PDA

View Full Version : Triptych Sales Question

Bigtime
01-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to these boards and have just started selling some of my work on eBay. (My first three pieces up have all sold in the last 2 days.) I have a question regarding selling tactics.

I've got 3 paintings , each on an 8" by 10" canvas board that I would like to sell. "Technically" they are a set meant to be seen together, but all 3 paintings have promise on their own as well.

My question is whether it would be better to sell all 3 together to keep the set intact, or sell them in 3 separate auctions; hoping that not only might there be someone who bids on all three, but that bids on some might go higher due to someone only wanting one or two of the pieces.

Any opinions from people more well-versed in selling art online would be much obliged.

Bigtime

CarlyHardy
01-19-2004, 05:09 PM
You might do some research to see how well the triptychs are selling on ebay before you make your final decision.

If you feel that together, you can use a higher starting bid and make more on the paintings sold together, than if individually, you might want to do it that way.

You really can't depend on a buyer to choose all three just because they relate to one another. If sold separately, you might sell one and then have two that are similar...or sell two and only have one left.

....or you could go with three as individuals and if all of them don't sell....paint another, then try out the triptych approach!
carly

ElizaLeahy
01-19-2004, 06:37 PM
A problem is that they are on canvas board and so have to be framed.

If I were you I'd sell them as a triptych and show them all "framed" together (make sure you specify that the frame doesn't come with the paintings).

If you sell them seperately you are losing the advantage of size - a 30" painting (or 24" depending on which way they go) is easier to sell then a 8" x 10". You can ask more money as a starting price for a larger work. You also might sell two and get left with one small painting to try and sell seperately.

Also, don't be afraid of putting your auction URL in your signature here. That way we can give better feedback.

Sumafra
01-21-2004, 11:54 PM
I would recommend you try and sell them as a set first, and if they don't sell, then try listing them separately.

kiwicockatoo
01-22-2004, 08:25 AM
I recently listed a set of five separately. They all sold - but to two different people. Both ladies wanted a set, so I ended up mailing all of them to one lady and doing a commission for the other. Yesterday I sold a pair that I listed together. I'm still trying to figure out what works better. If you list them separately, someone who really wants them will have to bid on all of them. I think I really gambled with five! However the five could be bought and enjoyed separately. If it's a set that just can't be broken up, I would list them togther (I rationalized that you couldn't break up a salt and pepper set, could you?). But if you list them as a set, make sure you price them for the least you will accept for them. My pair sold for $42 (this is a set of minis here, 2 x2 each) which sounds ok but if I had sold them separately I would have gotten more in the 30 - 40 each ballpark.

Don't know if this helps - just babbling about my most recent experiences. I certainly have a long way to go to figuring out ebay. This week I'm trying out subtitles and listing in a single category (usually I list in 2). With ebay, there's always room to play.
Brenda