PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about changing canvas size, need advice fromt the pros :)

JaiShi
01-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Hi Everyone,
I typically paint on 16" x 20" canvases sheets and I'm thinking about switching to a smaller size like 11" x 14" or 9" x 12" (and using gallery wrapped canvas instead of sheets). Are eBayers interested in smaller sizes? Do larger size paintings typically do better than the smaller one? Any advice/comments offered would truly be appreciated.

Thanks
:)

ElizaLeahy
01-13-2004, 02:52 AM
Hi Everyone,
I typically paint on 16" x 20" canvases sheets and I'm thinking about switching to a smaller size like 11" x 14" or 9" x 12" (and using gallery wrapped canvas instead of sheets). Are eBayers interested in smaller sizes? Do larger size paintings typically do better than the smaller one? Any advice/comments offered would truly be appreciated.

Thanks
:)

I tried smaller most of last year and I dropped with a bang.

This year I have gone up in size greatly (up to 4 x 2 foot which I send rolled) and my sales have shoot through the roof.

I think that "large" is a better search term then "huge" and I wouldn't use huge on a 16 x 20 - keep it for the REALLY HUGE paintings. Put your size in your subtitle if you are going to use a subtitle, but only if it's large.

People also seem to like square. Whenever I do a square painting it always goes up more then I thought it would.

I think that as we are competing more and more with all the other artists on ebay, size is maybe one way to stand out.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

jolie
01-13-2004, 05:26 AM
I agree with Eliza. The best sellers seem to paint big. People prefer gallery wrapped canvas, but they are willing to purchase unmounted if it's a huge piece. As a matter of fact, I just started my first one yesterday...taped a huge piece of canvas to the table. It will be 50 x 24" when it's done. If you are thinking of going smaller, you might think of doing multiple canvases that make up one painting. Triptychs and other multiples are popular on eBay (or at least on eBay UK) right now, mostly because they are easier to ship, but people can still have the effect of a large piece. Your other option is to go VERY small and do miniatures.

Jolie

JaiShi
01-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Thank you Ladies,
I was thinking of painting in a smaller size because it would make shipping a whole lot easier. When I was painting on stretched canvases, I had to tape two UPS boxes together to get the right size box for the painting. A friend of mind suggested using canvas sheet which I started doing. I then send the painting rolled in a shipping tube. I'd rather have my customers receive the paintings flat than rolled, so it looks like I'm going back to the two box method.

CoolArtiste
01-13-2004, 01:49 PM
What do they do with the "huge" canvas? Do they stretch it or just frame it or what? I heard some people like to hide big TV's with paintings.

imaginethat
01-13-2004, 02:12 PM
I took the advice of another member here (sorry - can't remember who it was!) and went to www.custommadeboxes.com and ordered flat fold boxes large enough to hold up to three 18x24 canvases. I ordered 50 which came to about $2/box after shipping ( I believe they were $1.71 each and shipping via UPS was $28). I am able to ship for around $15 (which covers the cost of the box and packaging) coast to coast within the US in these boxes...and they are very nice. Worth having a nice box IMO - I used to tape the Priority Mailers and they just never looked very nice. Image is important - especially for repeat buyers!

ElizaLeahy
01-13-2004, 06:22 PM
I bought a roll of corrigated cardboard and I wrap the paintings in that. The roll was HUGE and cost me $45. The worst part was trying to get it up the stairs. The second worse part is that it's running out, so we are going to have to get another roll of it up the stairs!

I have lots of repeat customers. Some I can't work out where they put all the paintings - 15 to one gentleman in Singapore (and he can't be an agent, because some were portraits of his wife and daughter). So I figure they are happy with my wrapping.

I'd love to use boxes that fit perfectly. How kewl would that be! But my sizes vary too much. Our postal services also don't offer free boxes, darn it!

JaiShi
01-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks ImagineThat, I'm going to place an order. Only problem now is figuring out where to put them (I got a teeny weeny apt, lol).

Eliza, I can visualize you lugging the roll up the stairs, lol.