PDA

View Full Version : I hope this qualifies....

digistyle
08-07-2001, 10:18 PM
....as a pen and ink drawing. Nothing fancy, used photo from a magazine for a reference and a Sanford Gel Pen. This is not really my medium, but you guys' enthusiasm [sp?] made me want to give it a try. Turned out to be a fun exercise. :)

digistyle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2001/gelpen.jpg

NorahT
08-07-2001, 10:48 PM
Nice drawing - the hair in particular is lovely!

I would say this definitely qualifies :) :)

Wyobud
08-08-2001, 07:08 AM
Nice touch digistyle..........I knew you could do this kind of work if we could just get you away from that puter for a few minutes LOL. I'm not surprised, all your work is good.

Nice control of your line, the pen must have a good feel.

Thanks for shareing

BUD

artdude
08-08-2001, 07:18 AM
You did a great job inking this. Glad you decided to give the ink medium a try :) Think you might do more?

RuthT
08-08-2001, 04:56 PM
Welcome the to pen and inkers digistyle. I enjoyed seeing your drawing and think you have made an impressive start :)

digistyle
08-08-2001, 10:35 PM
NorahT: Thanks. Drawing the hair was the most enjoyable part for me. I liked working out the shadows and lights to render the curls and waves.

Wyobud: Thanks. Every now and then the old "magic box" relinquishes its' grip on my drawing hand :D

artdude: Congrats on heading up the effort to start this forum. Yeah, I think I'll do some more. I stopped by the library on the way home and picked up a book on pen & ink drawing techniques. I'll post something else after I've had more practice.

RuthT: Thanks. Glad you liked it!

...And finally, the first of many questions. Do you guys start with a pencil sketch or do you go directly to ink? I used ink on this one from start to finish but I think it would have been better served if I had done a sketch first. Also, what tools do you recommend for a beginner to start with?

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

digistyle

Wyobud
08-08-2001, 10:58 PM
digistyle..........Most of the time I sketch in very light pencil first. It seems I lose my composition if I don"t. I usually use several different tips for each piece and I prefer dip pens. I get a kick out of using ink with a brush and I don't pre-sketch on those. I really like the expresion of line that oriental art gives.

BUD

artdude
08-09-2001, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by digistyle
Do you guys start with a pencil sketch or do you go directly to ink? I used ink on this one from start to finish but I think it would have been better served if I had done a sketch first. Also, what tools do you recommend for a beginner to start with?

If I'm just sketching I don't use pencil. For planning out a final composition I will lightly draw it out in pencil first and even shade lightly where my darks are going to be. After the drawing is finished I just erase any pencil that is showing. Dip pens are great but can get a little messy. Non-refillable ink pens would be a good place to start and you can get them in sets with different nib sizes. A heavy smooth paper will give you some nice crisp lines but you can experiment with all types.
Looking forward to seeing more ink work from you :D

baquitania
08-09-2001, 01:06 PM
this is great digistyle, what's the rush over using your computer? infinite color, control, and a sense of permanency? okay now I want photoshop and illustrator.... just kidding, i know it's apples & oranges, thanks for sharing your pre-electronic style with us, and i be now you're gonna scan it, and go to town...;) have fun, bobby

digistyle
08-11-2001, 11:49 AM
Thanks for suggestions, folks. I'm planning to make a run to the art supply store this weekend. Hope to have something worth posting in a week or so.

digistyle