PDA

View Full Version : I'm back

sandge
01-14-2004, 09:29 PM
First week of auctions since I moved over 8 months ago. I'd almost forgotten what to do and there are certainly some new things that have come in that I'm not familiar with.

I've been reading that things have slowed down on ebay in recent months. For that reason I decided not to FP or anything like that as I can't afford to - that's why I'm ebaying! LOL :D

Listed at the price I was listing before - but perhaps that is considered to high for the current climate?

I thought about whether to list on the .com or .co.uk site. Went for .com to hopefully get a wider audience but I do notice the exchange rate is not as good as it was before. So, assuming I sell something, I will not get as much for it anyway.

Any comments on the auctions, or tips on best use of new features, appreciated. Link should be in signature.

cheers :)
s

flax99
01-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Sandge, your auction listings look beautiful! I'm really impressed. Besides having several lovely pieces up simultaneously (always a good idea), and all the art in a similar style (so people will get to know you for your "thing"), I like the clean white background, the logo, the layout, everything. You have very good explanations, everything's quite clear and easy to understand. The starting bid is very reasonable, and the shipping is cheap and easy to understand.

Only one nitpick: I'd eliminate the "15 minutes" part of your description, it makes it sound a little like you can bang these things out in 15 minutes flat, like some kind of art factory. Not the best image to promote. Just say it's from a live model at such-n-such prestigious-sounding place and leave it at that.

Other than that, I think you've got a fantastic auction layout, and I'm busily taking notes!

Best of luck with your auctions!

flax99

Sumafra
01-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Hi Sandra, welcome back. Nice to hear from you again. Yes, Ebay is perpetually slow it seems, there is so much more competition. The number of paintings listed at any one time is about 3 times as much as it used to be when I started selling. I myself only listed during October and November this past fall and I'm again taking a break. Concentrating on building up some more serious work (I hope anyway). Anyway, good luck, your auctions look great.

kjsspot
01-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Listed at the price I was listing before - but perhaps that is considered to high for the current climate?

Nope. The price looks great to me! As do your listings and auction format. I've always loved your auction format. Only suggestion I would make is to list one or two a day instead of all on the same day. That way you'll always have something new and something closing.

surreal
01-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Hi Sandra,
Your paintings look terrific!

I was wondering whether bidders search for the word "signed" in their searches.

I also was thinking about whether or not you would consider using "Fletcher" instead of "FletcherFineArt" so that you have more room for keywords in the extremely important title line. Alot of buyers search the term "Original Art."

Have you considered signing up for the free trial version of
www.sellathon.com, so that you may acquire stats on each painting you list and learn the search terms people are using to find your work?

Best of luck to you!

As I recall, your former ebay selling experiences were quite profitable.

:)

TeAnne
01-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Congrats Sandra on a great looking auction display. I hope you get lots of bids :clap: :clap:

matmad
01-15-2004, 05:03 AM
These are lovely, I noticed them when I was browsing the UK site. I'm sure they will sell well, there are a lot of customers looking out for good quality nudes on ebay.
I agree about not mentioning the 15 minutes though.

Julie

madmum
01-15-2004, 05:35 AM
I thought about whether to list on the .com or .co.uk site. Went for .com to hopefully get a wider audience but I do notice the exchange rate is not as good as it was before. So, assuming I sell something, I will not get as much for it anyway.

Something I'm struggling with, too :( At $20, that's only about 11, less ebay fees and paypal fees, you end up with about 9! I'd start them at $30, I think, it's still cheap enough to leave room for a bidding war to start, but you get a more sensible price if you only get one bid. Your work is beautiful, don't price yourself too low (and yes, take the 15 minutes off!)

I start all my quarter sheets at $49.95 now (just 27 :( ), and last night it paid dividends with a mini bidding war taking one to $64.

Best of luck, Sandra, I know these will do well again!

Ruth

jolie
01-15-2004, 07:46 AM
Hello,

Welcome back to eBay. I was wondering where you had gone. Your auctions look great and I agree that your prices are not too high. If anything, you could even start $10 higher, as Ruth suggested.

As I do nudes as well, I have been watching the trends for months on the UK site. I only think to check occassionally on the USA site. I have noticed that nearly all nudes, as long as they are reasonably well done and have a reasonable start price will sell and have continued to do so during the slow time. I definately noticed a slow-down in December, but before that I was selling nearly everything I listed. Sales seem to gradually be climbing since the new year began, but are still not at the level they were in the fall.

I have decided to list primarily on the UK site for a few reasons. First, because I have been doing well there and people from other countries still seem to find me. Also, certain fees are higher on the US site...an FP there is $19.95, which is currently about 11 GBP, so it works out about a pound more expensive for each one and doesn't seem to give a huge advantage. Ebay's info about FP in the US says " How Featured Plus! works in Search: Search results can be organized by the listing end date, price, or other options that the viewer can choose. There are 50 results per page. Your Featured Plus! item will appear at the top of the page it naturally falls on in the search results list." Unless I'm misunderstanding this, my auction could still fall somewhere in the middle of 250,000 plus auctions, so my auction could still only be at the top of page 383...whoopie! On the UK site, when you pay extra, you actually GET extra value as your auction appears before anyone who only paid the regular fees. That usually puts you in the first 8 to 10 pages as soon as you list and of course you get closer and closer to page 1 each day.

There are currently nearly 263,000 art listings on the US site, compared to 32,000 on the UK site. The competition is absolutely fierce there! There was a free listing day in the UK last week, so listings are much higher than usual. Normally, you would find somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 art listings. I like those odds much better. I think it would be a lot easier to find me out of 12,000 listings, rather than 263,000, especially when you can break it down even further by listing in an appropriate sub-category.

I list mostly large pieces on canvas which are more expensive to ship to the USA, so people aren't as likely to buy mine. You have an advantage in that you can ship your work to the USA for a very reasonable price.

Having said all that, I think there is value to listing on BOTH sites. There are a few sellers from Germany who list on both the Germany and UK sites. I imagine they do that so that they can be sure buyers outside of Germany find them, but still have the advantages of their home eBAy. It seems to be working quite well for them and I think it could work well for us too. I have a few pieces on paper that I plan to list and am starting to do some large, unmounted canvas pieces. I'd love to hear how you do on the US site, as it could also affect the decisions I make about listing there more often.

Jolie

sandge
01-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Thanks for your feedback everyone! I really appreciate it! :D

Interesting point about the 15 minutes. The length of pose is something that life-drawers tend to be obssessed with! I guess what I wanted to indicate was that the paintings had to be executed very quickly and spontaneously because the poses were quite short. Also, with that length pose there is no time to build up layers of colour - the painting has to be done in 'one-wet'. I will have to have a think about how to express that in a better way. :)

Surreal- thanks for the sellathon link, I will check that out. And regarding "signed" - the .co.uk site have that as one of the top search terms in the art category (along with watercolour, painting and new)

Thanks also for all your thoughts on pricing. I was a bit worried prices might have dropped since last year. I think I will stick with these prices for now and hope to draw in the bidders. :)

Thanks again! :D

jocelynsart
01-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Hi Sandra: Good to see you back! I love your spontanious life drawing poses in watercolour! They work well as thumbnails too I noticed.
I think your prices are fine too. I guess you'd have to adjust them when listing, so that you will be getting what you want in Sterling. The US dollar is worth less than the Pound on the market.
I did not realize that when searching the Cats. that other eBay listings, like Uk, Au., etc. don't come up. I can see why people in the UK list on ebay.com then. I swear I have seen GBP's come up in the listings when starting my search on ebay.com? It just shows the conversion to the dollar, that the site one is searching from is in, under the GBP price I thought.
ie: 24 Stlg.
Approx: $40 US (not accurate, just grabbed a figure for ie:.)
I am sure they still come up in the listings.
If not though, I can see where the Exposure factor could come in. Also, maybe people just don't want to bother unless they see it is in US?
I'd use the Sellathon free trial. You will find out what is bringing viewers to your auctions. You can then stop guessing and really make use of that knowledge to do your titles, descriptions, when to list and end, what days are dead, when is busy, what words people Block when searching, what words people are using that find you, etc. Well worth it to learn how to better market your auctions.
I personally, in your case, would not use FP. Nudes get well searched anyway. Also, 80% search Ending Today or Going Going Gone so FP becomes kind of useless in that case anyway. Also, if you haev an expensive item or an unusual item up, then I feel it is worth it. I use it for my Work in Progress auctions. It then covers the board with new people possibly discovering me that way and checking back later on for future offerings, plus, brings viewers to my other auctions. Alot of people View User's Other Items I found.
I wish you all the best!
Joss

surreal
01-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Hi Sandra,

Have you sent a mass mailing to all of your former buyers to tell them that you are back on ebay selling your work?

sandge
01-15-2004, 08:25 PM
I think your prices are fine too. I guess you'd have to adjust them when listing, so that you will be getting what you want in Sterling. The US dollar is worth less than the Pound on the market.
I did not realize that when searching the Cats. that other eBay listings, like Uk, Au., etc. don't come up. I can see why people in the UK list on ebay.com then. I swear I have seen GBP's come up in the listings when starting my search on ebay.com? It just shows the conversion to the dollar, that the site one is searching from is in, under the GBP price I thought.
ie: 24 Stlg.
Approx: $40 US (not accurate, just grabbed a figure for ie:.)
I am sure they still come up in the listings.
If not though, I can see where the Exposure factor could come in. Also, maybe people just don't want to bother unless they see it is in US?

Thanks for your feedback, Joss. You're correct that auctions in other currencies do appear. I think the advantage of listing in dollars is to appeal to an international market.

When I was ebaying before I always listed in dollars. I would say that about half my previous sales were to folks in the UK and the other half to folks in the US with some, but not many, sales to other countries. My instinct tells me that dollars are better for international sales. But it is not something I've experimented with or put to the test. If I list in sterling, would that reduce my chances of selling to the US?

sandge
01-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi Sandra,

Have you sent a mass mailing to all of your former buyers to tell them that you are back on ebay selling your work?

Not yet. I should do, shouldn't I? Guess I wanted to actually get some listings going and feel confident about that first. :)

arteitaliana
01-15-2004, 08:54 PM
You should email to all your customers, Sandra. The way things are at the moment and with no FP listings, you visibility is quite low. It would be shame not to seel your beautiful watercolors because of that.

Rita

surreal
01-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Congrats to you, Sandra!
You have gotten off to an excellent start!
:clap:

jocelynsart
01-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Sandra, How did you do before with your watercolours?
Joss

sandge
01-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Congrats to you, Sandra!
You have gotten off to an excellent start!
:clap:
Yes, well ... let's not speak to soon. The bidder has already contacted me wanting to know what kind of 'deal' I can offer ... :rolleyes:

sandge
01-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Sandra, How did you do before with your watercolours?
Joss
I sold practically everything. Some had to be listed two or three times but eventually they went. And I often had multiple bidders.

Here's something I wrote a year ago about how I was doing:
An essay on my ebay experience to date (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84667)

matmad
01-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Hi Sandra,

Congratulations on a great start back. Your watercolour nudes are very beautiful and masterfully done.

I've just started trying nudes in watercolour myself, and it's a totally different ball-game to my usual pastels. Haven't really got a clue what I'm doing, but I'm determined to get the hang of it! Your buyer has put a bid on one of mine too, so that gives me some encouragement.

I read your article - very interesting to see how other people get on with ebay.

Julie

sandge
01-18-2004, 03:55 PM
Your buyer has put a bid on one of mine too, so that gives me some encouragement.

Hi Julie, yes I noticed that when I was checking him out. I almost contacted you to see if he had asked you to do a 'deal' too! :)
I've just started trying nudes in watercolour myself, and it's a totally different ball-game to my usual pastels. Haven't really got a clue what I'm doing, but I'm determined to get the hang of it!
I love you pastels! They're really inspiring. Pastels is my main medium. I only got into watercolours because I wanted to do ebay and couldn't figure out a safe way to ship pastels. Whatever small skill I've developed in watercolour is all thanks to ebay! :)

breslinc
01-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Welcome back, your auctions look great!

:clap: :clap:

matmad
01-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi Julie, yes I noticed that when I was checking him out. I almost contacted you to see if he had asked you to do a 'deal' too! :

No, but he's only bid on one, so I imagine that's why.

My pastels are great for ebay, as I can do them within a couple of hours - watercolours and acrylics take about three (still new to them). I think I'm finding my way with the acrylics, but the watercolours feel less natural to me - although with each one I'm getting closer to finding my own way with them (if you know what I mean). I've not had any problems shipping the pastels, but I do fix them first, and then post them flat - carefully packed.

Julie

arteitaliana
01-18-2004, 10:19 PM
I hope you did not give him any "deals". Sandra, you don't need too.
You already have other bidders and you work deserves (and will get) a lot more than what he is bidding at the moment.
People like him irritates me...arghhhhhh!

PS: I suggest you FP one of your watercolors, you'll get more hits on all your listings and better prices. Also get a Sellathon counter.

R

jocelynsart
01-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks for your link Sandra. I would think your life studies would do well. They would look amazing framed and hung on a wall. People that love little original artistic life drawings would love them.
Totally agree. Aren't most of us offering quite a good deal on our work via eBay already?
I hope you got your Sellthon problem fixed.
Joss