PDA

View Full Version : First scratchboard

kahlanne
01-15-2004, 10:27 AM
I did this scratchboard years ago, '92, and shortly thereafter got discouraged and put away all things artistic. I just recently decided that I need to get back to art and have started with watercolor painting as a complete beginner. Yesterday looking through some of my old supplies, I came across this picture and thought it would be interesting to see what you all thought of it. The flash washed out the corner of it no matter how many times I try to retake it. Again, this is a scratchboard which is thick black paper which I used an exacto knife to scratch through to the white bottom layer. I am sure you all know that but just in case. ;) Please tell me what you like about it or don't like. I want pure honesty so I can learn. Thank you.

joemajury
01-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Please tell me what you like about it or don't like. I want pure honesty so I can learn. Thank you.

kahlanne, for a first attempt at Scratchboards, this has turned out very well.
The only SMALL point I would make, is that you need to work in a few more midtones.
Most of your picture is either white or black, but with cross hatching and other effects you can acheive quite a good variety of tones.
I would love to see more.

Joe
;) ;)

sassybird
01-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Kathleen, I'm glad you brought this over here:)