PDA

View Full Version : Summer Marshes

llis
08-07-2001, 02:27 PM
Critique top to bottom.

Oil, 16X20

Digital Picture is not a vibrant as actual colors. Did not try to photo enchance because I really don't know how.

Any suggestions you can give me would be appreciated.

Cherie
08-07-2001, 02:32 PM
llis.........?
I don't see a picture.

llis
08-07-2001, 03:33 PM
Will try again....Sorry :(

llis
08-07-2001, 03:43 PM
to get a good image

LarrySeiler
08-07-2001, 04:12 PM
thanks Llis...for posting.

I'll get back to you more, (class going on), but first thing I'd say hit me immediately was that an apparent lacking of color unity by means of rythym seems to be missing. Colors that will seek each other out throughout the painting to pull it together as a whole.

For example, I see this strong yellow pigment of the mid ground grasses, but do not see this color repeated anywhere else. Seems true for a number of other colors as well. You need to sense and work some of this throughtout. I see small flecks of color as though you tried to achieve this, but it is not strong enough I think.

I'll get back to you...but that's something maybe for the moment for you to muse over!

btw...I do appreciate your bold colors used...they just need more cohesiveness!

Larry

llis
08-07-2001, 05:25 PM
Thanks, Larry. I wondered if I needed more color spread around. You are right, I did try to move some around, but I see what you mean.

I'll work on it tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks!

LarrySeiler
08-07-2001, 05:49 PM
Another thing you must decide Llis is your story here as concerns the sun.

Is the sun high, low...to the left, to the right?

If the sun is high, water reflections are washed out and light. If the sun is low, water reflections are darker.

Shadows might be darker/cooler or more subdued.

Tree trunks warmer the lower the sun gets slowly moving down the color temp chart...unless in total shade, then very cool in color.

Larry

woodciro
08-15-2001, 05:19 PM
I notice a lack of atmospheric perspective here. The far treeline seems to have as much value as the foreground.

Also, some of those bright grasses need reflections to anchor them and help verify the fact that it is indeed water under them.

I almost prefer the first version you posted. The muted darkened effect seemed to fit the marsh you were depicting.