PDA

View Full Version : Project Discussion: Post Card Exchange 2004

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Strawberry Wine
01-18-2004, 12:52 PM
A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: Post Card Exchange 2004
Project Leader: Strawberry Wine
Relative Difficulty: Irrelevant
Type Restrictions: Postcard/Notecard
Medium: Any Medium
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: 45
Maximum participants allowed: 25

Description:

Welcome to Postcard Project 2004!

Please P.M. me with your name and address as soon as you sign up, so that I can send a list of everyone\'s names and addresses to all the participating members. Each participant will send to every person signed up for the projces a 4 x 6 or 5 x7 post card, The work must be original and by you. Therefore, if there are 25 members signed up then you would send out 24 different original pieces of art.

When you receive a card it is important that you pm the sender so that they can post this card in their own project space, with the caption \"So and So\'s postcard\". If you send a card and no word is received within a month\'s time, then you can post the card in the project and mention to whom you sent it.

Photo or scan each of your images before you send them out by mail, so you can post them, once they are received, in the project thread.

When you receive a card, please Private Message the sender to say you have received their card.
As the artist, once you receive conformation that your post card was received please post it in the project thread, where we all can see it and provide comment

It is important that you send an original piece of art to each and every participant on the list and that you acknowledge receipt by pm as soon as you receive one. I look forward to seeing all the cards in the project - Most of All ...HAVE FUN!!

Gail

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=630)

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get \"pushed down\" by a swarm of project-related threads.

Gudrun
01-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Hello all....JJ...diamondbird...Jim...all the people from christmas card exchange..I'm in!!!!!..OK, JJ is sleeping in deep Australiy..but she will..I'm shure...
Thanks Gail...Hi time to upload my photos from all the christmas cards hanging framed in the floor

I start to paint today!

Gudrun

Strawberry Wine
01-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Welcome Gudrun

Gail

Hello all....JJ...diamondbird...Jim...all the people from christmas card exchange..I'm in!!!!!..OK, JJ is sleeping in deep Australiy..but she will..I'm shure...
Thanks Gail...Hi time to upload my photos from all the christmas cards hanging framed in the floor

I start to paint today!

Gudrun

pinkbubelz
01-18-2004, 08:47 PM
I'm interested but I need to know when the deadline for this project is.
--Iris

laudesan
01-18-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm in ;) :p

Gudrun
01-18-2004, 10:49 PM

I start to paint today!

Gudrun

I guess you have a lot of time, you don't have to hurry and paint 24 cards in one week ;) ;) ...The christmas card project was another thing, christmas was more or less the point people should have the cards...but here you can take your time....Is that right Gail?
Gudrun

Johnnie
01-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Hi Gail

I signed up and PM'd you my info.

This should be a hoot. What is the time factor for the cards all of 2004. End of year deadline.?

Have some ??? but will get to that later.

Tnx for invite.

Johnnie

Strawberry Wine
01-19-2004, 08:48 AM
I guess you have a lot of time, you don't have to hurry and paint 24 cards in one week ;) ;) ...The christmas card project was another thing, christmas was more or less the point people should have the cards...but here you can take your time....Is that right Gail?
Gudrun

Take your time everyone, Last year I just picked one person from the list to start with. Once I received a card from someone, that was to whom I painted the next card, but you can do it any way you want.

Iris, do you mean a deadline for finishing the project???? Not really. Just take your time and do one card at a time. last year, it took me about 3 months to do all the cards. It could take you less or more. The main thing is to have fun and reap the benefits of receiving everyone's originals in the mail

Gail

Strawberry Wine
01-19-2004, 08:49 AM
I have to head out to work, but I will be back later this afternoon to answer everyone's questions.

Gail

pinkbubelz
01-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Take your time everyone, Last year I just picked one person from the list to start with. Once I received a card from someone, that was to whom I painted the next card, but you can do it any way you want.

Iris, do you mean a deadline for finishing the project???? Not really. Just take your time and do one card at a time. last year, it took me about 3 months to do all the cards. It could take you less or more. The main thing is to have fun and reap the benefits of receiving everyone's originals in the mail

Gail

OK, I have another question-- It says the medium is whatever we choose. Can we do a screen print? or does that not count? I would be screenprinting and sending an original, but it would not be painted? Or is that outside the medium that we can use? Can we do a collage? or are we to stick with only printing?

I noticed that this thread is in the water color section... Please let me know! So that I can figure out what I will be doing.

:-)

Iris

Gudrun
01-19-2004, 11:17 PM
I think you should use the medium you are involved in...thats ok. You know, the christmas card exchange was also in watercolor section, but I'm not a pur watercolorist and took part with encaustics. If you are an acrylic painter, just do that, if you are a collagist, just do that. The mix of certain medias makes this project interesting and fun. I don't know exactly what a screen print is, but if you are a digital artist just print your cards out. That is great, because people also see certain stuff and may be it's for some people a point to say..ok..I have to try it...The mass will be watercolor, but the few other techniques gives the spice :) :)
Gudrun

Strawberry Wine
01-20-2004, 08:24 AM
I think you should use the medium you are involved in...thats ok. You know, the christmas card exchange was also in watercolor section, but I'm not a pur watercolorist and took part with encaustics. If you are an acrylic painter, just do that, if you are a collagist, just do that. The mix of certain medias makes this project interesting and fun. I don't know exactly what a screen print is, but if you are a digital artist just print your cards out. That is great, because people also see certain stuff and may be it's for some people a point to say..ok..I have to try it...The mass will be watercolor, but the few other techniques gives the spice :) :)
Gudrun

Thanks Gudrun: You expressed that vey well. The "rule" is. It must be an original and done by you.

Question: I have had 2 photographers enquire about joining the project. In prior years, this was not allowed, but...... photograpy is an art form, What do you all think???

Feedback please.

Gail

laudesan
01-20-2004, 08:31 AM
I am going to sound mean :(

Photography IS an art form.. Yes.. But this project is for painting, I would prefer to exchange post cards with other painters..

Do they not have postcard exchanges in the photography forum??...
Please do not think badly of me, but if I wanted a photograph exchange I wouldn't have joined thisd project..

I am going to shut now, before I dig a deaper hole for myself..

It hurts me to sound so mean!!

Johnnie
01-20-2004, 08:36 AM
aH na it doesnt JJ dont hurt me none

I agree This is for Painting. Leave it at that. I dont even agree with the digital art so to speak. Most of that is just tracing and altering a picture. NOT ALL. but a lot of it is then they call it art.

Leave this to a LIQUID MEDIUM as it always has been.

Digital and photo can start their own.

If you really want my PERSONAL opinion. ITs THIS

The Title here is WATERCOLOR PROJECTS which is a "Subtitle" of WATERCOLOR. THat means watercolor Not phtography or Digiart or oil etc etc. It means watercolor.
Really simple.

SO Why dont we leave it as the title says. WATERCOLOR
Does that not make sense. It sure does to me.

Oh dear. I hope you dont look at me as a "Meany" too.
It would break my heart :evil:

Johnnie

Strawberry Wine
01-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Thanks for some feedback JJ and JJ :) Waiting for more. That is why I posted the question here in the thread as I did not want to include or exclude photograpy without other's opinions.

Everyone Please Note:

That although this will primarily be a water colour project, there will also be some who wish to paint some or all of their postcards in a mixed medium or other medium, acrylic/watercolour, encaustic, oil, pastel etc, as it was in the Christmas Card exchange and last years Post Card exchange. I did not restrict the project to "watercolour" only.

I will wait until the end of the day for more feedbck on this issue and will add " no photographs" to the initial project page, if that is the general concensus.

Cheers,

Gail

BBL

daveshattuck
01-20-2004, 10:35 AM
i am with them. leave it to the liquid mediums.

dave

claire methot
01-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Gail,

I want to join the project too.

I prefer watercolor or watercolor with collages or mixed media.

:music: :music: :music:

pinkbubelz
01-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Well, my question is because I do some screen prints, but these are not photographs-- just artwork that's done in a screen-print format.
(i.e. a process similar to silk screening)

Some of my pieces may or may not add additional media-- painting, oil pastels, colored pencil etc.

It seems a bit misleading to have it posted as an "open medium" project, when the main intention is only for painters to participate...

** hope no one's mad at me for "stirring the pot" **

--Iris

Strawberry Wine
01-20-2004, 06:14 PM
Iris:

I just saw a silk screened scarf today and it was so beautiful.

You are not "stirring the pot" That is what the thread is all about, to discuss the project. I look forward to seeing your silk screening artwork.

During the Christmas card exchange we all received cards done in encaustic, and they were so beautiful.

As I explained the "exchange ' was not limited to "water colour " but open to any medium

My question to everyone was whether to include photography, which is not a medium but definitely a form of art., into the exchange.

Would you mind explaining the process for your type of art work? I would find it very interesting.

Cheers,

Gail

Strawberry Wine
01-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi Claire: I have your address from the Christmas Card exchange.

I will check the project list of participants and if you have signed in I will add your name.

Good to have you back.

Gail

Cathie Jones
01-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Hey look! All my Christmas card buddies are here! I kept telling myself I wouldn't do this one, but couldn't resist . . . so I'm in.

Gail, do you still have my address?

Gudrun
01-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Iris:

I just saw a silk screened scarf today and it was so beautiful.

You are not "stirring the pot" That is what the thread is all about, to discuss the project. I look forward to seeing your silk screening artwork.

During the Christmas card exchange we all received cards done in encaustic, and they were so beautiful.

As I explained the "exchange ' was not limited to "water colour " but open to any medium

My question to everyone was whether to include photography, which is not a medium but definitely a form of art., into the exchange.

Would you mind explaining the process for your type of art work? I would find it very interesting.

Cheers,

Gail

What is "silc screening"? Is that what we call in Germany "silk painting"? Or is that a print onto silk...I have no idea :confused:
Gudrun

Cathie Jones
01-20-2004, 11:42 PM
I have a question for those who have done a postcard exchange before. Do you mail it inside an envelope, or is there something you can spray or paint over your painting to protect it from the elements? :confused:

Strawberry Wine
01-21-2004, 07:52 AM
What is "silc screening"? Is that what we call in Germany "silk painting"? Or is that a print onto silk...I have no idea :confused:
Gudrun

I think it is an original piece of work printed on silk, but not 100% sure. Iris???

Cathie: Safer to put in an envelope. I bought some oversized envelopes at Staples (Business Depot) that allow a 5 X 7 and uses minimum postage cost.

Yes Cathie: I just checked and have your address

Gail

painterbear
01-21-2004, 10:49 AM
I have a question for those who have done a postcard exchange before. Do you mail it inside an envelope, or is there something you can spray or paint over your painting to protect it from the elements? :confused:

You are better off putting it in an envelop—You can get manila type envelopes that will easily hold the cards.

In last year's exchange, I received a card that wasn't in an envelope—however, it had been painted on thick paper and someone along the way had carefully peeled off the painted part and sent the rest of the card on its way. The artist was nice enough to paint me a second card, but if it had been in an envelop, he wouldn't have had to. You never know what people are going to do.

I like the mix of different mediums like we had last year—there were collages, acrylics, oils, encaustics as well as watercolors. I guess I would prefer to not include photographs or digital manipulations in this project, although photography is definitely an art form, it just doesn't seem to fit with this theme.

The time factor: I usually tried to paint at least one card a week, but there really isn't any pressure to finish within a certain time. You do get more comments from people at the beginning of the project when you post your cards though.

I do hope if people join they will try to participate on a regular basis. It is discouraging to send a painting off to someone and not receive one in return or even hear anything as to why the person isn't painting anything, although he or she is receiving paintings from others.

leojacko
01-21-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm in here,

New to this idea of exchanging, but looking forward to it a lot !

Leo
:cat:

Strawberry Wine
01-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Welcome Leo. I know you will enjoy the project.

Sylvia: Thanks for providing some insight. I agree an envelope is much safer. I did get some oversized white envelopes that are standard weight and just fit under the US and Canadian maximum size for minimum postage. They are called Postal Friendly and a 5 " x 7" card will fit inside.

I think by the week's end we will have enough signed up for me to send out a preliminary mailing list. I will send out additional addressses,if need be, by Private message.

Please check your "own mailing address" when you receive the list and P. M. me with any errors or omissions.
Once you receive the list, get your brushes wet, if you have not done so already, which I haven't :)

Cheers,

Gail

NorahT
01-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Photography IS an art form.. Yes.. But this project is for painting, I would prefer to exchange post cards with other painters..

I agree. :)

NorahT
01-22-2004, 11:15 AM

I was in the last postcard project and mine were 4x6". I put them in a regular long white envelope, after putting them between two pieces of cardboard (cereal boxes are good) that were the same size as the evelope. Hope this helps.

NorahT
01-22-2004, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=Strawberry Wine]Take your time everyone, Last year I just picked one person from the list to start with. Once I received a card from someone, that was to whom I painted the next card, but you can do it any way you want.
[QUOTE]

I think this is good idea - it is disappointing to get no return or response.

pinkbubelz
01-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Silk screening is screen printing... ( I think it's also called a serigraph?-- I'm not a printmaker, so I'm not sure.)

I'm thinking of doing a duo-toned image...

2 screens of 2 different colors.
This is an experiment for me-- I'm not sure if I will manipulate the images further with other additional media (paint, oil pastels, etc.) So, I can't explain the process yet... I tend to work more spontaneously and "all at once" vs. thinking out a specific process before-hand--I like to let my art "take me where it wants to."

I use a small "press" called the print gocco...

Here's a thread in the printmaking forum about it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1951527#post1951527

(I hope the link works)

--Iris

Tango
01-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi, new member here and I'm really considering joining this project. I just want to comment on the earlier discussions about the mediums that should or should not be used. Although my postcards would be mainly in watercolor, I'm thinking about the kind of postcards I would like to receive. The thought of receiving original works of art in the mail, whether they're done in oil or acrylic or is sooooo exciting. It would be so wonderful to see how different people work they're chosen medium. I do agree that photography, however amazing it is,should be left to it's own project.
On the subject of silkscreening- it wasn't mentioned whether there would only be one original art piece created and then 24 copies would be screened or if different screens would be created for each card which would be a tremendous amount of work. I ask that because I'm just thinking about the fact that everyone would be puting sooooo much work into handpainting each card whereas a silkscreener can create art on screens which initially takes alot of work but after they're set up, they can copy as many peices as they want in a few minutes. Maybe I'm thinking of another procedure than what our friend is talking about but that's what "silkscreening" means to me.

O.K. Sorry, I just read the last post after I posted this message.Thanks

Cathie Jones
01-22-2004, 02:50 PM
I was in the last postcard project and mine were 4x6". I put them in a regular long white envelope, after putting them between two pieces of cardboard (cereal boxes are good) that were the same size as the evelope. Hope this helps.

Mine will be 4x6 also - and I think it would be a good idea to put them in a plastic sandwich-type bag, also in case the envelope gets wet.

I'm anxious to start . . .

painterbear
01-22-2004, 04:03 PM
I tore my Arches 140 lb. paper into pieces that are approximately 5.5"x7.5" in size. I found that size to be easier to do the kinds of paintings I like to do. The 4"x6" was a little too small for me.

Whatever rings your bell is fine, I'm sure. Mine easily fit into the brown envelopes with a clasp you find in most office supply stores or even places like Walmart and Target—they are 6.5"x9.5" in size.

I agree with the discussion that all kinds of paint media should be allowed, as well as collage.

I've got one painting finished and am looking for more references in the Image Library to use for the others.

Gudrun
01-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi, new member here and I'm really considering joining this project. I just want to comment on the earlier discussions about the mediums that should or should not be used. Although my postcards would be mainly in watercolor, I'm thinking about the kind of postcards I would like to receive. The thought of receiving original works of art in the mail, whether they're done in oil or acrylic or is sooooo exciting. It would be so wonderful to see how different people work they're chosen medium. I do agree that photography, however amazing it is,should be left to it's own project.
On the subject of silkscreening- it wasn't mentioned whether there would only be one original art piece created and then 24 copies would be screened or if different screens would be created for each card which would be a tremendous amount of work. I ask that because I'm just thinking about the fact that everyone would be puting sooooo much work into handpainting each card whereas a silkscreener can create art on screens which initially takes alot of work but after they're set up, they can copy as many peices as they want in a few minutes. Maybe I'm thinking of another procedure than what our friend is talking about but that's what "silkscreening" means to me.

That was a really good posting, thanks...
I'm an encaustic painter. But encaustic is so full of possibilities..for this project my intention was to show exactly that possibilities...doing encaustical monoprints, mixing it with watercolor, painting on the hotplate on aquarell paper, doing collages with encaustics..thats why I'm so excited, I want to show you all possibilities...which is not only wax:o)
AND: I got today Dick Blicks catalogues...wow..wow...so much more than I can have in Germany....I think I move over:o)
Have a good night..it's late here and I just returned from a painters class...
Gudrun

pinkbubelz
01-22-2004, 04:11 PM

HI Tango,
I haven't yet decided on what to do yet myself. One of the possibilities is that I screen an image and then hand-color the prints, the other is a duo tone, and yet other ideas include adding other media onto the image as well.

And, since I am already trying to get ready for an art exhibit in May, 2004, I could really push myself and TRY to do a single, duo or 3 screen process for each person... (of course that would mean a huge assortment of screens and projects.. not sure if I'm THAT ambitious)...

Like I said, I'm still figuring things out... I'll let you all know what happens.. BTW, the Artist's Way group, is hopefully helping me to get my creative juices flowing as well.

--IRis

Strawberry Wine
01-22-2004, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=Strawberry Wine]Take your time everyone, Last year I just picked one person from the list to start with. Once I received a card from someone, that was to whom I painted the next card, but you can do it any way you want.
[QUOTE]

I think this is good idea - it is disappointing to get no return or response.

Thanks Norah, for mentioning this again.

It really is important to let the sender know that you have received their card, as soon as you can. That way the artist can then submit it into the project thread and the artist will know that their card has safely reached its destination.

Iris: Thanks for the information on the process. It sounds exciting and I can't wait to see the results.

Gudrun: Your cards from the Christmas Card exchange were so beautiful, I
know everyone will be thrilled with their cards from you. Sounds like you have heaps of ideas.

Tango : Welcome to the Project, I just noticed you have signed up. A P.M. is on its way to you.

A mailing list will be on its way to all this coming weekend. I see we have 21 now joined the project so perhaps by the weekend we will be full. At any rate, a list will be sent out and I will PM everyone with any additions.

Syliva: Way to go. One done already. :clap: Thanks for mentioning that images from the library are definitely OK to use. I will uncheck that note off my list.

Cathie: Get those brushes wet :)

Will check back in later.

Gail

laudesan
01-22-2004, 06:35 PM
I am painting mine on 6 x 8 inch arches pad paper...That is what I have here ;)

I don't have any sheets, only block and they are too expensive to tear up ;)

So 6" x 8" it is.. geexz last night whilst I was asleep, I must have painted around 50 cards in my dreams.. now I can't remember ONE theme :(

Off to the RIL for me :)

NorahT
01-22-2004, 11:34 PM
I am painting mine on 6 x 8 inch arches pad paper...That is what I have here ;)

If you cut them in half you would have two 6x4" cards :)

laudesan
01-23-2004, 12:08 AM
:D bit small for me to paint on ;)

leojacko
01-23-2004, 01:05 AM
geexz last night whilst I was asleep, I must have painted around 50 cards in my dreams.. now I can't remember ONE theme :(

JJ

You have to have pen & paper next to the bed -

Write down your ideas the minute you wake up or else they are gone !!!! :angel: :evil:

Leo

laudesan
01-23-2004, 01:18 AM
You tried sleeping with 5 cats??? :D Nothing on my bedside tables as they throw everything off to get my attention when they think it is breakfsat time..

Wouldn't mind too much, but their alarm clocks go off when ever :( **sigh**

leojacko
01-23-2004, 02:04 AM
You tried sleeping with 5 cats??? :D

Now THAT could be the subject for a painting - self portrait with cats maybe :evil:

laudesan
01-23-2004, 02:07 AM
Yeah riiiiiight :D:D

Eye
01-23-2004, 02:09 AM
I hope I am in time to join. I never done the PostCard project before. Will the project cover oversea country like Thailand, etc.? :-) All I know is that It will cost 80 cents stamps from the US. to Thailand. OK, I will start painting. Cheers

laudesan
01-23-2004, 02:15 AM
Oh yes please I have not got a painting from Thailand :)

Welcome :clap:

painterbear
01-23-2004, 04:55 AM
HI Tango,
I haven't yet decided on what to do yet myself. One of the possibilities is that I screen an image and then hand-color the prints, the other is a duo tone, and yet other ideas include adding other media onto the image as well.

--IRis

Not sure what a "duo tone" is, but your first idea of screening an image and then hand-coloring each print would make them unique and one-of-a-kind, especially if you vary the colors. I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

JJ, I'm with you on the size, I need a little larger surface to paint on, so mine are around 5"x7". I'm glad you have the cards that are already cut, but for those who don't, it is easy to take a sheet off a block and fold it and tear it to the size you want to use. You get a lot of cards from one sheet.

Eye, Looking forward to seeing your paintings here too. Did you sign up on page 1, the slots are almost full.

laudesan
01-23-2004, 05:08 AM
I think Ron (old Navy) wants to sign up too :)

Strawberry Wine
01-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Welcome Eye: My son spent 6 months in your beautiful country about 12 years ago and would go back tomorrow if he could. In Narithawat (sp?) teaching English.

Ron if you are lurking, hurry and sign up, Not too much space left.

Last year, I took a full sheet folded it in half, then the 1/2 into quarters etc. I think i was able to paint most of the cards from the full sheet. Arches here is about $8.00 for a full sheet. Bockingford about $5.50. Much cheaper than the pads.

I will be Private Messaging you all with the mailing list tomorrow or Sunday.

Cheers,

Gail

Eye
01-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks, Gail, JJ, and Sylvia for the warm welcome. I finish one card already... Yeah... will keep them rolling. What a fun project.

pinkbubelz
01-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Not sure what a "duo tone" is, but your first idea of screening an image and then hand-coloring each print would make them unique and one-of-a-kind, especially if you vary the colors. I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

JJ, I'm with you on the size, I need a little larger surface to paint on, so mine are around 5"x7". I'm glad you have the cards that are already cut, but for those who don't, it is easy to take a sheet off a block and fold it and tear it to the size you want to use. You get a lot of cards from one sheet.

Eye, Looking forward to seeing your paintings here too. Did you sign up on page 1, the slots are almost full.

duotone is kind of like the oldfashioned printed images-- where the shadows are 1 color and the midrange tones are another (2 colors, thus "duo"tone)
The highlights remain the color of the paper...

Like I said, I am going to use this project as a springboard for my other projects for my upcoming art show. The prints will most likely be pretty small (about 3 x 5 in image size... :-) )

Can't wait. When do we get the list of addresses?

--IRis

Strawberry Wine
01-23-2004, 01:44 PM
Iris: Re the Mailing Lists.Tomorrow or Sunday. There are just a couple of spots left so I am just waiting to see if they get filled and then I can mail out one list and hopefully not have to send out too many additions by Private message.

Way to go Eye, I am going to start mine today as well.

Gail

Strawberry Wine
01-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi All :

I just thought I would pass this along to those who want to paint larger than 4x 6 I just cut/tore up a 1/4 sheet, which made four 5 1/2 x 71/2 inch cards. so a full sheet will make 16. 1- 1/2 sheets would do it for the 24
cards.

At that size, they would be suitable for framing with the 5 x 7 matte opening, in case anyone wants to frame your original.

Those painting 4 x 6 inch paintings, If you cut your paper or whatever you are using to 4.5 x 6.5 they would fit a 4 x 6 inch standard matte opening.

FYI only.

Cheers,

Gail

Tango
01-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi all,
Pleeeeease send me a card from Thailand! It will probably be the closest I'll ever get to being there. What a treasure! I like the ideas of making the cards 1/2" larger for framing because if I can I'll frame them all. To Pinkbublelz, I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be outstanding. I have to say, I never thought of myself as having an addictive personality but I just can't get off this site! I am looking so forward to seeing all of your cards.
Cheers! :D :D

laudesan
01-23-2004, 08:25 PM
O.K. Gail I will tape mine to the board so thay are 5x7 painted area suitable for framing :)

RON where are you???????????

cmwynn
01-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Help! I made a mistake, not the first by any means. I pushed the sign up button but didn't mean to. I think you are full to capacity any, so just disregard my name. Maybe someone UP THERE can fix this so no one misunderstands. It looks like fun but I just don't have the confidence to do this at this time.
Connie

Gudrun
01-24-2004, 01:27 AM
Help! I made a mistake, not the first by any means. I pushed the sign up button but didn't mean to. I think you are full to capacity any, so just disregard my name. Maybe someone UP THERE can fix this so no one misunderstands. It looks like fun but I just don't have the confidence to do this at this time.
Connie

Just go to "My projects", than you see the list of projects you joined. You will find this project. Than go to the right side, there is written "Quit this project" and click that.The system asks you again if you really want to quit, than click "yes".
Best
Gudrun

laudesan
01-24-2004, 01:35 AM
Connie don't leave !!!!!!! You make the 25th person and this project will give more confidence than you know what to do with :D:D:D

Go on.......stay........you will have fun..........!!

Tango
01-24-2004, 02:41 AM
Yes Connie,get back here! If I can do this, you certainly can and just think about how good you'll be by your 24th card. That's what I keep thinking of.

painterbear
01-24-2004, 04:26 AM
Yes Connie,get back here! If I can do this, you certainly can and just think about how good you'll be by your 24th card. That's what I keep thinking of.

That is so-o-o-o true! When I joined this last year, I was so nervous in the beginning. I think I threw away the first three or four cards I painted. Then I did one I thought was good enough to send out, then another, and another.

It was a tremendous way to practice painting and a lot of fun, especially when the postman brought my cards from other people.

The trick is to pick simple subjects that aren't too difficult and just go to town and paint! Please do reconsider, Connie.

Cathie Jones
01-24-2004, 10:57 AM
That is so-o-o-o true! When I joined this last year, I was so nervous in the beginning. I think I threw away the first three or four cards I painted. Then I did one I thought was good enough to send out, then another, and another.

It was a tremendous way to practice painting and a lot of fun, especially when the postman brought my cards from other people.

The trick is to pick simple subjects that aren't too difficult and just go to town and paint! Please do reconsider, Connie.

Thank you! It's good to know I'm not the only one!

Strawberry Wine
01-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Hi All :

I am just waiting for 2 people to confirm their postal addresses. I will wait until tomorrow afternoon. If I haven't received them at that time I will send out a list to everyone and will send an update once I receive the missing addresses.

I did a regular mailing list on Word.

I also did a list in chart form with the following headings

Name and address Name of Painting Received Sent Posted Done
P.M'd

Unfortunately, I am unable to attach in a PM or in Wet Canvas e-mail format.

If you would like one of the charts, please e-mail through your regular e-mail program (not W.C.'s format) to [email protected] and I will e-mail it to you as an attached file. I did it in Microsoft Excel.

Cheers,

Gail

cmwynn
01-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Okay, I'm in - if my address gets through in time. I am nervous, but looking forward to the practice and to getting lots of inspiration from others in return.
Connie

painterbear
01-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Good for you, Connie. Don't worry, I'm sure you will do great.

Take a look at the Postcard Project for 2003 in the Projects section for some inspiration and to see the variety of subjects and styles people painted last year.

Strawberry Wine
01-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Hi All:

Please check your messages. Yeah: to Connie for staying with us, As Connie was participant # 25, I have just sent out your mailing lists.

Please check your own address just to be sure I have not made any errors (not me!!) and PM me ASAP if things don't look like they should

Looking forward to seeing the first card being posted in the final entries and please use the Progress Images. I will be checking in there at least once a day.

Questions or problems, post them here or PM me directly.

Have fun!!

Let The Project Begin :)

Gail

pinkbubelz
01-24-2004, 08:16 PM
Hi Gail and everyone else,

I have an idea which will relieve the problem of not getting a card from someone else right away... How about if everyone starts with the name below their own (with the last on the list starting with the top of the list?)

That way, everyone is guaranteed at least 1 card in the beginning?

--Iris

laudesan
01-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Iris what a GREAT idea :) :clap:

Johnnie
01-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Hi Gail

Well there is an error in my address.

the number 49 should be 40 . . I wont give the rest. I dont want a subscription to every mag in the world. lol

so all you folks out there who have list change the first number of street from 49 to 40.. every thing else is fine.
Save Gail some work.

Johnnie

laudesan
01-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Hey Gail that chart sounds great.......I will have one please :)

Johnnie I have changed it ta.......:)

Tango
01-25-2004, 12:18 AM
HI all,
I am starting with the name below mine because I think that is a BRILLIANT idea.
I assume everyone knows that B.C. in my address is in Canada. Johnnie, I have changed that error as well. I have 2 cards done already and I'm having so much fun! Here you go 1mpete. :cool:

Gudrun
01-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Hi all
There is also a little mistake in my address, the streets name is "Konitzkyweg", the "w" is missing. Konitzky was a famous person in Bad Nauheim and "Weg" is the german word for "way" or what you say "drive". A little german for you :p :p :p
Gudrun

laudesan
01-25-2004, 12:52 AM
Thanks Gudrun, I have altered mine........and thankyou for the history of your Street Name......I do enjoy :)

drawn2
01-25-2004, 02:15 AM
HI every one I am :o embarrased to say I have not been on for a long time I know you will all have fun doing this project the first of the projects I signed for in 2003 was a post card project and several of the participants here were there. I cannot express how fulfilling and encouraging it was I know you all will fell this joy when the mail man calls out You've got mail each Art work was better than the last the comments were encouraging and I was blessed to be a participant. ENJOY I wish I had been able to sign maybe the next time good to be back --carol / drawn2

painterbear
01-25-2004, 05:01 AM
I like Lisa's idea of starting with the next person after yourself to send your first postcards to, that way those at the end of the list will get paintings at the beginning too.

BTW, Rancho Cucamonga in C. Corgan's address shouldn't have a comma between the words.

Gail, I think we need to remind people not to post their paintings in the final gallery until after they get a PM from the recipient saying they have been received. That is why it is important for each person to let the artist know as soon as they receive a card.

This is going to be fun.

laudesan
01-25-2004, 05:07 AM
I like Lisa's idea of starting with the next person after yourself to send your first postcards to, that way those at the end of the list will get paintings at the beginning too.

BTW, Rancho Cucamonga in C. Corgan's address shouldn't have a comma between the words.

Gail, I think we need to remind people not to post their paintings in the final gallery until after they get a PM from the recipient saying they have been received. That is why it is important for each person to let the artist know as soon as they receive a card.

This is going to be fun.

Sylvia.....I haven't got anything remotely like that name on my list ??? :confused: :confused:

:o :o Oooooooooops yes I do :D:D Cheryl :)

leojacko
01-25-2004, 06:00 AM
here's a slight change to my address too

It should read 2a

i.e. no space between the "2" and the "a".

Otherwise the old lady in the flat below us may get the postcards !!

Thanks
Leo
[Nina]

laudesan
01-25-2004, 06:04 AM
Fixed it Nina :)

I have just finished my first Post Card :)

Strawberry Wine
01-25-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi All:

I just sent out a list with Johnnies corrected address.

I will make note of the other changes and send a new one out with everything on it.

Sorry. I went over the list 3 times with what I thought was the cut and pasted version from the original posts. I probably should not have done it last evening :confused:

You will all be getting another updated list soon.

I will wait until this afternoon and if any one else notices an error please PM me with it.

Thanks and sorry for all the ommisions

Gail

NorahT
01-25-2004, 11:30 AM
The address list arrved this morning and I feel that we are now officially up and running :clap:

I am childsitting for my eldest daughter up in the snowbelt in Barrie, Ontario for the months of February, April and June, so although I will be able to work on my postcards and mail them out, I will only be able to scan and post them the months that I am home.

I think it is a good idea to start off by mailing to the person below you on the address list and I also like that the project is limited to 25 participants this time.

Thanks Gail for doing this :)

Johnnie
01-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Looking forward to seeing the first card being posted in the final entries and please use the Progress Images. I will be checking in there at least once a day.

Questions or problems, post them here or PM me directly.

Have fun!!
Gail

Hi Gail

Yea Question

You mention using the Progress Images. So what is the plan for that. Do we just put them in there as we go with no name of recipient Not sure what to do because of stating dont post anything till notified of receipt of painting postcard.

Johnnie

Strawberry Wine
01-25-2004, 07:14 PM
Hi Gail

Yea Question

You mention using the Progress Images. So what is the plan for that. Do we just put them in there as we go with no name of recipient Not sure what to do because of stating dont post anything till notified of receipt of painting postcard.

Johnnie
Johnnie:

Good question, and I think you already answered it, yes , please do use the progress section, just don't mention to whom the card will be sent to. It is a great place to post, if you are having problems, and need some feedback. It also works like a WIP.

Thanks for posing the question. And the answer. :D

Norah, If you remember, last year, I mailed out several cards at once, and forgot to scan and save them to my hard drive. In a panic, I messaged you and you suggested I P.M. the receiver and they messaged me back with an uploaded finished painting, which I then up placed into the project. That would work for you also when you are unable to scan your paintings.

I have not heard of any further errors in my mailing address sheet so I will be sending out a new and FINAL ( I hope) mailing address list.

Cheers,

Gail

Edit: I worked on my first two cards today and I will finish tomorrow and mail on Wed. Well at least by Friday.

Keep a look out in your real life mailboxes. i am on a roll :clap:

old navy
01-25-2004, 09:29 PM
I have a card ready to go.Should I wait until I mail it before showing it here?Ron

laudesan
01-25-2004, 09:56 PM
O.K. I am going to post my first card in the progress section.. for comment and critique.. :)

old navy
01-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32800

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/32902/tn_0006.jpg
My ancestry is Scots-Irish,and I have always had a thing for the pipes,I hope the person who receives will also.I used a light blue wash for the sky,and a rigger brush and black paint for the rest.I enjoyed this first one.JJ has taken me under her wing,and I have emproved a lot.Thanks to all.Ron

old navy
01-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32800

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/32902/tn_0006.jpg Oh yes,I did remove that unnessary for in the wording.

laudesan
01-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Ron that is great !!

Now..

who do we have with Scottish/Irish Ancestery besides you :D

I myself are half Danish, half English as far a I know :p :rolleyes: :D

NorahT
01-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Norah, If you remember, last year, I mailed out several cards at once, and forgot to scan and save them to my hard drive. In a panic, I messaged you and you suggested I P.M. the receiver and they messaged me back with an uploaded finished painting, which I then up placed into the project. That would work for you also when you are unable to scan your paintings.

Now I remember - thank you :) :)

NorahT
01-26-2004, 10:04 AM
who do we have with Scottish/Irish Ancestery besides you

My greatgrandmother on my father's side was Irish. When I pointed out to my mother that I was one eighth Irish she commented "That's nothing to be proud of". But I am :D

Johnnie
01-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Ron that is great !!

Now..

who do we have with Scottish/Irish Ancestery besides you :D

I myself are half Danish, half English as far a I know :p :rolleyes: :D

Hi

All my grandparents came from north Scotland.. My parents born in Canada.

Johnnie

NorahT
01-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32799

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/progress/22284/tn_Postcard_1_opt.jpg

What a lovely start to the project. A very nice balance of colour and I love the reflections in the transom and door window.

Johnnie
01-26-2004, 12:25 PM

My ancestry is Scots-Irish,and I have always had a thing for the pipes,I hope the person who receives will also.I used a light blue wash for the sky,and a rigger brush and black paint for the rest.I enjoyed this first one.JJ has taken me under her wing,and I have emproved a lot.Thanks to all.Ron

Hi Ron..

Nice painting. Do you play the pipe. I been at it for about a year now. Have a set of Dunbar-P3's with 70 Hardie chanter. Soundnot bad.

Is that you in your garb ? :)

Johnnie

painterbear
01-26-2004, 02:10 PM
I don't want to be a spoil-sport, but I thought we were supposed to wait until we heard from the recipient of our paintings before posting them along with the name of the person we sent them to????

Are Ron's and JJ's paintings WIPs in the Progress section or are they in the Gallery?

Cathie Jones
01-26-2004, 02:21 PM
My family names are:

Andrews: Scot
Walling: British
Conner: Irish

The British and Irish came to the US in the early 1600's, don't know about the Andrews clan, I haven't researched them yet.

:D

old navy
01-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32799

[IMG]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/progress/22284/tn_Postcard_1_opt.jpg[/ Looks great JJ.,Iam continuing to learn from you.Ron

old navy
01-26-2004, 03:15 PM
No, that is not me playing the pipes,I wish it was.Johnny,it is great that you can play.I attend the highland games and other festifuls here locality.Most of this area was settled by scots/irish. Cathie Jones,It looks like you are one of the clan members.I wonder if you would accept this card since it has been shown?Its only right to wait untill the person receives it first.Ron

Strawberry Wine
01-26-2004, 04:19 PM
; Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32799

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/progress/22284/tn_Postcard_1_opt.jpg

This is going to be really nice JJ, are you almost done. ??? Maybe some darks in the foliage and some deeper shadows on the shaded side of the walls.

Gail

Cathie Jones
01-26-2004, 08:58 PM
As one of the clan I would be honored to receive the piper!

laudesan
01-26-2004, 09:36 PM
; Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32799

This is going to be really nice JJ, are you almost done. ??? Maybe some darks in the foliage and some deeper shadows on the shaded side of the walls.

Gail

Thanks Gail...it is a progress image..

Now lets clear this up, are we posting our cards now??????????? or waiting for the recipient to recieve it????????

Tango
01-27-2004, 12:26 AM
I really am a person that loves surprises and I can't wait to receive my cards in the mail. I also however have a very curious vein and I know that I couldn't keep out of the progress forum if I knew that cards were posted. So I would really like to see everyone post their cards after the recipient has received them. Just my opinion.

Gudrun
01-27-2004, 02:01 AM
I really am a person that loves surprises and I can't wait to receive my cards in the mail. I also however have a very curious vein and I know that I couldn't keep out of the progress forum if I knew that cards were posted. So I would really like to see everyone post their cards after the recipient has received them. Just my opinion.

I think the same..if we upload all our wips, and everybody has the list, than you can combine...Ahhh..this is the card for JJ..this is the card for Gudrun.....So when I look at my list I know who will get this beautiful doorway from JJ :D :D ...And I know who will get the piper... :clap:
No surprise anymore, at least I know when I recive a card which painting is inside the enevelope :confused: :confused: I would prefere not to upload in front

laudesan
01-27-2004, 02:14 AM
Righto I will NOT upload anymore of my cards :D

Johnnie
01-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Hi all

Please remove my name from the list.
I am not able to participate in this due to personal problems and probably wont be on Wetcanvas for a while. Been really great meeting you all and altho I am a cranky old fart I really do enjoy your company.
THanks all for the fun and enjoyment.

THanks Gail for the invite. I will send you this PM but thought should let everyone know here so they can take me off list and get someone to fill my spot.

Good luck all in your paintings.

All the best.

Johnnie

NorahT
01-27-2004, 09:37 AM
I am not able to participate in this due to personal problems and probably wont be on Wetcanvas for a while.

Sorry to hear that you have to leave us for a while and will miss hearing from a cranky old fart. Hope the problems can be resolved and that we will see you back here soon.

Tango
01-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Johnny,so sorry to see you leaving us.I was really looking forward to receiving your card . :( Here's hoping that everything works itself out and you can come back to us soon.
Laudesan. Your door painting was beautiful, can't wait to see more. I have 4 done and I'm just waiting to scan them before I send them off. Now that Johnny is leaving, does this mean we should hold off sending cards until some one else joins or should we just continue and work the new member in when they join?

Gudrun
01-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Johnny,so sorry to see you leaving us.I was really looking forward to receiving your card . :( Here's hoping that everything works itself out and you can come back to us soon.
Laudesan. Your door painting was beautiful, can't wait to see more. I have 4 done and I'm just waiting to scan them before I send them off. Now that Johnny is leaving, does this mean we should hold off sending cards until some one else joins or should we just continue and work the new member in when they join?

I really think we should include Johnny, ok, may be he quitt, but everybody has the list of names,let us think he takes part..may be it's a good help for him solving his personel problems...and of course there is place for a new one and we paint one card more...no problem
My soul says it's ok that way
Gudrun

Cathie Jones
01-27-2004, 03:32 PM
I agree with Gudrun. We've all gained something by knowing Johnnie and will miss him. He may be a cranky old fart :evil: , but that's the way we like him. :angel: Painting one more card shouldn't be a problem . . . :clap:

Helen
01-27-2004, 04:14 PM
I don't mind doing one more card.

I do have another question... Is a collage on matboard or a monoprint on something like Rives BFK acceptable as long as it is postcard size?

painterbear
01-27-2004, 05:08 PM
I don't mind doing one more card.

I do have another question... Is a collage on matboard or a monoprint on something like Rives BFK acceptable as long as it is postcard size?

In last year's Postcard Exchange there were some very nice collages. I think they would be very nice to see and have.

I also don't mind doing an extra card for Johnnie, but I wouldn't want him to feel he had to reciprocate if there is something going on in his life that keeps him from painting. Wouldn't want to make him feel bad.

Strawberry Wine
01-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi All :

I will be sending everyone a message re: Johnnie having to leave the project. I think sending him a painting is a wonderful idea, I will just leave that up to each individual. Once he removes his name from the project it will no longer say "project is full " so we may have one more person join in.

JJ: Progress entries are fine. I think if anyone needs some feed back or is having a problem, that is what the progress entries are all about. Since most people will be doing random selection, then no one knows for sure, which card goes to whom? I do agree that the element of surprise is what makes this kind of project so much fun.

Everyone!!!!!!! please DO NOT post final entries until you receive confirmation from the person you sent the card to.

Helen: As long as you are sending out the original and it is done by you ( not computer enhanced) then it is OK

Tango: Just work on the list and send out your paintings. iI another person joins the project I will PM everyone with the new participant.

Johnnie: Will we miss you here and I have sent you a private message

Cheers,

Gail

Helen
01-27-2004, 06:08 PM
OK -- I have one postcard ready to go. I'm leaving in the morning for a week away from winter. Will probably mail the postcard from the airport. If postcards arrive here before I get back -- I won't be sending pm's until after Feb 4 when I return.

old navy
01-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Come Back Johnny, Cant bear to lose one of the Clan.Now I will be the only cranky old fart on this site.I dont like it.Ron.

Strawberry Wine
01-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the "heads up" Helen. Being away for a week or two is no problem.

Poor Ron; does that mean all us gals can pick on you :D You are not alone. ther is watercolorbill and wilddash1 to share your woes with.

Johnnie: if in a few weeks time, you feel you can participate, I will PM Rod to extend the list to 26, just let me know.

Cheers,

Gail

laudesan
01-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Good morning from me..

Johnnie I am sorry to hear of your problems.

You guys are great keeping Johnnie on your list.. I did that with the girl who pulled out of the Xmas Card list too just quietly :)

I shall post my first card tomorrow :)

watercolorbill
01-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Johnnie I hardly knew ya, being a fairly new member. But ! I'll be sending you a card. Take care of yourself first and our thought are with you.

Ron, I think we are all a "clan" now. So.............. we can be like a family. You now have fun and fight with each other !

bellasmiiles
01-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Hi Everyone....

I am glad I waited a couple of days to check the postings as I have not participated before and I think all of my questions have been answered. Can't wait to start on my first tonight.... :p

cmwynn
01-27-2004, 09:40 PM
I have finished a couple of cards, but will not be able to send them until early next week. I don't drive, but one of my daughters will be here Sunday and will put them in the mail for me. She will want to see what I am doing anyway. They have reversed the mother-daughter roles in the last few years.
Connie

Eye
01-27-2004, 11:22 PM
I just sent out a few cards today. However, they might take up to 2 weeks to reach the destinations. I will try to keep my momentum going. Cheers to all. Ai/Eye

pinkbubelz
01-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Sylvia.....I haven't got anything remotely like that name on my list ??? :confused: :confused:

:o :o Oooooooooops yes I do :D:D Cheryl :)

LOL I think painterbear meant me (Iris, aka pinkbubelz)

:-)

--Iris

Mikki Petersen
01-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Hello Postcard Painters! Sorry I'm so late joining the thread...I forget to watch the threads until the cards begin flowing. Anyway, I will be mailing my first four cards tomorrow, so Old Navy, Helen, cmwynn and Gudrun start watching your mail...

For all you newbies, especially Connie...I joined last years' exchange with great trepidation but I so wanted to actually be able to own, touch, feel and study the artwork of others, that I went ahead and took the plunge. It turned out to be one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in ArtLand. Because the venue is so small, I took the paintings less seriously than I normally do and used the opportunity to experiment with other mediums than my beloved pastels. I did cards in pastel, oil pastel, colored pencil, watercolor (1) and discovered encaustics after receiving an encaustic piece from a participant. Some cards were better than others because some of the participants were more experienced than others in the beginning, but by the end of the project, every participant was producing much improved work. so everyone kick back, relax and have fun with these little gems...and just wait until you begin collecting all this fabulous art from all around the world!

This year, I plan to do exclusively watercolor paintings for this project because I am completely absorbed in learning this new (for me) medium.

Tango
01-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Good Morning gang,
You are an amazing group of people. :angel: Of course I'll be sending Johnnie a card as well. I'll just mention that it's not nesessary to send one back and wish him well. I think it could only help him feel better about any difficulty he may be having. I'm new to this group but I already feel so comfortable talking to all of you. My husband is not an artist so I could paint a rock and he'd think it was a masterpeice. It's great to know that I now have a place that I can come to for help with my art and receive honest critique, from such kind people. Now I just have to learn how to post my work. That should be interesting. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me when the time comes.
Have a GREAT day!

laudesan
01-28-2004, 07:13 PM
I am posting my first 2 cards this morning :D ;)

Cathie Jones
01-28-2004, 08:00 PM
:eek: No! :eek: Wait! :eek: Slow down! :eek: I just have one finished and another one drawn, and no time to paint!!! Maybe I can pay somebody to paint them for me . . . :rolleyes:

Strawberry Wine
01-28-2004, 08:12 PM
Good Morning gang,
You are an amazing group of people. :angel: Of course I'll be sending Johnnie a card as well. I'll just mention that it's not nesessary to send one back and wish him well. I think it could only help him feel better about any difficulty he may be having. I'm new to this group but I already feel so comfortable talking to all of you. My husband is not an artist so I could paint a rock and he'd think it was a masterpeice. It's great to know that I now have a place that I can come to for help with my art and receive honest critique, from such kind people. Now I just have to learn how to post my work. That should be interesting. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me when the time comes.
Have a GREAT day!

Just give him time Tango, he will soon become your hardest and most valuable critic.

Mikki: Thanks for the boost to the new painters. i agree wholehartedly, I was terrified last year. It was an amazing experience.

Way to go Eye, take your time, enjoy painting each card.

I have 2 ready to post tomorrow. One on the go and have no idea what I will paint next at this point.

Connie: You too. take your time, enjoy, and they will get to the post office at some point.

Remember , there is no official deadline. I try and do 2 to 4 a week. Last year, some weeks I flowed and other weeks I may only have done oneor none. go with your own flow. Don't try and force yourself to paint a card just because you think you should. Stuck with ideas, post your problems here where we can all give you some input. Use the Image Library, your own photos, your imagination. Put some fruit or veggies out and paint them. These post cards can help stretch your imagination. Buy a bouquet of flowers and paint them. The possibilities are endless. Look out your window, what do you see? Go bck through your photo albums? I am sure you all get my drift. Keep it simple, try an abstract (shudders at that idea) use a 2 or 3 colour pallette. Ok Ok I will cease my rambling.

This time next week we should see some surprises in our mailboxes. Looking forward to viewing all the posts.

PS Don't forget to scan your painting before you send it out. (I almost did ) that is why the 2 cards wont be mailed until tomorrow. Whew.!!!!

Cheers,

Gail

Strawberry Wine
01-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Hi All We have participant number 25. Please check your private messages for name and address.

BY the way, in My Options, make sure tht you have ticked yes to the option "Show a Pop up Box when some one sends me a Private Message"

Gail

NorahT
01-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Welcome to our new member - nice to have a full house :)

Tango
01-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Good Morning and welcome to our new member. Exiting to have someone from Ireland.Glad you can join us.

Gudrun
01-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Wow..wow..wow..from Ireland...I like this internationality...welcome

diamondbird
01-29-2004, 05:57 PM
OOPS...I'm late again joining in this discussion, I think ....Anway, hello to every-one....Gail,JJ..Gudrun and all the rest.
I've just finished my first postcard on A5 Arches watercolour paper in ink and acyrlics...Hope that this is okay...
My mum's rather ill at the moment :crying: ...So I may have to go and help her out for a couple of weeks...
But I can paint some postcard at her house...and will join in again when I can...
CHEERS...and best of luck with all of your images...

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Strawberry Wine
01-29-2004, 06:10 PM
Hi Helen: Sorry to hear about your Mom's health. Hope she is feeling better soon. Paint some cards at your Mom's if you are feeling up to it. you can mail them from there (without scanning) if you want. Just ask the recipient to send you a scanned image, via uploader, via Private message, when they receive.

Take care and (((((( MOM))))) and most of all don't worry if you are not able to participate for a few weeks.

Gail

laudesan
01-29-2004, 08:09 PM
OOPS...I'm late again joining in this discussion, I think ....Anway, hello to every-one....Gail,JJ..Gudrun and all the rest.
I've just finished my first postcard on A5 Arches watercolour paper in ink and acyrlics...Hope that this is okay...
My mum's rather ill at the moment :crying: ...So I may have to go and help her out for a couple of weeks...
But I can paint some postcard at her house...and will join in again when I can...
CHEERS...and best of luck with all of your images...

Sorry to hear your Mum is ill........(((((((to her))))))) it is worrying I know....Alan's Mum is STILL in hospital :(

Welcome to our Irish Chapter :D

Eye
01-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Diamondbird, I wish your mom get well soon. Please take your time with the project.

dsoc
01-30-2004, 07:07 AM
Greetings to everyone from the new number 25. :)

At long last I have taken the plunge and got involved in a big project.

I am reasonably new to watercolour and so far have painted nothing bigger that about 8" x 6". A project like this will, hopefully, make me concentrate on painting as I find that I often stray back to using graphite, particularly if the paint doesn't do what i want it to.

I look forward to completing (and receiving) postcards over the coming weeks.

Déaglán

watercolorbill
01-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Welcome aboard Déaglán,
We really have a great group from all over the world. This project really gets the ceative juices flowing. At first the thought of making 24 paintings seems daunting, but it can become addictive. And, you can get many ideas from the Image Library.

old navy
01-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Welcome Deaglan,Iam new myself.I think you will like this group.This is my first project,and I am learning a lot.I traced my ancestery a few years ago and found that I am scots/irish.So have fun.ERIN_GOBRAUGH Ron

leojacko
01-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Greetings to everyone from the new number 25. :)

At long last I have taken the plunge and got involved in a big project.

I am reasonably new to watercolour and so far have painted nothing bigger that about 8" x 6". A project like this will, hopefully, make me concentrate on painting as I find that I often stray back to using graphite, particularly if the paint doesn't do what i want it to.

I look forward to completing (and receiving) postcards over the coming weeks.

Déaglán

Welcome on board !

I'm sure that post cards in graphite would be very welcome too !

I sent off my first 4 post cards today, will be PM ing recipients soon.

Leo

Mikki Petersen
01-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Diamondbird, your mother is in my prayers. don't forget to take care of yourself while you look after her...it can be very draining on your energies if you forget to nurture yourself along the way.

dsoc, welcome to the project! It's so much fun to have such a variety of residents of the world involved in an exchange!

Gail, your card is in the mail!

pinkbubelz
01-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Hey Everyone!

I'd like a little info on each of you... :)
The subject of my paintings/drawings will be a surprise (no hints!)
but I need only 1 piece of info....

Your Birthday year... :p

Please PM me and put "Post Card Exchange" in your title so that I know who I am getting the PMs from... ;)

I'll be starting my works this weekend! :D

--Iris

diamondbird
01-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Many thanks to all of those who sent good wishes to my Mum...
She is now in Hospital, and may be there some time...so I'm still at home...
have finished two cards so far, and will post them away during the week...
Am really enjoying painting them, and having lots of ideas...I decided to paint only my local area... as a postcard...to share the beautiful place where I am lucky enough to live.

laudesan
01-30-2004, 10:35 PM
(((Helens' Mum)))))

Well last night while the power was out, I sat down with my envelopes and stamps by candle light :D

It passed the time for a little while, I only had 10 stamps and 24 envelopes :D:D

We are on reduced power at present and it is HOT 35 degs :( There is another storm on the way :(

Tango
01-30-2004, 10:42 PM
Diamondbird. All my best wishes to you and your Mom. I looking forward to see where you live.

I have 4 cards made and ready to go but I'm waiting to get them scanned to post. We're going to our cabin this weekend so I'll be able to do a few more.This is soooo exciting!!! :clap:

diamondbird
01-30-2004, 11:14 PM
Diamondbird. All my best wishes to you and your Mom. I looking forward to see where you live.

I have 4 cards made and ready to go but I'm waiting to get them scanned to post. We're going to our cabin this weekend so I'll be able to do a few more.This is soooo exciting!!! :clap:

That sounds great...Is it a cabin in the deep woods?....I've heard that there are some very beautiful places in Canada...

Have heard that my mum will be in Hospital for a while.....they are running some medical tests on her...So I hope that they can find out what is wrong!

:angel: :angel:

diamondbird
01-30-2004, 11:16 PM
That sounds great...Is it a cabin in the deep woods?....I've heard that there are some very beautiful places in Canada...Due to massive thunderstorms here, we have a few times of lost power too...

Have heard that my mum will be in Hospital for a while.....they are running some medical tests on her...So I hope that they can find out what is wrong!

:angel: :angel:

diamondbird
01-30-2004, 11:20 PM
Hi!
hope that Acrylic and ink are good for the postcards!!
not sure what happened with the above message!

cmwynn
01-30-2004, 11:29 PM
I tend to chatter a lot about whatever I am doing, and have told dozens of people about this project. They all think it is exciting, especially having participants from several countries. I have 3 done, a fourth a maybe, one in the trash. Not a bad ration for me.
Connie

leojacko
01-31-2004, 12:43 AM
[Helen, Best Wishes to your Mum in hospital, hope they make speedy progress with her tests.]

This project is getting exciting now isn't it?

I have finished 4 cards & posted them off yesterday.

Worried about the cards getting folded so I reinforced by cutting a slightly larger piece of mount card & enclosing that too. Think that this may have doubled the postage price though.

Any ideas fellow PCers ?

Leo

Mikki Petersen
01-31-2004, 02:33 AM
[Helen, Best Wishes to your Mum in hospital, hope they make speedy progress with her tests.]

This project is getting exciting now isn't it?

I have finished 4 cards & posted them off yesterday.

Worried about the cards getting folded so I reinforced by cutting a slightly larger piece of mount card & enclosing that too. Think that this may have doubled the postage price though.

Any ideas fellow PCers ?

Leo

In the last exchange, I received cards from around the world, some even sent as postcards and they all arrived surprisingly undamaged. Most of the cards I did last time were unfixed pastel and everyone reported back to me that even they went through the mails satisfactorily. I bought an inexpensive package of 50 half-fold cards (5"x7") and envelopes. I write a greeting on the outside of the card and place the postcard in the center. Seems to work well (knock on wood!).

watercolorbill
01-31-2004, 03:25 AM
Cheryl ( Bellasmiiles) Confirmed she received her card !

laudesan
01-31-2004, 03:29 AM
What a beautiful card Bil ........

:clap: :clap:

laudesan
01-31-2004, 03:31 AM
Hi!
hope that Acrylic and ink are good for the postcards!!
not sure what happened with the above message!

Did you get hit by the storms last night Helen ????????

Eye
01-31-2004, 03:31 AM
Wow... very bright and beautiful painting. Great job Bill. Ai :clap:

bellasmiiles
01-31-2004, 03:34 AM
Bill...

Your card brightened my day !!! I cant wait to see it after I mat and frame it....I got started finally and finished my first car tonight...Hopefully I can have another one done tomorrow... :p

Strawberry Wine
01-31-2004, 08:27 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32929

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/32011/tn_schooner3.jpg

Bill: I love the colours you used for this painting. Is this done in only 2 colours?

I cam imagine being right there, enjoying an evening sail

Gail

NorahT
01-31-2004, 09:47 AM
Have heard that my mum will be in Hospital for a while.....

Just wanted to send positive vibrations to your Mum. Hospital is no fun, but it is where she needs to be until they find out what the problem is. Does she know she has a whole project pulling for her :)

NorahT
01-31-2004, 09:55 AM
Any ideas fellow PCers ?

I cut up cereal boxes to fit the envelope and put my cards between two of them. In most cases it did not seem to up the price of the postage. Hope this helps.

NorahT
01-31-2004, 10:04 AM

I enjoy this card Ron - reminds me of when I emigrated. We came by boat in those days and every morning of the six days across a young man would be out on one of the decks, in full regalia, playing the pipes. I can see him in this card :)

NorahT
01-31-2004, 10:12 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32929

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/32011/tn_schooner3.jpg

A lovely card Bill. I like the minimal palette, the way you have painted the waves and especially the way you have just suggested the sails :)

NorahT
01-31-2004, 10:17 AM
I have four cards painted, but I won't be able to send them out until I get home at the end of February, when I will have my own scanner handy. Meanwhile I will keep working on more. It is so exciting to see the cards coming in :clap:

Cathie Jones
01-31-2004, 04:39 PM
So . . . this will take longer than I thought. I finished the second card, but my husband wanted it, so I've just sent a $52 order to American Frame for a 5x7 card! Luckily, I really enjoyed paint this one, so I'll be happy to do it again - just slows me down and I was already crawling!!!! :rolleyes:

Mikki Petersen
01-31-2004, 07:54 PM

Very nice Bill! I sure do like the flowing washes in the sky!

Mikki Petersen
01-31-2004, 07:58 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32968

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/14550/tn_spring_peeper_PC_%282%29.jpg

This was my entry for Ron (Old Navy). Be advised recipients...I only paint whatever it is that appeals to me at the moment, so no telling what the subject matter will be!

Mikki Petersen
01-31-2004, 08:00 PM

You have done a wonderful sky background on this card. Great subject matter.

laudesan
01-31-2004, 08:07 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32968

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/14550/tn_spring_peeper_PC_%282%29.jpg

Ooooooh Beaut-ti-ful !!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Has Ron got his already ???

Wow you guys are quick ;)

Mikki Petersen
02-01-2004, 01:40 AM

Ooooooh Beaut-ti-ful !!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Has Ron got his already ???

Wow you guys are quick ;)

Yes! He PM'd me that he'd received the card...I don't think we are especially quick, I think Ron probably must have a speedy postman :D .

I'm glad you like the frog. I don't know how people manage to capture critters in such unusual poses, but I'm glad Miss Mouse does and others too. Makes for some fun stuff to paint.

painterbear
02-01-2004, 05:35 AM

:eek:
What a shock when I opened the Gallery and saw this wonderful painting, Mikki—this is the same reference photo I have lined up for my next postcard. LOL!

You've really captured the texture of the frog's skin and the background vegetation beautifully. Nice painting. Your watercolors are really coming along.

painterbear
02-01-2004, 05:36 AM

You can almost hear the wonderful bagpipe music as you look at this lovely painting. Very nicely done. Who is the lucky recipient????

painterbear
02-01-2004, 05:38 AM

Lovely wet into wet sky and water and just enough brushstrokes to show us the schooner sailing through the mist. Beautiful painting, Bill.

painterbear
02-01-2004, 05:42 AM
May I suggest that when we post our cards in the Gallery, we say what medium we used when painting the card (since we will have a variety of mediums) and also who the recipient of the card was.

laudesan
02-01-2004, 05:46 AM
Good Idea Sylvia.........

I have got painters block :eek:

And I have just realised i haven't done my weekly painting yet :eek: :crying: :(

Strawberry Wine
02-01-2004, 08:29 AM

Hi Mikkii: Love this little guy: It is a sure sign of Spring when we hear them from the boggy areas that all the snow has left.

Gail

NorahT
02-01-2004, 10:03 AM

Lovely watercolour - I too like the texture of the skin and the background vegetation. I hope Miss Mouse gets to see this :)

Mikki Petersen
02-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the very nice comments on my frog. He just sort of seemed to appear on the paper with each brush stroke. I just love when that happens.

I have two more ready for the mail tomorrow.

JJ, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through one of those funk times. Maybe you need to just give yourself a break for a few days...you've been doing some great work! Another idea is to try playing around with another medium or doing a collage or even finger painting! ((((((JJ)))))

diamondbird
02-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Just wanted to send positive vibrations to your Mum. Hospital is no fun, but it is where she needs to be until they find out what the problem is. Does she know she has a whole project pulling for her :)
Hi Norah,
The first entries look great....
and many MANY thanks for the good wishes...but alas, My Mum has Alziemers disease, the doctors think...and it is very hard for any-one to talk to her....
It really looks like postcards are starting to fly around....I'll post my first few off on Wednesday, hopefully
Stick with it, JJ,...it can be really hard at these time?...How about some drawing or painting some swirling lines with a big waterclour brush, I find this helps me when I'm stuck....It's a way to let loose and have fun, (like finger painting) ....and you'll soon be painting masterpieces again.....

Eye
02-01-2004, 09:36 PM

I can hear the sound of the pipe from Thailand. Nice job Old navy. Ai

Eye
02-01-2004, 09:39 PM

Mikki, excellent. It is so nice to be at wetcanvas and see this cute creature poping out of the screen. Very nicely done. Ai

watercolorbill
02-02-2004, 04:33 AM
Thanks Cheryl I'm glad you enjoyed my painting. It was fun to do.

And so many thans to Gail, Norah, Mikki and Sylvia for your nice comments and imput. This project is so much fun.

watercolorbill
02-02-2004, 04:36 AM

Wow Mikki, This is great. I just love the smug little look on his face. Beautifully done. Great color balance.

Strawberry Wine
02-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Hi All : Due to our snowy conditions I did not get to put any cards in the mail on Friday. but I now have 6 ready that will be mailed today :clap:

Then back to the drawing board.

Cheers,

Gail

laudesan
02-02-2004, 08:28 AM
You are doing great Gail :)

I am posting 3 more tomorrow, that will make 5 done and Posted.. :clap: :) :D

Tango
02-02-2004, 09:20 AM
You guys are incredible!!
I go away for a day and look what happens,LOL. These paintings are BEAUTIFUL! I'm almost afraid to send mine off now.(kidding)I'm back from the cabin. NO, unfortunately it's not in the deep woods. It's in a tiny hamlit about 2 hours from Vancouver. It's remote enough though.Its on the side of a mountian nestled amongst 80 foot Douglas firs, like a little bird house. Unfortunately there was too much work to do there and I didn't get any cards done.I better pick up the pace because by the looks of it, I'll fall behind real quick. Have great day.

Gudrun
02-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Wow, my first card arrived in the german mailbox...Mikki thank you so much for the wonderful passion flower..I love that flower, we can't have it outside in winter, thats why I have it in my bedroom :p ..But in summer I put them outside and that are wonderful blossoms..like your painting Mikki...
I finished 5 (was quicker with the christmas cards :( :( )..and have to mail them...
I love that exchange and my kids are always excited when an envelope from overseas arrives...
Gudrun

diamondbird
02-02-2004, 05:41 PM

I just wanted to say that I think this is a great painting...it's so frog like...and the light and shading on the curious frog is wonderful...
Is he a tree frog?

diamondbird
02-02-2004, 05:46 PM

Hi Bill!
what a wonderful painting...the golden light in this is fantastic.....a perfect evening!!... A perfect moment in sailing..which I love although I have very little experience of iit....great!

diamondbird
02-02-2004, 05:53 PM

Hi old navy!
a great image and words..."the pipes are forever".....All too true for me whose long line of ancestors with colourful stories that lead back to Rob Roy Mcgregor....many of them were pipers....And one of them even jumped ship in America, lived with the native people, and led the defence of the Alamo leading Davy Crockett's army...playing his pipes...
This picture aroses a lot of memories for me...

Strawberry Wine
02-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Wow, my first card arrived in the german mailbox...Mikki thank you so much for the wonderful passion flower..I love that flower, we can't have it outside in winter, thats why I have it in my bedroom :p ..But in summer I put them outside and that are wonderful blossoms..like your painting Mikki...
I finished 5 (was quicker with the christmas cards :( :( )..and have to mail them...
I love that exchange and my kids are always excited when an envelope from overseas arrives...
Gudrun

Hi Gudrun: Did you remember that we should send a Private Message to the sender (Mikki) to say you had received her card??

Tango: I am envious of your cabin. Hope you paint some of the B.C scenery surrounding it. And the cabin too. :)

Helen: I am very saddened to hear that your Mom's diagnosis could be Alziemers. I have heard that some of the new medications are really slowing down the progress of this disease.

My first batch of cards were mailed today and I just finished another and now I am stumped for the moment. Will sleep on it.

Mikki, can't wait to see what Gudrun received.

Gail

Mikki Petersen
02-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33042

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/14550/tn_passion_flwr_PC_%282%29.jpg

Gudrun just PM'd me that she received this card so I'm posting it. Funny how a card reached Germany before a card reached Canada...go figure!

Mikki Petersen
02-02-2004, 07:21 PM

I just wanted to say that I think this is a great painting...it's so frog like...and the light and shading on the curious frog is wonderful...
Is he a tree frog?

I don't know...the photo from the RIL just said "Spring Peeper". I was attracted by the unusual pose. Thanks for the kind comments.

laudesan
02-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33042

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/14550/tn_passion_flwr_PC_%282%29.jpg

ASOLUTELY GORGEOUS :clap:

Ooooooooh I can't WAIT to get my card from you. :D:D:D

Mikki Petersen
02-02-2004, 07:41 PM

ASOLUTELY GORGEOUS :clap:

Ooooooooh I can't WAIT to get my card from you. :D:D:D

Thank you JJ! Now the pressure is on...I'll have to think of something special.

laudesan
02-02-2004, 07:44 PM
He he he .......nothing like a little pressure to help one create a masterpiece :D:D

Having said that I will have to have a look and see what I am going to paint for you.. ;)

diamondbird
02-02-2004, 07:45 PM

Hi!
just wanted to say....that this is a great image........the flower is very beautiful and striking and really commands attention in the picture....Looks like a passionflower to me....

Strawberry Wine
02-02-2004, 09:39 PM

Gudrun just PM'd me that she received this card so I'm posting it. Funny how a card reached Germany before a card reached Canada...go figure!

Mikki; During the Christmas card exchange, my cards reached Germany and Australia before they reached another destination in Ontario. :)

Now I am heading to the projects to see your card

Gail

Strawberry Wine
02-02-2004, 09:43 PM

Mikki: your passion flower is beautiful :clap: :clap: I love the way you have achieved the 3 -d effect with the purple spikes of the flower. Your leaves are so well done.

Looking forward to your card to me too.

Gail

cmwynn
02-02-2004, 10:15 PM
Well, I need someone to hold my hand again. Why is EVERYTHING new so hard to learn? I just received my first postcard, a major thrill. But now I can't send (my first) PM. I found the Help discussion and opened the correct form, but put the name, Impete, and they rejected it. What did I do wrong? So for now, Mikki, consider this a public private message. The painting is exquisite. I want to share it with everyone, so go ahead and post it as finished. When I get this straightened out I will pm you for real. The passion flower and peeper are also great.
I truly enjoyed the painting but it also put a lump in my throat. Mine will not be any where nearly so well done. But I am learning and having fun with the project. Like someone else here, I will try to use my own local, that is from the state of Georgia, photos. They are so much better with a digital camera than I ever took with older type cameras.
Connie

NorahT
02-02-2004, 10:20 PM
but put the name, Impete, and they rejected it.

It took me a while to realize it, but 1mpete is spelled with the number "1" instead of the capital "I" :)

Eye
02-02-2004, 10:52 PM

Very beautiful work, Mikki. Gudrun is a lucky receiver. The painting is also bright up my computer screen. :p Ai

cmwynn
02-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Norah - Thanks so much. I was feeling really incompetent there. Now I see that I just wasn't looking carefully.
Connie

Gudrun
02-02-2004, 11:25 PM

This flower IS beautiful....I don't know where Mikky knew from that I love this flowers...Somewhen I'd like to see that flowers growing in a climate where you don't have to bring it inside the house in winter....I have one with the same cloor like this one on the painting...it sleeps now it's winter sleep in german climate..in my bedroom ;) ;)
Gudrun

Mikki Petersen
02-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33053

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/14550/tn_marketPC_%282%29.jpg

I just received a PM from Connie (cmwynn) that she has received this card. It is watercolor from a RIL photo by Madmum. It was a lot more work than I expected it to be for such a small piece.

laudesan
02-03-2004, 12:31 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33053

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/14550/tn_marketPC_%282%29.jpg

Another beauty :clap: :clap:

Oh but you are gooooooooooooooood................:)

Mikki Petersen
02-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Ummm...thanks everyone for all the great praise for my cards. I'm beginning to feel a little uneasy here...hope some more of you get to post soon.

A word of encouragement here...so far my cards this year are much better and flowing much more easily than the cards I did last year. This is a GOOD thing! It proves that practice improves our painting. BUT, don't make the mistake of comparing your work with the work of others. It kept me from painting for over 30 years! My work is my work...yours is yours...we are all on a learning path and we each have our own style and vision. Because your work does not look like someone else's is what makes good art! I can't wait to see all the cards out there so...get posting!

Over in the Pastel Forum, my first Wet Canvas home, there are a number of Internationally known artists posting right along with the beginners. these people have private shows, have published books, travel the world teaching their trade...and they suffer the "uglies" in the middle of every painting just like the rest of us. So it's a process, like stage fright, I guess.

Mikki Petersen
02-03-2004, 12:37 AM

Another beauty :clap: :clap:

Oh but you are gooooooooooooooood................:)

Thanks, JJ! Hey, I just noticed you have links to Rod's lessons in your signature. Thanks for that, I've been looking for them and so far have not found them except the Paint a Longs.

watercolorbill
02-03-2004, 03:00 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33073

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/32011/tn_murano_lighthouse_sm.jpg

I received a PM from Helen (diamondbird) It's a watercolor of the Lighthouse on Murano,from the RIL by Olga. Just love those Lighthouses.... As some of you will see !!

laudesan
02-03-2004, 03:03 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33073

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/32011/tn_murano_lighthouse_sm.jpg

Very nice Bill.....I really like the greens and blues in your ocean..

watercolorbill
02-03-2004, 04:23 AM
Thanks JJ. I really loved the feel of the scene.

Also .... Question for Gail. When we send a card to "Johnnie" should we post an image in the thread ?

laudesan
02-03-2004, 04:33 AM
Oh say yes Gail.....I want to see all the cards painted :D:D ;)

painterbear
02-03-2004, 06:23 AM

Beautiful passionflower, Mikki. Doesn't look like a very easy flower to paint, but you did a fabulous job with it. Lucky Gudrun!

painterbear
02-03-2004, 06:34 AM

Mikki,

Your colors are so clean and fresh in this wonderful scene. You have so much going on here, it is terrific.

Hope you let Ruth know you used her photo, I think she would love to see it.

painterbear
02-03-2004, 06:37 AM

Wonderful bright, clean colors, Bill. Terrific job on the lighthouse. Your painting brings back happy memories of a visit to Murano for me.

I'm sure Olga would be delighted to know you used her photo for your painting.

Strawberry Wine
02-03-2004, 08:26 AM

Fabulous Mikki: You have so much detail in this painting, I have to keep going back and taking more looks. Baskets, a blanket, loads of fruit and veggies. Love the corner curio with the plates inside. i see a lobster trap on the pavement. Love the umbrella and the background houses. This would be a great painting to hang in or near the kitchen.

Excellent

Gail

Did I mention I like it. :)

Strawberry Wine
02-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Ummm...thanks everyone for all the great praise for my cards. I'm beginning to feel a little uneasy here...hope some more of you get to post soon.

A word of encouragement here...so far my cards this year are much better and flowing much more easily than the cards I did last year. This is a GOOD thing! It proves that practice improves our painting. BUT, don't make the mistake of comparing your work with the work of others. It kept me from painting for over 30 years! My work is my work...yours is yours...we are all on a learning path and we each have our own style and vision. Because your work does not look like someone else's is what makes good art! I can't wait to see all the cards out there so...get posting!

Over in the Pastel Forum, my first Wet Canvas home, there are a number of Internationally known artists posting right along with the beginners. these people have private shows, have published books, travel the world teaching their trade...and they suffer the "uglies" in the middle of every painting just like the rest of us. So it's a process, like stage fright, I guess.

Well said Mikki!!!

NOTE

Wilddash 1 is now using his real name as his user name. So PM him when you receive a card from him using daveshattuck

A big YES to posting your cards to Johnnie in the Final Entries.

Will BBL after work.

Gail

Johnnie
02-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Well, I need someone to hold my hand again. Why is EVERYTHING new so hard to learn? I just received my first postcard, a major thrill. But now I can't send (my first) PM. I found the Help discussion and opened the correct form, but put the name, Impete, and they rejected it. What did I do wrong? So for now, Mikki, consider this a public private message. The painting is exquisite. I want to share it with everyone, so go ahead and post it as finished. When I get this straightened out I will pm you for real. The passion flower and peeper are also great.
I truly enjoyed the painting but it also put a lump in my throat. Mine will not be any where nearly so well done. But I am learning and having fun with the project. Like someone else here, I will try to use my own local, that is from the state of Georgia, photos. They are so much better with a digital camera than I ever took with older type cameras.
Connie

Hi Connie

Just to help you here. Where you see the Tiny Head of the person click on the name beside the picture with your left mouse button. A little menu will pop down and there you will see send PM send Email and other stuf. Thats the easiest way to do it.

To All
Hi all. Just watching the threads as they past by and thought I would mention how nice all the paintings are that have been done so far. Just fantastic. Very well done. I know I bowed out of this but I am following along on the odd day and it really perks me up to see you all getting this done and so wonderfully painted too!
Also to everyone thanks for the kind words way back there. I really appreciate the thoughts.

I will be lurking so watch what you all say, Eh!! :)

Have a good day all, and keep up the good work. And just to reiterate anothers thoughts. Dont compare what you do to what others do. If I would have done that in the beginning I would have never picked up a brush. Everyone is different. All ART is great. The end results dont really matter, its the enjoyment you get from it that counts in the end.

Good luck to all

Johnnie

old navy
02-03-2004, 09:29 AM
This is a card I sent to Johnnie.I liked it because of all the colors.Each card I paint I learn something new.Ron

Eye
02-03-2004, 10:11 AM

Wow... Mikki. Beautiful charming details in a little card. Great job. Ai

Eye
02-03-2004, 10:21 AM

Very bright and nice lighthouse scene. Well done Bill.

Eye
02-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33074

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/32902/tn_0005.jpg

Old navy. This bird is a cutie. I love the bright clear colors. Ai

Gudrun
02-03-2004, 01:40 PM

Wonderful...and of course I see that it was work....so many nice details....you are an arts woman, really

Mikki Petersen
02-03-2004, 02:13 PM

Beautiful! Such great contrasting colors...such a sense of peacefulness.

Mikki Petersen
02-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33074

Birds just fascinate me and they are such a fun subject to paint...you've done a lovely job with this one. Your tree trunk is very realistic!

Cathie Jones
02-03-2004, 03:42 PM

We can finally reveal the secret . . . I'm the lucky recipient of this card. We discovered early in the thread that OldNavy and I are both of Scot/Irish descent, and love the pipes!

Thank you!!!

painterbear
02-03-2004, 03:43 PM

Your little bird has a happy "smile" in his beak. Nice bright colors. Like the little red butterfly too.

When are you going to post the card you sent to me so I can show off too????? ;)

old navy
02-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Sylvia,I read my mail a few minutes ago.Its good to hear that you and your husband enjoyed a long military life.I was only in the navy for 4 years,but as I got older I realized I was having the time of my life.Here is your panda.I see my new camera is out of focus.Ron

old navy
02-03-2004, 05:12 PM

[IMG]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/32011/tn_murano_lighthouse_sm.jpg[/IMG I just noticed you are enrolled in 3 different projects.Thats great and they look so good to.Your colors are so vibrant.Good show.Ron

painterbear
02-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33083

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/32902/tn_0004.jpg

This is the charming painting Ron sent to start me off in the Postcard exchange—a panda bear for the painterbear. LOL! :D

He is happily chewing on a piece of bamboo. You caught the sad, almost teary look in the eyes so well. I like the painted frame around the painting too.

By the end of this project, Ron, you'll be amazed at how your skills have improved. I found that it was a tremendous help to me last year because it forces you to practice, practice, practice which is the only way to improve.

Thanks again. Your panda is enscounced on my wall looking at me as I type this. ;)

Strawberry Wine
02-03-2004, 07:09 PM

Ron: I thought I had commented on this wonderful piper of yours way back when you first posted it. I just realized that I did not. He is so Scots looking and love the way you have the sky surrounding him. who did this card go to?

Gail

Strawberry Wine
02-03-2004, 07:32 PM

Ron: Johnnie will love it, I am sure. he looks like a Tucan to me, the bird, not Johnnie :) . Well done bark on the trunk of the tree. My only suggestion for next time would be, to narrow the ends of the branches down somewhat and extend them to the outside of your paper then use a rigger brush for the fine detail of the ends of the branches and twiggy bits off of the main branch.

Gail

laudesan
02-03-2004, 07:34 PM

Ron this is a delightful card !! So cheerful too..

I am sure Johnnie is going to love it :)

Keep 'em coming ;)

This is sooooooo much fun!

laudesan
02-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33083

Your Panda did come out o.k. Delightful and oh so cute :)

Strawberry Wine
02-03-2004, 07:38 PM

hi again Ron:

your Panda looks great. It must be bamboo he is munching on. (Which I am trying to grow in my kitchen) Love the colours you used. Can you go back to your image program and sharpen him up some. ??? he is a bit blurry.

Gail

Strawberry Wine
02-03-2004, 07:41 PM

Bill: your skies are terrific. I just love that yellow. What did you use???? Excellent use of the greens, browns, and yellows in the water reflections.

Gail

Strawberry Wine
02-03-2004, 07:47 PM

This is the charming painting Ron sent to start me off in the Postcard exchange—a panda bear for the painterbear. LOL! :D

He is happily chewing on a piece of bamboo. You caught the sad, almost teary look in the eyes so well. I like the painted frame around the painting too.

By the end of this project, Ron, you'll be amazed at how your skills have improved. I found that it was a tremendous help to me last year because it forces you to practice, practice, practice which is the only way to improve.

Thanks again. Your panda is enscounced on my wall looking at me as I type this. ;)

Hi Sylvia: I recall that I painted a bear for you last year splashing a lot of paint around. I remember how much fun I had painting your postcard. Can you enlighten us to how you came up with the 'bear" part of your name .

Gail

Strawberry Wine
02-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Mikkie: Hurry, hurry, hurry and post your painting that you sent to me. I can hardly wait to comment.

Gail

old navy
02-03-2004, 09:00 PM

Ron: I thought I had commented on this wonderful piper of yours way back when you first posted it. I just realized that I did not. He is so Scots looking and love the way you have the sky surrounding him. who did this card go to?

Gail
Gail,Since Cathie Jones Is scot/irish,I offered it to her and she took it.Thanks for the comments.Ron

Strawberry Wine
02-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Hi Johnnie: So glad that you are lurking and popping in posts here and there.

Hugs

Gail

Cathie Jones
02-03-2004, 11:32 PM
This is moving a bit faster than I thought! Finished the re-do of the one Don wanted to keep, so I now have a second card ready to mail in the next day or two. There's another one in the works but it involves crystal, which I've never done, so we'll see if that one flies!!!

This is so much fun! And I love the cards that have been posted so far.

Ron, your bear and bird are as imaginative as the piper! Bill's colors are terrific . . . and what can you say about Mikki's oh-so-impressive entry and that gorgeous sea and sailboat!

Can't wait to receive my next one . . . and to post the one I've sent.

Mikki Petersen
02-04-2004, 01:28 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33097

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/14550/tn_Sir_Knight_%282%29.jpg

Just got PM that Gail received this card, "Sir Knight". From a RIL photo by Nipnose, I was a bit apprehensive about the horse never having done horses but it turned out to be easier than the man's face!

laudesan
02-04-2004, 01:37 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=33097

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/14550/tn_Sir_Knight_%282%29.jpg

Just fabulous.......We have a Master in our midst ;)

Mikki Petersen
02-04-2004, 01:46 AM

Ugh! the blurry image hurts my eyes and makes my tummy churn but I suspect the real image is great from what I can make out here.

Mikki Petersen
02-04-2004, 01:48 AM
LOL, JJ, you just crack me up :D but thanks all the same!

Eye
02-04-2004, 02:13 AM

Mikki, your first horse is so awesome. I also like the way you paint the knight. He looks like a graceful hero. Ai

Eye
02-04-2004, 02:20 AM

The panda is another cutie, Ron.... even it seems a bit blur. Ai

Mikki Petersen
02-04-2004, 02:42 AM

Mikki, your first horse is so awesome. I also like the way you paint the knight. He looks like a graceful hero. Ai

Thanks, Ai. Yes, I thought the man in costume was perfect for his role...very heroic looking.

painterbear
02-04-2004, 04:26 AM
Hi Sylvia: I recall that I painted a bear for you last year splashing a lot of paint around. I remember how much fun I had painting your postcard. Can you enlighten us to how you came up with the 'bear" part of your name .

Gail

Yes, Gail, I still have your darling bear holding her paint brush. I'll have to hang it next to Ron's panda.

"Bear" came about because we called our daughter "Baby Bear" when she was little because she was a, how to say this delicately, little chubby and cuddly like a teddy bear. Then, of course, my husband was Papa Bear and I was Mamma Bear. This morphed into all kinds of things—Cooker Bear when sending recipes, Reader Bear when recommending books, etc. Trying to think of a user name for WC, I came up with "painterbear" of course. ;)

Strawberry Wine
02-04-2004, 08:02 AM

Hi All: This is the card I received from Mikki yesterday. It just galloped out of the envelope when I opened it. Mikki, this is your first horse??/ It is fantastic. the armour on Sir Knight is so intricate . I love the way you brought the colour of the horse into the rider. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gail

Strawberry Wine
02-04-2004, 08:11 AM
Hi Sylvia: Thanks for sharing your name with us. Now that you have refreshed my memory, I do remember a thread some time ago, where we all explained our nick names.

Cheers,

Gail

NorahT
02-04-2004, 10:08 AM
[http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/630/completed/32011/tn_murano_lighthouse_sm.jpg

Bill: your skies are terrific. Gail[/QUOTE]

I agree and I like the way you painted the water in both your cards. We spent a warm sunny day on Morano about fifteen years ago and this lovely card takes me right back there.

NorahT
02-04-2004, 10:13 AM

The colourful bird and butterfly are a nice contrast to the browns and greys of the trunk. I am sure Johnnie will give him a good home :)

NorahT
02-04-2004, 10:20 AM

I think she turned out all right too - nice and cuddly. The black and white is set off well by the bamboo green.

NorahT
02-04-2004, 10:24 AM

Beautifully done! I especially like the colours, with the peach background gently reflected in a few petals.

NorahT
02-04-2004, 10:27 AM

A lovely display of shapes and colours, and I like the way you achieve distance with the softer colours.

NorahT
02-04-2004, 10:31 AM

Fabulous - the horse, the man, hair, leather, metal, colours, background - I wouldn't mind meeting him in my dreams :D