PDA

View Full Version : Is it pretentious?

ale.l
01-13-2004, 04:15 AM
I'm pretty new on ebay but something worth considering.

When I shop on ebay I like to see a person's FB and also the recent transactions - am I curious or what, but I like to see what the prices were that the persons sold/bought paintings at in order to adjust my opinion as to whether that person's work is worth more or less. This may reflect my lack of knowledge of the particular merchandise but it's helpful to know whether you are being taken for a ride or this person really sells at those prices.

Now, if we made it easy for our buyers to see some of our best auctions would it help nudge them into more bidding? I am thinking of a bannerlike jpg with small images of sold work with prices. I saw that on ebay I think, but not many artists use this.

Why not?

Do people watch ABOUT ME pages.. one could set it up there too I guess.

Not everyone has time to go to about me pages, and then dig out personal links and browse artists' sites.. I was thinking of bringing to them this info on the auction page. What do you think? Is it too imposing...

Lady Rando
01-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Consider this.......... that stategy may backfire. Customers see the price range your other auctions ended in and won't bid any higher. I think each work sells on it's own merit and, unless all of my work is getting top dollars, I don't want to influence bidders to stop bidding because it's reached the price of other work.

prtpix
01-13-2004, 11:06 AM
Girelli has a huge gallery wall right on her auctions with a big selection of paintings she has sold and the prices right there to see.
It seems to be working for her.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3653825062&category=20135

With the way I am doing right now, I would be a little embarrassed to have a gallery wall with prices like this. With my paintings selling for $29.00 and $70.00 tops right now.
Hmmmmmmmmm. I don't know if it would make me look good or not.

I do have a link on my auctions that takes viewers to a studio page similar to Girellis that just takes them back to current E-Bay auctions. And on the bottom of that studio page I have two gallery walls of works that I have sold. I don't have the prices there though. Some have sold at good prices some have not. So, I am afraid to put the prices on the sold wall.
If your doing well, I can't see where it would harm you to show off your success.

Salairawns
01-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Not pretentious.
But consider the artist who's trying to raise their prices and their image. If they previously sold work for five and ten dollars and then start selling at fifty or more, are you being 'taken for a ride', or did the artist finally realize the value of their work and raise their prices accordingly (after learning that a lot of art on ebay never gets bid up to its value)?

If the art is selling well and you're proud of the prices, then go ahead and say you got those prices.
If you're trying to correct an image problem and raise your prices, or aren't proud of the previous prices, don't advertise it, unless you can show it as a pattern of rising value for the art.

Celena

ale.l
01-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Yeah it has its pros and cons. I was thinking of showing off the best prices, those that are over the usual starting price. I had a look (again) at Girelli's site - that woman is awesome :)

She has something to brag about.. I don't yet.. was just thining loud for the future. It struck me that other well-sold artists don't usually do that and I am loath to do it after only a couple of paintings sold :)

January is going well for me: I sold three out of four paintings I put on on the same day. Have two more going.

Bidders are smart these days: one painting sold in the last minute, I even didn't notice.. If ebay didn't send me an email I would have settled for a non-sell.

Ok, let's keep it this way for a while.. will stay tuned for new ideas :)
Thanks for you help everyone.. many people helped me sort myself out for ebay.

Antoine
01-15-2004, 11:04 AM
I would also do it, but first I need to get some good prices to show off. I think if you are doing really well, itís good to show it Ö but first lets go and get some record sales! :D