PDA

View Full Version : My very first pastel!

Shey
08-08-2001, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone! This is my first pastel. It is also the first time I have posted anything to wetcanvas. I'm new and hope I'm doing this right. I just need to get some feedback on how I'm doing with this medium. (I won't quit my day job yet!). I want to let you all know that Iv'e been lurking and I think you all are so talented and you all have inspired me so much and I thank all of you for that.

Shey

sandge
08-08-2001, 02:20 PM
Awwwwww that's really cute. You've managed to capture expression and also the texture of the fur.

what I would suggest is that you need to think about your background as an equally important area in the painting. Really think about how it can enhance the main subject - for example, exploiting strong tonal contrast and thinking about the placement of the subject in relation to the edges of the painting.

Great job, though! :D

Shey
08-08-2001, 11:08 PM
Thanks so much for commenting on my pastel. You mentioned strong tonal backgrounds. I was afraid that putting too dark a background in would make it hard to see the subject. Also do you think he is to centered? I am so new to this but I have learned a little about horizon lines and such and that they should never be in the center of the paper. Is that what you meant by watching the edges of the paper in relation to the subject?

Shey

ceEllicott
08-09-2001, 01:54 AM
Shey

Your pup is adorable and I agree that the expression and fur are outstanding.

Just one suggestion:
the back foot (in the middle) looks obscene at first glance. YOu might want to tone it down, or let the blue blanket cover it as it sort of detracts attention from the cute face.
:)

cheryl

sandge
08-09-2001, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Shey
Thanks so much for commenting on my pastel. You mentioned strong tonal backgrounds. I was afraid that putting too dark a background in would make it hard to see the subject. Also do you think he is to centered? I am so new to this but I have learned a little about horizon lines and such and that they should never be in the center of the paper. Is that what you meant by watching the edges of the paper in relation to the subject?

Shey

Hi!
I don't think you would need to make the background overly dark. In fact, the delicate tones of the background really suit the subject. Just be aware of enhancing a light area by putting something dark next to it. One of the reasons the dog's head draws the eye is because it is a strong dark against light. The body is light and by being a bit bolder with the contrast next to it in certain areas you could make your picture stronger.

The thing to consider when placing a portrait - pet or human - is the relationship of the subject to the edges of the picture. The shape of the spaces where the subject is not - the negative space - is just as important as the subject.

wendee
08-09-2001, 07:42 AM
I agree with cheryl..that foot threw me at first when i looked at the pic.....but otherwise i think you done a great job on it...:D
Oh and bye the way welcome to wetcanvas...:D

sandge
08-09-2001, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by wendee
I agree with cheryl..that foot threw me at first when i looked at the pic.....

I didn't see that at all

Shey
08-09-2001, 11:20 AM
Hi everyone! Thanks for all the nice comments , I know what you mean Sandra!! I do need to pay attention to lights next to darks. This being my first pastel, I am using it as a learning experience for the three I'm working on now. I am painting my three children one by one. I will post those too when I finish them. My dog I did on charcoal paper. I'm doing my kids on Mi-Tientes. I really appreciate everyones help so much! I don't know what to do about the dogs foot? Thats how it was positioned under him. He was only a few weeks old and thats how he would sit.

Shey

Ohju
08-09-2001, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Shey
Hi everyone! This is my first pastel. It is also the first time I have posted anything to wetcanvas. I'm new and hope I'm doing this right. I just need to get some feedback on how I'm doing with this medium. (I won't quit my day job yet!). I want to let you all know that Iv'e been lurking and I think you all are so talented and you all have inspired me so much and I thank all of you for that.

Shey

Aww he's soooooooo cute! I like the way you captured the expression and his eyes are so adorable!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
I don't see anything wrong with the paws...those women got something else on their mind! :eek: hee hee j/k Welcome to pastels! and WC!

4vincent
08-10-2001, 06:33 AM
Hi, and welcome to pastel,

You've done a good job getting your "feet wet". What kind of paper were you using on this? The reason I ask is that your surface you work on can work with or against you. Using a surface with enough tooth will give you added confidence.

Canson, as you mentioned using next is a good choice in starting. In case you don't know, it has two distinct surfaces; a mottled machine-made surface on one side, and a smoother surface on the other. Most pastellists (myself included) prefer the smoother side.

As far as your pooch, you've done a nice job. You could put a gray/green background (not too strong) to make the color of its coat pop out. Other suggestions, softening that "forbidden foot" or placing it in shadow might help. Highlights on the eyes should be on the same side of each eye (in people too) and the same size. Mind you, these are just suggestions; now on to your next painting! Ken

Shey
08-11-2001, 04:10 PM
Thanks for your comments! I did "Riley" on plain ole charcoal paper. I didn't have anything else at the time. I am doing my kids on Canson, but already have found a problem! I already have too much pastel on my daughters face and it won't take any more. I am using Rembrandt pastels for the first layer and now am using Sennelier because they are softer and seem to cover a little better. Someone mentioned using sandpaper type papers and they will hold more layers of pastel. I am waiting to receive some "Sabretooth" pastel paper from Dick Blick and I will try it. I will scan the portrait I am doing now and send it to you all. Maybe you can help me figure out how to do more shading on her face.

Thanks!

Shey

4vincent
08-13-2001, 08:00 AM
Yes, you can get more layers of pastel on sanded surfaces, like Sabertooth, Wallis, and others. Many pastellists start out with the harder pastels, like Nupastels, Rembrandts, and work up to the softer ones, using a light touch in their applications, thus saving the tooth of the surface for more layers.

If pastel portraiture is what you would want to pursue, Daniel Greene has a good video on painting a pastel portrait where he covers many aspects of this. Ken

RuthT
08-13-2001, 07:09 PM
First, or a hundred and first, this is a lovely pastel Shey. You've done a terrific job on the face and the fur, and I like the whole color scheme - kind of suits a young puppy :)

Shey
08-14-2001, 11:42 AM
Thank you so much. I really need all the encouragement I can get!!

Shey

LDianeJohnson
08-16-2001, 07:49 PM
Shey,

What a cutie-pie. Some paintings are "cutsey", but because your pup is just plain good-looking, it works. A fine job on your first pastel! You have captured the feel of the fur and delicacy of the dog.

Paint more of these and you'll grow as a painter -- just by doing.

For this particular piece, I would not do anything...call it done...and go on to the next. If you wish to frame it, crop the bottom 1/3 to focus on the head/torso.

Again, cute pup!

Diane

Artistammy
08-20-2001, 03:59 PM
:clap: I love your painting! You did a great job to be a beginner. If you do get too much pastel, to add more you can spray a layer of fixative and then you can add more layers. It isn't best to plan to do this but sometimes it just happens and you don't want to quit before you're finished.

Tammy

Shey
08-22-2001, 12:01 AM
Thank you for the compliment on my painting. I do have a question for you though......I was told that using fixative on your pastel painting changes the colors of the pastels and sometimes not in a good way, have you found this to be true? i have never used any fixative, i just try to get them under glass asap.

Shey

stealth
08-31-2001, 08:09 PM
all i can say is i wished my first pastel looked like this,i think the fur looks well done and the way you applied the pastel keeps every thing clean.:angel:

ptantono
09-01-2001, 06:47 AM
Well done for the first one Shey. Keep learning, keep praticing.
I use fixative, for me, I dont find colour changes after spraying fixative. Try on the first layer if you are doubt.

Very cute dog

Patricia:angel:

Timmer
09-04-2001, 07:44 PM
This is a wonderful first attempt at Pastels! The eyes are great! The only advice I would have, is that the background distracts a bit from this otherwise wonderful painting. Im looking foward to more of your work.

Cheers!