PDA

View Full Version : OP-The Two Faces of Sue-A Self Portrait

Dyin
01-15-2004, 02:12 PM
This was an experimental piece for me that I'm quite pleased with, as I captured my initial visualization of this. This is my second attempt at this piece, my first had gold dust rubbed into the background but it lifted under the ops.
This is 16x20 on velour board, oil pastel for the main subject, oil painted background with glazes, (well kind of...not familiar with oil paint!) This background changes completely in different lighting and the direction you're looking at it. This is a natural daylight shot. In one spot it becomes very 3 dimensional, the head projects out and the mist looks like you could reach into it, at another the highlight areas of the background turn a true burnished brassy gold that a camera won't capture and under flourescent light at night the whole background turns an ugly rust color with NO highlights lol! Also the base is vandyke brown but the initial glaze was a pinkish gray and in the light it changes to this bluish look. I also wanted to play with getting a concept across, but I'm not going to tell you what it was yet, because I really am interested to see what you think before you are biased by my explanation.
So please...any and all comments welcome...love it or hate it...
thanks for looking

SweetBabyJ
01-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Well I'm not going to get into a guessing game over concept- I learned long ago that in all the arts, an interpretation is uniquely subjective no matter what themes and icons are used. But, I will say this is quite a dramatic, fraught piece of work.

Very interesting technique, too- nice when experiments work out so well. Did you know you'd get all those different effects under different lighting conditions? What a unique technique- which has produced a truly unique, very interesting, piece of work.

Dyin
01-15-2004, 02:30 PM
SBJ...thank you...was nervous at what the first reaction would be. I know what you mean about concept, I guess I just want to get what people feel when they see this...if they do feel something. I had absolute NO idea I'd get those effects, it's kind of magical! I just wanted a smokey reddish orange misty look...the gold effect was the biggest surprise, since I tried to get that in my first trashbin attempt...I don't know if it was just an accident or lots of rubbing that I did over the glaze or this is a common effect with oil glazes...
thanks again for your kind comments...very shakey artist ego when it comes to experimental lol! But still want it all...bad or good.

Kathryn Wilson
01-15-2004, 02:54 PM
SBJ...thank you...was nervous at what the first reaction would be. I know what you mean about concept, I guess I just want to get what people feel when they see this...if they do feel something. I had absolute NO idea I'd get those effects, it's kind of magical! I just wanted a smokey reddish orange misty look...the gold effect was the biggest surprise, since I tried to get that in my first trashbin attempt...I don't know if it was just an accident or lots of rubbing that I did over the glaze or this is a common effect with oil glazes...
thanks again for your kind comments...very shakey artist ego when it comes to experimental lol! But still want it all...bad or good.

You know how I feel about this Sue - so I won't re-iterate - but to add my kudos to a fantastic piece of work - :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
01-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Ok...... what ya smoking ??? :evil: ....... lol only teasing..... well this composition is something else...... sitting here for the ride... and watch this puzzle unravel.. but will say .... the part of the skull in the light is pretty awesome :clap:

eileenclaire
01-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Wow, what a cool piece of art!! I love that background, didn't realize you could combine the ops with oil paint. I wish I could see it in person, to see all the background changes from different angles. The skull in this shot looks very three dimensional. What is this a skull of? I like the lighting on this. What a great concept! A very thought provoking, interesting piece of art, outstanding!!!

Dyin
01-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Dawn...well what ever it is, it makes me see pretty colors... :evil: :rolleyes: :p hahhaa...actually I'd quit smoking whatever it was if this was what i saw...snork! Thanks...I had a HECK of a time doing that light effect...when I took the pic of the skull it came out pure washed out...

Kyle...you know I love ya!!!

Dyin
01-15-2004, 04:28 PM
thanks, Eileen...all of you are so supportive...I really wasn't sure of the reaction this would get. Here's the story. First, the skull is Sue, the t-rex...took this pic when it came to a nearby city museum as a traveling exhibition of the largest full unearthed t-rex in the states. As for my part...I have pretty severe fibromyalgia and I go into pretty deep depressions when it gets bad. I took a pic of myself on one of my worst days. I felt that is all I was anymore, trapped in an illness I couldn't escape. So I thought this pose would catch that feeling...and it helped me as I worked on it to see that it wasnt all of me...just a part and now I have it back in perspective.
As to the background...as long as you don't oil paint over the ops..I've never worked with oils before really, and no glazing. It's strange...it dries all shiny and is so different than the ops that until i did the glaze I was really unhappy with it. At first I tried scrubbing in cloud effects with ops over the oils but it LIFTED...so I had to scrape, feather and wait another week for the base to try. I also will never do ops on velour again...I fought this every inch of the way....was sure I'd have to start on a third try, but my muse was with me!

Madder
01-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Love it. Am impressed, will remember this! it's disturbing and beautiful at the same time!!
Madder

MonicaB
01-15-2004, 06:40 PM
it's disturbing and beautiful at the same time!!
Madder

Exactly! I love it.

Dyin
01-15-2004, 07:04 PM
thank you Madder and Monica...I don't know why, I was prepared for not so good reviews...so really...thanks!

eileenclaire
01-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Sue, thanks for sharing the story behind this. I'm glad that the art helped you to express yourself and put things in better perspective for you. And the experience helped you produce this very unique and interesting painting.

Dyin
01-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Sue, thanks for sharing the story behind this. I'm glad that the art helped you to express yourself and put things in better perspective for you. And the experience helped you produce this very unique and interesting painting.

yeah...that last bit applies to finding the best in everything...it's there, even when you have to look hard... ;)

Mo.
01-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Sue!!! You know my feelings for this BRILLIANT PIECE OF ART, I'm so pleased for you in the way it has turned out, I know the effort and skill that has gone into this particular piece of work, how you had doubts about how it would be received, rest assured Sue, it is controversial, a talking point, but I admire, and most others will too, the skill of the artist here, I know how difficult applying glazes on OP's can be, you have pulled this off so brilliantly, the effects you have achieved are more than wonderful, considering the difficulty of the medium. ~~~ Kudos to you Sue, you are a true pioneer in this field!

That skull is like a mixture of gold, bronze and copper, and you look like a queen sat in the middle there.:)

Take a break girl and celebrate, I raise my glass to you!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mo.

Dyin
01-15-2004, 08:43 PM
oh Mo...bless ya...I love your enthusiasm...I don't know about pioneer lol...you're giving me too much credit on that glaze...it looks just awful at night but in the daylight...it's like some angel came and sprinkled fairy dust while I wasn't looking! But I'll take credit for the dinosaur effects... :D
Really, thanks for the rosy cheeks... :o :p

meowmeow
01-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Wow! What a striking, impressive piece of artwork Sue!
Funny, my very first reaction to it was that it was kind of disturbing, but as I looked at it more and more it was just fascinating. There is so much going on in terms of color and texture and subject...it's a super composition.
And of course your technique is fascinating too. I am impressed with your boldness in experimenting. My experimenting is nothing...you did some incredible stuff here and it looks wonderful.
You should be proud of yourself! I am!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sandy

Dyin
01-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Sandy, thanks so much. Don't say that about your experiments...we all inspire each other around here and your forays into the experimental helped me think differently! I'm glad you found more to fascinate than disturb you...it sort of started that way for me too!

MKathleen
01-16-2004, 12:49 AM
:) Hey Sue:
I have to tell ya when I first saw your title I was prepared to see quite a different self portrait than the one you did. :)
I love your work on this and the colors are blended so beautifully. Wow and those teeth are just terrifically rendered. I like the background too.
Will that large critter ever let you out? Sure hope so someday ;)
A most unusual portrait and I think it's very imaginative. Good work!
Kathy

Dyin
01-16-2004, 01:04 AM
Kathy....thanks and I sure hope he lets me out...nasty bad breath you know lol! Hope you're feeling a bit better yourself...and thanks for coming by!

Luvy
01-16-2004, 12:27 PM
It's very interesting and does look 3d *S* Great job. To me it comes across as a southwestern look. Would be a great painting in a house in AZ *S*

Dyin
01-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Someone else just told me that..about it having a southwest feel! I think since Georgia O'Keefe did her bone studies, everyone tends to associate old bones with that area. An ya know...trying AWFUL hard to work things out to move to AZ..it WOULD look good on a wall there lol!!! Thanks, Luvy!

lisilk
01-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Wow, this is by far my favorite of all of your terrific pieces. It's personal, expressive, a little painful ( ? ) Great technique, colors, depth, concept....on and on.

Excellent ! :clap: :clap:

Cheers,

Li

Dyin
01-16-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks so much Li!!! hey...WDE tomorrow!!!

k9artist
01-16-2004, 10:51 PM
This is a very cool painting!! I love skulls (not O'Keefe's) but I think that the best part about it is the emotion put into it! I would love to be able to see the effects of this technique in real life! I never thought of oils on velour??!!!
Dana

Dyin
01-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Well, don't know if I'd recommend it...but oil seems to hold up on all sorts of things and I was sort of punting lol! Thanks for your comments...I think skulls are cool 2...this one was awesome in person!

sundiver
01-16-2004, 11:11 PM
Just the thought of putting o.p.s on velour makes me shudder, like raking your nails on a chalkboard. But you achieved wonders with it. What you were expressing comes across clearly, in feeling if not the details. And it's so 3-dimensional. I have to say a great big WOW for this one!

Dyin
01-16-2004, 11:17 PM
lol...that's an apt description and just how I'll think of it if it ever comes to mind again lol! Thanks! Oh...and thanks for the 3 dimensional remark...I thought I'd never get out of the flat stage and feel like it's one of the best things I've learned here!

Artaholic
01-17-2004, 01:51 AM
Sue, so dramatic. I guess I am dumb but what are the glazes you used?? I tried to read carefully but do not understand the way you did this . Any way :clap: :clap:

Gerry

nougat
01-17-2004, 01:54 AM
This is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!
The colours are fabulous and its sooo 3d!!! It is quite startling.....WELL DONE!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

n

Dyin
01-17-2004, 02:00 AM
Thanks Gerry and Nadine!! Gerry...well, since I didn't know what I was doing, hard to explain...I used oil glazes with W&N glazing medium...at least I started that way. I did a pink gray mixture and put that on like clouds...it was too light alone and the real dark areas in between made it too busy. So about 4-5 hours later I started dry brushing alizaron crimson and a burnt sienna made from the alizaron and vandyke brown...applying some and then rubbing it down with a tshirt material. Then I added some cad yellow to highlight certain areas. And lightly rubbed that too...hope that all makes sense!!!

Heidi Quintana
03-02-2008, 07:54 PM
I just love your work on this piece.