PDA

View Full Version : Price on 29" X 39" Portrait Commission?

TeAnne
01-19-2004, 05:46 PM
I have no idea what to charge.
I would have to make up the canvas etc.
Charge hours X 30 days (Has to be completed by 30 days)
Cost of materials, phone calls etc
Cost of preliminary drawings.
Will I use a contract?

Can anyone please toss me some hints please? :)

TeAnne
01-19-2004, 07:21 PM
*bump*

TeAnne
01-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Well.......
I rang a friend and she mentioned 33% deposit to cover materials, drawings etc.
Possibly total price of $500 - $600.

Anyone agree with this or can offer anymore Info Please?

surreal
01-19-2004, 08:39 PM
I like the idea of 50% down.
But the advice of people who frequently do commissions is more valuable than mine.
;)

TeAnne
01-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Thanks Nina :) I wish they would add their 2 cents worth in here then.
I have to give the man the quote some time today.

surreal
01-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks Nina :) I wish they would add their 2 cents worth in here then.
I have to give the man the quote some time today.

I also think you must have a contract for him to sign, since you need to have an agreement with the buyer in regard to the terms you agree on.

It sounds like you will we spending a considerable amount of time creating this portrait.

The terms of the contract is something I am not familiar with.

But my thinking is that the 50% down payment should not be refundable, assuming he does not like the finished portrait. You need to be compensated for the effort and time you put into this piece.

In ignorance,
Nina ;)

TeAnne
01-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks Nina
Do you remember LeAnneKat gave us a URL to her site so we could access her contract, ages ago so we could adapt it for our needs or something to that effect? Well I was just reading thru' that and it is a goodie. It also states 33% deposit. So I might run with that. I'll double check with LeAnneKat first though. :)

surreal
01-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks Nina
Do you remember LeAnneKat gave us a URL to her site so we could access her contract, ages ago so we could adapt it for our needs or something to that effect? Well I was just reading thru' that and it is a goodie. It also states 33% deposit. So I might run with that. I'll double check with LeAnneKat first though. :)

It sounds like you've got yourself an excellent plan!
:cat:
;)

TeAnne
01-19-2004, 09:01 PM
It sounds like you've got yourself an excellent plan!
:cat:
;)

*ugh* I don't know what I'm doing. That's why I was hoping for some input, I'd have options to play with. I don't want to quote myself out of this commission.

jocelynsart
01-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Hi Teanne: I don't know what style you will be doing it in which would most likely determine the time involved too. Is there alot of pre composition figuring out? Or, are you working with a straight head and shoulders? Basically, I know my time involved for what I offer and generally what someone asks of me. So, I have flat fees. I have worked them out so my Net is about $18-$25 an hour. Usually, it works out to about $22 an hour in the end.
Now, this is not normal but I don't take deposits. I used to but after about 6 yrs, I stopped bothering. It made too much record keeping. It was easier to get full pmnt. at the end. I always have materials anyway. I have never had anyone not want their portrait. I have even had people insist on paying more than I asked, many times. Small changes the odd time is all I run into. But, this is my business choice after years of doing them. It has never been a problem. Yet, I choose to Not deal with high priced, what may be considered real portraits, like oils done from many sittings, travelling, etc. It really is Not a desire of mine regardless of the monetary benefits that may be there. So, I can afford to take the chance in not doing a contract nor take deposits. I would not be out alot if they never came to pick it up. I offer what I am comfortable taking on with my lifestyle and time possibilities for a business that I wanted to pursue.
So, I'd get a deposit in your case probably, to be safer. My friend takes about 30% and has talked about taking 50% in future. He gets a second deposit at a certain period of time into the portrait and then the balance at the end. But, this would be for very high priced portraits, in the thousands. Otherwise, a deposit and final pmnt. should be fine. I am ok with verbal contracts with my prices but do a small contract if you and the client feel you want to.
For the size you are stating and if I were to do acrylic on canvas I would probably be fine with minimum $600.00-$700.00, if it were just a head and shoulder only. Thatt would take me about 12-15 hours probably.
I hope this helps. It would be easier to know what the subject and reference is like.
Plus, I just do watercolours mostly for commissions. Some are very time consumign with many reference images needed and some are very simple straight forward.
Sorry, this may be of no help. Hopefully it is. I am not really the greatest example to go by as I do things a little unorthodox and don't choose to do high priced commissions on canvas unless someone request this.
Joss

TeAnne
01-19-2004, 09:18 PM
ahhhhh Joss, thank you for this.
Okay, it will be from photos, I believe in the style of this one.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2004/1887-oilNude8sml.jpg

28" X 38" is quite huge for me. I would also ask him to arrange a courier as I wouldn't trust our postal service with it.

I also thought of an hourly rate of say $20 and my gf said she charges $25 per our for her Mural work. I have 30 days to do it in as of time he posts the photos.

Lady Rando
01-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Thanks Nina

Any chance you could post this for the rest of us to see? Thanks.

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 12:32 AM
I'd love too but I think at the time it was a private URL. I'll see if LeAnneKat will come in here. :D

ElizaLeahy
01-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Sorry for not answering earlier Te, I sort of passed it over assuming you would be getting lots of answers :(

I know what *I* would do, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing or if it would be right for others. I've not done any that large either.

I think that $500AU sounds about right, and I usually ask for a 30% deposit for materials, and then settle for not getting a deposit because I'm not forceful enough to insist :)

I hate doing commissioned portraits because I'm always nervous.

If you are doing it in acrylics, or even oils, 30 days is plenty of time. Two/three days to do the painting, a week at most to dry, then post. Are they in AU?

If you have problems doing a larger work - buy a bigger brush :)

I can't think of anything else.

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Eliza, Your reply is most welcome. I was hoping you would reply.
Yes, they are in Oz. It will be in oil (I don't know enough about Acrylics and I hate 'em) lol
I will need the deposit or a %age at least so i can buy the pine and strapping to make the stretcher. I have the Canvas.
And, yep, I'm as nervous as all hell and I havn't started yet. lol
Alo, yep, yep, have big brushes :D
Thanks again E :)
Sorry for not answering earlier Te, I sort of passed it over assuming you would be getting lots of answers :(

I know what *I* would do, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing or if it would be right for others. I've not done any that large either.

I think that $500AU sounds about right, and I usually ask for a 30% deposit for materials, and then settle for not getting a deposit because I'm not forceful enough to insist :)

I hate doing commissioned portraits because I'm always nervous.

If you are doing it in acrylics, or even oils, 30 days is plenty of time. Two/three days to do the painting, a week at most to dry, then post. Are they in AU?

If you have problems doing a larger work - buy a bigger brush :)

I can't think of anything else.

ElizaLeahy
01-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Eliza, Your reply is most welcome. I was hoping you would reply.
Yes, they are in Oz. It will be in oil (I don't know enough about Acrylics and I hate 'em) lol
I will need the deposit or a %age at least so i can buy the pine and strapping to make the stretcher. I have the Canvas.
And, yep, I'm as nervous as all hell and I havn't started yet. lol
Alo, yep, yep, have big brushes :D
Thanks again E :)

If you feel uncertain while you are painting there is always the portrait forum here. Let me know if you do ask a question there and I'll go look as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing it!

By the way - I love your cats! I hope you do well with them :)

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 12:57 AM
Thanks Eliza
I appreciate your offer to help :clap: :clap:

And Good Luck :D Corporate Kitty is vibrant :D My first Real acrylic. :D

ElizaLeahy
01-20-2004, 01:18 AM
I was scared of acrylics too. I couldn't get over the layeriness of them after the blenderiness of the oils

(I'm glad this thing has no spell check - it would have kittens!)

But I bought some books and practiced some different techniques and I'm still scared of them :)

I just realised that if I want to do something realistic I have to use oils - I'm just not good enough with acrylics. For abstract/expresionistim etc however, acrylics are just perfect. I can slap them around, get them on the floor (they peel off my lino!) if I make a mistake let it dry and paint over it. Interesting textures are formed that way!

And I can roll them :)

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 01:33 AM
hahahaah " blenderiness " a new artword/artspeak :D I love it.

I like the red and yellow in acrylics, they come out so well and especialyy with the varnish over the top. WOW

I have carpet in the studio. They wern't supposed to put carpet but they did grrrrrrrrrrr So, I have to be careful. I'll be glad when we get the patio. Chuck some cardboard down and away we go :D
I did the kitties in Josonja, so it's the good stuff. My gf was trying to teach me folk art for awhile. I was hopeless, especially with those styleized roses. *ugh* lol

ElizaLeahy
01-20-2004, 01:41 AM
Te, how about you buy some plastic canvas's - plenty big - put them down and PIN them to the carpet with nappy pins around the edges so that they don't creap? You can still be careful, but you won't have to panic.

I'm so inventive lol :)

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Te, how about you buy some plastic canvas's - plenty big - put them down and PIN them to the carpet with nappy pins around the edges so that they don't creap? You can still be careful, but you won't have to panic.

I'm so inventive lol :)

Very inventive :D but I dont even have room really. lol It's getting that way, that our neighbour has offered to store some of my work in his spare room. lol Thankfully too cos my gf is bringing a lot of my art home from her place on thursday night. *arghhhhhhhhh* Mind you, I havn't seen this stuff for 5 years. I'm really going to have fun culling it. lol

ElizaLeahy
01-20-2004, 02:01 AM
That's funny because my neighbour has all my monster big pieces on his walls! I didn't have the room, they repainted and had no decent art (except one piece which he moved to his bedroom). Now they have a large naked man over their diningroom table, three "beach bums" in the loungroom, and a naked blue back in the hall, and a female torso over a sideboard cupboard!

I keep forgetting about them. I should look for another gallery, except I couldn't be bothered, and what would Paul put on his walls then?

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 02:04 AM
I know, find another gallery and paint Paul some new nudes :D And then his visitors will see them and buy, buy, buy :D

ElizaLeahy
01-20-2004, 03:38 AM
That was the theory! I don't think he is pushing them though. Either that, or he needs more visitors!

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 04:18 AM
That was the theory! I don't think he is pushing them though. Either that, or he needs more visitors!

hmmmmmm Cick Paul out and get a new neighbour? :evil:

jocelynsart
01-20-2004, 07:02 AM
Hi Teanne: It sounds like your price is fine for your work load. You should be ok.
Good luck with it!!!!!
Joss

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 07:57 AM
Hi Teanne: It sounds like your price is fine for your work load. You should be ok.
Good luck with it!!!!!
Joss
Thanks Joss, so if I quote $550, I should be okay?

Elankat
01-20-2004, 10:44 AM

I have no problem with sending people the url if they request it via PM, however I don't want to post it. The contracts have not been reviewed by a lawyer, so I want to limit my potential liability. Also, I track who has requested the url so I can notify them of changes to the forms or potential problems. :)

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks for comeing by LeAnneKat :)

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 07:40 PM
I sent the email out this morning, so fingers X'ed now.
I hope this is professional sounding enough.
G'Morning XXXXXXX
Bla bla bla. :)
Well, I did all the calculations and asked around all my arty friends just for second opinions.
The going price for a canvas the size you want is between $500 & $700.
I have opted to charge $550 with a 33% non refundable deposit.
The deposit will cover the pine to make the stretcher and preliminary drawings/small painting (For correct colour choices etc) which I will email to you for your approval.
I deceided not to do a contract as they are too strict and need to be solisitor approved. So if, it's okay by you and you decide to go ahead with the deal will a "gentleman's agreement suffice"?
I would also ask that you arrange for a courier to collect and pack your painting when the painting is finished. There is no way that I would trust Australia Post with a painting of this size.
Please let me know as soon as you can, so that I can go ahead with the time consuming preparations of the canvas. Also your photos please, which should be as clear and close up as possible and your instructions.
Thank you XXXXXXXX, I hope you find all above in order and acceptable.
TeAnne
I hope I havn't over charged :(

jocelynsart
01-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Hi Tea: I think you should be fine with $550.00. I hope it goes smoothly for you!
Joss

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Hi Tea: I think you should be fine with $550.00. I hope it goes smoothly for you!
Joss
Thanks Joss, Just waiting to hear back with agreeance :D

TeAnne
01-20-2004, 10:53 PM
Yay :d