PDA

View Full Version : warrior pen n ink series

wnabors
08-06-2001, 01:50 AM
neet...an inkers forum!

artdude
08-06-2001, 07:43 AM
Hello wnabors :) WOW I really enjoyed viewing the ink pieces you have displayed in this forum. Your ink work is very unique!! Can you describe the process for your art? I am asking because it looks like embed an ink drawing on to, or over, some type of cloth material?

Wyobud
08-08-2001, 10:42 PM
wnabors....................I checked these out several times in your earlier postings. They are so good and so expressive I didn't know how to comment. Do you start from a reference? How do you present them for show, under glass or surface mount?

Tried to check your web site but didn't want to join.

Bud

Sandi
08-16-2001, 12:47 PM
I echo the above comments. Fantastic works!!
I hope you share more with us.

wnabors
08-18-2001, 09:48 PM
the project was originally an assignment for a college art class.
I did the prelim pencil sketches on D'Arches watercolor paper..
and turned them in. The instructor challenged me to go further..break up the images by breaking down the barrier between subject and background...(I was mighty pissed..) Sooo
I got out the scissors and cut them up..(scared to death..). They a collaged with strips of brown paper bag,and mounted on spare pieces of canvas.What inspired me were ancient pictograph records done by Sioux warriors on scraped,stretched cowhide and suspended within a sapling loop. I worked from perhaps what is the the definitive photographic collection of Edward S.Curtis. (here's a great link): http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/curt:@field([email protected](Dakota+Indians))

my family are Cherokee and black..memories my grandmother combing her hair..it was longer than she was tall..have never left me..

(by the way..I got a "C" for my efforts..so much for Indians in Texas schools...)

pat turcotte
08-19-2001, 11:17 AM
I like your piece. It has a unique look. The history of the piece is interesitng as well.
Pat

Arcanjo
10-22-2002, 07:13 PM
:) Hi again!!!!
I am amazed!

TeAnne
10-22-2002, 09:07 PM
WOW. :clap:

seejay
10-22-2002, 10:22 PM
These collages/pictures/works of art are quite unusual, and very nice/interesting to look at!

A lot of feeling/emotion in the faces - powerful images indeed.

Thanks for posting!

:clap:

Striver
10-23-2002, 01:12 AM
Whatever the grade, the talent comes out. Well done its great.
Les

sassybird
10-23-2002, 02:13 AM
These are very good, and this image is powerful. I understand the challenge that art profs throw out. I have been po'd by several, but it made me grow and become more confident in my work. I would love for you to cross post these in the mixed/alternative medium forum also. Your work is innovative, and you will find many like minded people in that forum. Of course Pen & Ink folks love to see how other artists stretch the medium also :)

els
10-23-2002, 08:38 AM
Excellent...

Jakeally
10-23-2002, 11:07 AM
This is just superb....sooooo powerful and such an interesting technique....thanks for explaining:D

wnabors
10-31-2002, 11:10 AM
Hello sorry to be so long in replying ...this is a collage of cloth, torn/wrinkled brown paper bag and the drawing itself. The drawing was actually cut from it's original background and pasted
together to give the work actual depth in stead of implied or feigned depth. The original photos are from the book:
"The North American Indian by Edward S. Curtis". Native American faces have fascinated me since childhood. My grandmother was pure cherokee..she never had a single wrinkle until she hit seventy..then her face seemed to decide to show it's entire history at once...The book is well worth viewing!

surreal
11-02-2002, 02:52 PM
Very marvellous.
What a visual treat.
:D

moo67
11-30-2002, 01:34 AM
Marvellous you can feel his spirit coming off the paper.
Moo:clap:

captan
11-30-2002, 08:56 AM
WOW!!!

I like it - I like it a lot!

dolors
12-01-2002, 02:35 AM
Your drawing is fantastic W.Nabors, can't wait to see more.