to worry about.

I have my bank account linked up so that when I have a payment, I have the money deposited directly into my bank account. Works very well.

maverick
01-22-2004, 12:29 AM
One thing that you can't do is transfer US$ funds from PayPal to your Canadian US$ account.

The first time I transferred money from PayPal to my bank account was easy and fast. I think it only took 3 days.

If you are opening a PayPal business account, be careful that you choose a name that you can live with. It is practically impossible to change the name later, even though they seem to have a way to do it. They just send you in circles.