PDA

View Full Version : New to ebay - Need help with Gallery!!

artbyrenata
01-16-2004, 12:19 AM
Hiya. I am new to selling on ebay and decided to put up two paintings for sale as my first :) I am really having problems with sizing in the Gallery pic. I wanted to fill the whole square 64x64, but when I made the gallery pic that small it wouldn't even show up! So I changed it to 256x256. Now it is better, but still doesn't fill the whole square. It seems to make its own gallery pic from the free pic we are allowed....I just don't understand how to do this..any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Renata

Oh..and if there is anything else that looks "wrong", please let me know..price..picture..etc....

TeAnne
01-16-2004, 12:38 AM
Could you give us a link please?

artbyrenata
01-16-2004, 01:25 AM
Sure :) Sorry!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654711538&category=20158

and

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654713886&category=20158

tmcclary
01-16-2004, 03:06 AM
Try making it 96x96 pixels. I think that is the right size.

ElizaLeahy
01-16-2004, 05:08 AM
Sure :) Sorry!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654711538&category=20158

and

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654713886&category=20158

Your gallery pic doesn't look too bad.

But I have one real big problem with your auction - and that's your lounge view. Your painting is appearently 5" x 7" (that's inches, right?) which practically makes it a mini, but you show it over a lounge making it look more like 2 foot by 3 foot!

While we don't have to make it exact and can say "check the size, approxmiate only" if you are a few inches out, making it look 20+inches larger then it is is false advertising. You might want to fix that up.

Again I have to question your postage. Are you SURE your size is right?

A 5" x 7" fresco panel (aren't they lovely to paint on, by the way?) will cost you $1.45 stamp on a $3 envelope in Australia. To send to the US it will cost about $4 in the same padded envelope. It goes letter rate, not parcel rate because it's so small and flat. You are charging WAY too much postage, and that will really annoy people.

Hope that helps.

artbyrenata
01-16-2004, 05:22 AM
Oh wow. Right on all points. Told you all I was a real newbie. I guess I was concentrating on making the painting "visible" over the couch. I didn't know the postage and just listed from a similar painting. I can understand how annoying that might be.

Thanks so much for your advice and help :)

Renata

(Yes the fresco panels ARE fun to do!)

ElizaLeahy
01-16-2004, 05:41 AM
I loved them so much that I bought 5 boxes of the 8 x 10 size! But unfortunately my paintings aren't popular in that size.

I have sold 100 of them though!

When you do paintings that small you might want to put "miniture" in the title. And showing how they look framed alone is better then showing how they look in a room. You might want to say somthing like "Look particularly spectacular when displayed in a group". Encourage people to buy more then one :)

artbyrenata
01-16-2004, 06:09 AM
5 boxes! Sheesh..u must have been busy! Good on you for selling 100 - that is magnificent! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm just on ebay now trying to change my listing - for the past half hour I couldn't even get to the revise page (sigh). I was thinking I would just show the painting framed - (great minds think alike..lol) after wondering whether to make the sofa bigger or the painting so small you couldn't see it. LOL

Thanks again for the advice. It is very nice of you to assist. I REALLY appreciate the help.

Antoine
01-16-2004, 10:56 AM
I think your listing is all and all very good & professional.

Regarding your gallery images. I would just recommend you cropping them to exclude the white borders.

If you look here: http://cgi6.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=art_by_renata&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50 Youíll see the top one almost disappear. I think it best if the painting fills as much of the 96x96 pixel block as possible. I feel the gallery imageís main purpose is just to attract attention and I often donít even show the whole painting in it in order to fill as much space as I could.

Again otherwise, I think your auctions are really impressive.

TPS
01-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Sizing of image uploaded to eBay for Gallery pix:

I found the same problems with getting the image correct. At first I tried making it 96x96 ppi and optimizing it for fast loading before uploading. But, the image looked too small and terribly pixilated. I also tried hosting the image myself, with similar results.

Apparently whatever you send to eBay goes through their own automated sizing and optimizing filters. After several attempts, I finally discovered that sending an image about 372x372 pixels width size, at 90 or higher dpi, and with no compression works best. It fills the space and looks decent. I do first increase contrast, saturation and sharpen the image, then use their uploader. This procedure has resulted in better Gallery pix.