PDA

View Full Version : OT Funny Story About How I Learn Computers.

prtpix
01-14-2004, 11:07 PM
OKey Dokey,
Let me start by saying that computers always fastinated me.
I did not really have access to one until around 1994 when my husband bought an old Apple IIc at an auction for $20.00.
When I saw him bring that thing home I was so excited.
I thought he would help me hook it up and get it running.
He said he did not know anything about them and could not help me set it up.
So, I studied the book that came along with it and got the thing up and running. Got it all hooked up and the software loaded.
Now, You have to remember that this was just me by myself learning how to use a computer.
So, Setting up everything was really good. I used it for months to make advertising flyers for my artwork and shows I was doing locally.
Then I guess it was maybe 4 months after I had gotten really comfortable with the Apple IIc a neighbor of mine was over to celebrate my one sons birthdays with us. While he was here. I showed him my ancheint Apple IIc.
He said to me, You really got everything down pretty well Mariann.
But, I need to ask you why you use the mouse backwards like that?
Now, Take your mouse and turn it around so that the cord/tail comes out towards you and by your wrist. This is how I had been using the mouse for I would say at least 4 months. If you try this, you will notice that if you move the mouse left, the cursor goes right, if you move the mouse right, the cursor goes left and if you move the mouse up, the cursor goes down and visa versa.
So, for the first 4 months of using my first computer I taught myself how to use the computer the way I thought it was suppose to be used. But, I was wrong. That mouse tail is suppose to go away from you and towards the computer and then when you move the mouse the cursor moves in the same direction as you move the mouse.
LOL Nobody told me this. I didn't ask, Because I didn't see anything wrong with it.
Of course as soon as I found out I was doing it backwords I made up my mind that I was going to retrain (And when I say retrain, I mean retrain my self to use the mouse the correct way.
It was weard and not so easy to train myself to do it right. I was just so use to using it the wrong way. LOL

Everytime I think of this story I laugh like crazy at how silly it was of me to use the mouse backwards are for so long. Like Duh, 4 Real

Now I use a tractball the proper way. I love my tract ball.

Anyway, Funny Story, Huh? LOL

prtpix
01-14-2004, 11:09 PM
Oh, I do want to mention that it did not take me long at all to get up on the modern computers. I got an internet computer first thing in 1996 and I've been online here ever since.

Antoine
01-15-2004, 08:43 AM
I need to ask you why you use the mouse backwards like that?
Now, Take your mouse and turn it around so that the cord/tail comes out towards you and by your wrist. This is how I had been using the mouse for I would say at least 4 months. If you try this, you will notice that if you move the mouse left, the cursor goes right, if you move the mouse right, the cursor goes left and if you move the mouse up, the cursor goes down and visa versa.
So, for the first 4 months of using my first computer I taught myself how to use the computer the way I thought it was suppose to be used. But, I was wrong.

This is a brilliant story LOL!! The important thing is you did with it what you wanted to… how is secondary.

Thanks for my first laugh of the day! Excellent! LOL :clap:

prtpix
01-15-2004, 10:30 AM
The funny thing is the reason I did it wrong to begin with.
I assumed that since the tail was suppose to come out the back. The mouses head would have to be facing the computer in order to work properly.

I feel like such a TOTAL AIRHEAD for not knowing any better.
But, I don't mind sharing my funny story with anyone who will listen.
There were not pictures of the mouse in the computer manual. So, I learned to do it the way I thought it should be done.
GIGGLE GIGGLE. I'll be giggling about this forever.

ale.l
01-15-2004, 12:54 PM
:)
My day's work is finished now and I feel exhausted and wasted.
But now that I've read your story you lifted my spirits :)))))) You gave me my laugh of the day. Thank you.

I tried the mouse your way heheheheh and it does go in opposite directions :)

I'm sure we all have our stories .... Thanks for sharing..
Off home smiling now.

:)

CathyD
01-15-2004, 01:47 PM
I tried that way too just now.... That's HARD! Mariann, did it take you longer to learn to use it the right way or the wrong way???

Just think, you have a talent most people never thought of pursuing! Funny story, thanks.
Cathy

meriadoc
01-15-2004, 02:53 PM
funny mouse related story at college

since i was doing a design course, we primarily used the new mac computers, you know, the ones with some USB ports on the keyboard to plug the mouse into? well, a friend of mine had a wireless mouse, so we moved the reciever from her laptop, and put it on one of the other macs (since they also had usb ports on the back also).

well... imagine the problems this poor person was having when we would move the mouse ;)

no damage - just freaked her out, since we would move the mouse at the same time as she did - or if she wasn't moving the mouse, we would move it ;)

granted - you could plug two mouse (mice?) into the keyboard and use two mice - if thats yer kinda thing ;)