PDA

View Full Version : Payment For Art From Singapore Question

tonigart
01-15-2004, 08:57 AM
I got a nice short email forwarded to me by "question from seller" (he contacted me from my auction) from Ebay:
"Hi!
I am interested in your beautiful paintings and I would like to know if you would be willing to ship overseas to Singapore. I would, of course, be responsible for all the shipping charges.
Regards"

To me it looks like a legit email however I do want to proceed with caution. I have been reading the threads concerning the scams. My question is, if I get him to pay through paypal am I free and clear to ship the paintings as soon as paypal recieves the funds? What if he wants to pay with some kind of money order? Would I wait a certain amount of time before sending the painting, to make sure the funds clear the bank for sure? Is there anything else I can do to make sure I don't get scammed?

Thanks!
Toni PS: I just checked his Ebay feedback and he has 59 positive recent feedbacks, so I think he is ok.

ale.l
01-15-2004, 09:30 AM
I don't see why this should be a scam? A legitimate question through legitimate means. Why do you assume that it's a scam as soon as it's not from the US :) ?

I've received many such questions from buyers through ebay.. how else ?

Just be yourself and sell... payment is where you should be concerned. The person didn't mention that yet.

Antoine
01-15-2004, 09:40 AM
If it was me Id be very excited!! If he pays with a check / money order just make sure the funds have cleared and to make double sure, you could phone your bank to double check. In my auctions I say 'International payments: Paypal only' since that is the quickest. International cheques could take up to a month to clear.

It might also be good to give him a shipping quote before he bids.

kjsspot
01-15-2004, 10:30 AM
How large is the painting? If the box is over 79" (length+girth), you're gonna hvae to ship via dimentional weight which can get quite expensive. Singapore is a great country for sales though. The cost of living is high there so people are used to paying more for things. My collectors there have never fussed at the high shipping. I take payments in USD through PayPal for my international orders. If you want to accept a money order just make sure they get an International MO, not one drawn on a Singapore Bank. Usually AmEx makes these world wide or their post office.

prtpix
01-15-2004, 10:34 AM
I got the following message yesterday:

HI there,
Do you ship to Singapore? If you do, please tell me how much.
Chris
Is this the same person you got the message from?

TeAnne
01-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Seems they're not mentioning mega $$$$$$$$ up front etc. So they prolly are genuine. :) Good luck

Halo
01-15-2004, 03:20 PM
I hate to be a negative nancy, but I'd proceed with caution. I was approached by the Netherland scammer and luckily found thru others here that it is a scam, in time. Now I'm getting huge orders from my website from Indonesia, and our other business (selling CDs) has been getting the same kinds of orders. We found it is a scam, they are using a stolen credit card, and ask you to rush the order before the card can clear. I'm not saying this is the case here but there seems to be an uprise in scams lately :mad: and I'd question any unusual offers. Especially since prtpix may have gotten the same kind of offer. Please post and let us know what happens though, I do hope this one is legit! It doesn't have some of the red flags others do so here's hopin'! :clap:

kjsspot
01-15-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm getting huge orders from my website from Indonesia, and our other business (selling CDs) has been getting the same kinds of orders. We found it is a scam, they are using a stolen credit card, and ask you to rush the order before the card can clear.

Indonesia is known for being a center for scams. I think it has something to do with their laws or lack thereof. However, Singapore is not known for this. It's known to be a sophisticated city with high levels of consumerism. Sure, it could be a scam, but no more than a US order. I don't see why it's considered unusual. Even if it is the same person, it would raise any flags for me. When I'm shopping, I'll send off questions to several sellers about things that I'm interested. All it means is that he's shopping for art right now.

ElizaLeahy
01-15-2004, 05:49 PM
I've sold 15 paintings to one customer in Singapore.

Paypal is fine. It's exactly the same as any other paypal payment.

They haven't said that they can't use paypal, so I'm not sure what you are worried about.

If anyone ever asks, another good way to receive money from overseas is Western Union Transfers (not Orders).

ElizaLeahy
01-15-2004, 05:51 PM
I hate to be a negative nancy, but I'd proceed with caution. I was approached by the Netherland scammer and luckily found thru others here that it is a scam, in time. Now I'm getting huge orders from my website from Indonesia, and our other business (selling CDs) has been getting the same kinds of orders. We found it is a scam, they are using a stolen credit card, and ask you to rush the order before the card can clear. I'm not saying this is the case here but there seems to be an uprise in scams lately :mad: and I'd question any unusual offers. Especially since prtpix may have gotten the same kind of offer. Please post and let us know what happens though, I do hope this one is legit! It doesn't have some of the red flags others do so here's hopin'! :clap:

Anyone who sends an item before the payment is clear is an idiot. So, don't do that and you will be fine.

Don't blame a whole country because someone in it is a crook. What, you have no crooks in America? Get real

Sorry - but American insularism makes me cranky.

prtpix
01-15-2004, 05:51 PM
I checked to see what else the guy that sent me the message has been bidding on.
He has I think 33 positive feedbacks, No negatives and in the last month has bid on 4 other paintings. He has not won any other paintings but, I checked to see what his top bids were on those paintings he bid on and they are not scimpy bids. If he is a serious buyer, I would be please to have him bid on one of my paintings.

tonigart
01-15-2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the imput everyone! prtix, no this is not the same guy. I went ahead and emailed him that I would ship to Singapore, I also told him I would prefer payment via paypal and large paintings may have to be sent unstretched, so we'll see if he goes ahead and buy some artwork.

I have sent paintings overseas before and everything went fine. I hope you all didn't get the impression that I think any overseas inquiry equals a scam. I think it is smart to look a little harder at overseas buyers, but that doesn't mean I think that all oversea buyers are scammers. There are a heck of a lot of nice wonderful people out there in this big world, that is one great thing I have learned from Ebay!

Yes, size is a very important point. I had several paintings ship to Malaysia (if I remember right) and after I spent A LOT of time packaging everything so it would get there safely, I took it to the PO and found it was a few inches over. I went ahead and shipped it and it made it ok, but it sure opened my eyes!

Thanks again everyone!
Toni