PDA

View Full Version : My new website!

Jholdren
01-16-2004, 04:24 PM
:) I just finished my new website at www.justinholdren.com and would love any feedback on the artwork. The site itself I couln't change much because I used a pre-existing design. Myself and two other partners own a web and graphic design firm, so we are so busy doing awesome site designs for other people, that I didn't have time to design a custom site for myself! I would mostly like feedback on the work and how fast the images load - I my have to re-optimize them in photoshop to make them load faster. You can check out our graphic company website at: www.griffonmedia.com

Justin

www.justinholdren.com

www.griffonmedia.com

Toadie
01-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Justin your site look very nice to me! Clean easy to navagate and to my surprise the pictures loaded fast and They never do any where else.....:) Great job what your secret to loading pics fast?

Cathy Morgan
01-16-2004, 09:55 PM
:) I would mostly like feedback on the work and how fast the images load - I my have to re-optimize them in photoshop to make them load faster.

There's enough writing on the home page to make the wait for the pictures easier, but the main picture did load very slowly. I didn't time it, but I checked out another site while it loaded. That tells you something.

The Gallery page is worse because there was less to hold my interest. Thumbnails should definitely load faster than THAT.

Looking at the About the Artist page I noticed that the text jumped around a bit as the photo loaded. That made me think that the photo size wasn't set. I've been told that telling the browser the picture size in advance, speeds loading a bit as the browser leaves the appropriate space.

My rule of thumb is that the home page should load in ten seconds or less at 33kbs. You're way over that, but of course you might not buy my rule as a goal. I'd at least work on the thumbnails loading faster.

Except for speed, the site is very attractive and well organized.

Jholdren
01-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Justin your site look very nice to me! Clean easy to navagate and to my surprise the pictures loaded fast and They never do any where else.....:) Great job what your secret to loading pics fast?

Michelle,
Thanks for the comments. All I do with the pictures is open them in photoshop and optimize them for the web by compressing the file size. I am currently redoing them so they will load even faster.

Jholdren
01-17-2004, 12:35 AM
There's enough writing on the home page to make the wait for the pictures easier, but the main picture did load very slowly. I didn't time it, but I checked out another site while it loaded. That tells you something.

The Gallery page is worse because there was less to hold my interest. Thumbnails should definitely load faster than THAT.

Looking at the About the Artist page I noticed that the text jumped around a bit as the photo loaded. That made me think that the photo size wasn't set. I've been told that telling the browser the picture size in advance, speeds loading a bit as the browser leaves the appropriate space.

My rule of thumb is that the home page should load in ten seconds or less at 33kbs. You're way over that, but of course you might not buy my rule as a goal. I'd at least work on the thumbnails loading faster.

Except for speed, the site is very attractive and well organized.

Thanks for the comments Cathy. I put this site up pretty fast, so I still have some bugs to work out. Part of the problem is I used a template, which limited my control over the content on each page. I am redoing all my pictures in photoshop so they load faster. Normally when I design a site for a client, we splice it using Macromedia fireworks so it loads faster. You can check out the sites our business designs by going to our website at www.griffonmedia.com. The problem with this site is I couldn't edit it in a program like Dreamweaver or Fireworks - I had to use the wizard that came with the site and hosting. As soon as I have time, I will be designing a custom site like we do for our clients. Thanks for your great comments!

online art
01-17-2004, 02:11 PM
HI,

Site took approx 50 secs to load on a 56K modem - way too long, nice layout and easy to navigate.

Hope this helps

L C Church
01-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Justin, I was impressed with how fast your site loaded.( imac ) Gallery page was a little slow but not enough for me to be annoyed with it. Sounds like your still fine tuning it.
I think i'll keep you in mind when I get ready for my site :D

L C Church
01-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Justin, looked at the Griffon Media site, i'd like to give a couple suggestions.
The Portfolio page is slow, and I didn't see any way to enlarge graphics of what sites you have already developed, some of us old coots have bad eye sight :D The visit this site on the banner never would load. Tried it several times.
On a personnel note, are you based in the Carolinas? My people are from Lenoir, down the mountain from Blowing Rock, and Boone.
Look forward to working with you in the future.

puzzlecat
01-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Justin, Sounds like you wanted a comment on the artwork, not the web site. I loved the summer sky, everything looked pretty good. The pictures loaded very quickly - I have a cabel modem

Jholdren
01-18-2004, 12:35 AM
Thanks everyone so much for the comments! We just redesigned our Design business website too, so we are still fine tuning it as well. As for my personal website, I am going to re-optimize all my images in photoshop so they load faster. If you repeat visit the site, they load faster, but it is till slower than I want. Thanks for all the input! I love this site!

Jholdren
01-18-2004, 12:38 AM
Justin, looked at the Griffon Media site, i'd like to give a couple suggestions.
The Portfolio page is slow, and I didn't see any way to enlarge graphics of what sites you have already developed, some of us old coots have bad eye sight :D The visit this site on the banner never would load. Tried it several times.
On a personnel note, are you based in the Carolinas? My people are from Lenoir, down the mountain from Blowing Rock, and Boone.
Look forward to working with you in the future.
We are based in Burlington, NC. I am probably about an hour or two from you. Hope to work with you in the future!

Justin