PDA

View Full Version : Minatures

Saau_Hatshepsut
08-08-2001, 10:01 AM
Hi all, just wanting to know a little about minatures... Does anyone here do them? What size are they supposed to be? Any particular medium? etc... I'm pretty much a novice, so any information is appreciated.
Thanks,

Saau.

Minibrush
08-09-2001, 09:04 AM
Hi Saau_

I do miniature landscapes in oils and watercolor, also sculpt wildlife and other pieces from polymer clays. I've been entering the miniature competitions in the USA for a few years now, and their guidlines are often the same or similar as the international competitions.

Here's an overview of what is considered "miniature". First, the 1/6 scale rule, in that your subject matter should not be any larger than 1/6 it's actual size. A portrait head would not be more than 1 1/2" (3.8cm) in height.

Most competitions request the image not be larger than 25 sq. inches ( 160 sq. cm), frames not to exceed 56 sq. inches (360 sq. cm).

Mats and frames must be delicate and in proportion to the work.

People work on a variety of supports. Ivory, (with restrictions on Ivory, most people just use old piano keys for supply) Ivorine (artificial ivory "looking" plastic sheets that can be cut to size), polymin (like Ivorine, but thinner), masonite, metals, primed silk, and probably many more.

There are some marvelous web sites to find more information, including shows, materials and classes.
There are some marvelous web sites to find more information, including shows, materials and classes. This is a great one to start with, plus they have links to many other societies, worldwide

The Hilliard Society of Miniaturists.

http://www.art-in-miniature.org/

Good luck,
Minibrush

Saau_Hatshepsut
08-09-2001, 09:23 AM
Thanks for that, I'll check out the site.
I've mostly only heard minatures being referred to as paintings, and was wondering if pen and inks also qualified, if remaining under the size limit.
Thanks for your reply,

Saau.

Minibrush
08-09-2001, 01:43 PM
Yes, I believe pen & ink would qualify in the majority of shows (competitions). I've seen etchings, wood block prints, collage, and limited edition prints, as long as they are numbered with edition numbers. Usually anything but glicee or computer generated pieces. I know many of the shows enjoy seeing work outside of oils and watercolors. Most shows include a broad variety of styles and techniques. One of the winners in the Washington DC show last year was a pen and ink portrait.

Here's another link to an American miniature art society, they too, have their own definition of miniature art.
http://www.miniature-art.com/

If you can think of any other questions I would be glad to help, if I can. I'm certainly no expert, but it is the world I love. I always feel the more miniature artists there are in the world, the more it will be recognized as fine art. Many people still think dollhouse only.

Minibrush

Saau_Hatshepsut
08-10-2001, 08:46 AM
Thanks for your help, I think you've pretty much answered all my questions (for now *S*).

Saau.

Annalizalou
09-08-2001, 02:50 PM
Is there a mail order supplier in the US who carries supplies to paint in miniture. Specifically for min. portraites on faux ivory?

Susan

Minibrush
09-09-2001, 11:18 AM
Yes there is. Polymin and Ivorine can be obtained through MiniArt Supply in Indianapolis. Their email is [email protected]

I hope this helps.

Minibrush

Annalizalou
09-09-2001, 02:42 PM
Thanks Minibrush!! I have always wanted to have a go at those miniture portraits. I'll take a look.:D

Susan