PDA

View Full Version : Argh - pulling my hair out over my gallery images!

kiwicockatoo
01-13-2004, 01:05 PM
I can't figure out how to do good gallery pictures! I used to - and even now I see people with crisp clear gallery pictures (even after ebay's shrunk them down). I save them at 96 pixels, and have tried 72 and 200 dpi, but when ebay shrinks them they look crappy. I didn't used to have this problem, my gallery pictures use to look great - I can't remember how I did them! I wish ebay would give us more control over this - I'd gladly upload two pictures, one for the regular thumbnails and one for the larger gallery view thumbnails.

Get this - my server ran out of space last week just when I was uploading my thumbnails. I didn't realize one had only loaded halfway until the auction was posted. I corrected it, and it too FIVE DAYS for revision to show up on ebay. So I had a REALLY crappy gallery pic on that one for most of the auction. Boy, ebay is sllllooooowww sometimes. I know it's only a quarter, but still! :mad:

Cathy Morgan
01-13-2004, 11:00 PM
If you're storing the photos on a different server, why would ebay shrink down the gallery pictures? Are you resizing or cropping them yourself to the right size and then just telling ebay the link? If not, then that could be the problem.

If you make the gallery photo the right size, and it looks good to you on your monitor, then it should look good on ebay. By "right size" I don't mean resolution like 96dpi, I mean the dimensions. I make mine 95 pixels in the widest dimension.

If you're doing that, and they still don't look good on ebay, I don't know what it could be. Maybe someone else will have an idea. Sorry this has been so frustrating for you. I can imagine!

Antoine
01-14-2004, 07:49 AM
Boy, ebay is sllllooooowww sometimes.
You could say that again. I've had the same problems with changing gallery pics.

I do mine as close to 96x96 pixels as I can, sharpen them and sometimes increases the contrast before saving them... then I keep all my fingers & toes crossed that ebay doesn't mess them up while loading it onto their server.

kiwicockatoo
01-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Cathy, unless you are viewing with "gallery view" option on, ebay shrinks them down to smaller thumbnails. My pics look fine in gallery view, but not when shrunken down into the smaller thumbnails. But some people's smaller thumbs look good - I can't figure out why. here's an example:http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ht=1&query=moussart after the page loads click on gallery view under display and you will see what I am talking about.

prtpix
01-14-2004, 12:21 PM
I know you think that the image is going to be 96 X 96 pixels.
But, It's not going to be when viewed on E-Bay.
If you go to any category and right click on any gallery image, and then choose Properties from the menu.
You will see that the gallery image is shrunk down to 64 X 64 pixels.
I make all of my gallery images 64 X 64 before I upload them to my server. This way I can see how they are going to look.
And not only that. I always apply the sharpening tool in a few small steps and when I get it to where I really like it. I take away one step because the stupid Ebay thingy always does a little more sharpening for you. For what reason, I don't know. Just makes things more difficult for us.
I hope this helps.

Cathy Morgan
01-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks! That explains a lot! I don't know how I got the idea that the gallery photos were 96x96 pixels instead of 64x64. Did they change at some point?

Also I didn't realize that ebay did some sharpening. That's very useful info too.

Antoine
01-14-2004, 02:00 PM
The gallery images are only 64x64, but in gallery view the images are 96x96 and ebay uses the same image in both cases. For that reason I think it best to keep it 96x96… then again I might be wrong... :rolleyes:

Cathy Morgan
01-14-2004, 02:11 PM
The gallery images are only 64x64, but in gallery view the images are 96x96 and ebay uses the same image in both cases. For that reason I think it best to keep it 96x96… then again I might be wrong... :rolleyes:

Now I'm confused. The gallery images are the ones listed to the left of the item in listings, if you pay for this. What's "gallery view?" Thanks!

prtpix
01-14-2004, 02:15 PM
You are right Antoine.
The images should be 96. That way they can be viewed in both gallery view and regular.
I think I will still keep doing it the same way I have. It is most important to me to have them look the best I can make them look at the 64 X 64 pixels.

Antoine
01-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Cathy, the images listed to the left of the item in listings as you would see when you do a search is 64x64. (as in the link kiwicockatoo gave us: http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...&query=moussart) - this is viewing gallery images, but in normal view.

But then there is also a “gallery view”. If you go to that page and on the left under ‘Display’ you press the 3rd option: ‘gallery view’. It brings you to this page: http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?ht=1&satitle=moussart&socolumnlayout=4&sosortproperty=1 - here the same images are slightly bigger (96x96) -hope I’m making sense.

Mariann, I think you are right that it is more important that the images looks good in normal view. I don’t think there are so many people using gallery view, but almost everyone find listings in normal view.