PDA

View Full Version : Getting image on eBay

L C Church
01-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the group,I've been around for awhile reading everything. You guys have put the fire under me and am getting ready to make the jump to do ebay. I know the image of my artwork needs to be the best I can do. My funds are very limited. I was going to buy one of the throw away digital cameras to make my pictures, or should I wait until I can buy a cheap scanner??? I kinda have a problem with the throw away camera doesn't sound like a good product ecology wise, but I need to get started cheaply. :clap:

sandge
01-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the group,I've been around for awhile reading everything. You guys have put the fire under me and am getting ready to make the jump to do ebay. I know the image of my artwork needs to be the best I can do. My funds are very limited. I was going to buy one of the throw away digital cameras to make my pictures, or should I wait until I can buy a cheap scanner??? I kinda have a problem with the throw away camera doesn't sound like a good product ecology wise, but I need to get started cheaply. :clap:
I would get started however you can. Then, when you make some money, you can invest in better equipment. :)

Personally, I prefer to scan because I think it gives me better results. My work is quite small, so it fits on a scanner.

nanabanana
01-13-2004, 01:30 AM
to: L C Church

I'd buy a cheap scanner if the only other option was a cheap digicam because even a low end scanner can give you scans with quality on par with pics from a regular 35mm film camera. BUT the cheapo digicam will give you washed out, fuzzy, off colored pics if your lucky or semi recognizable blobs. I've tried the cheap digi cam already .. bad exp. Don't worry .. I've been using my scanner for all my auctions. good ole scanner is best for money.

If you're painting larger pieces bigger than 9x12 then you'd have to invest in digicam, get the most expensive one you can afford vs. going cheap .. it's an investment. You want to show your art in it's best light :)

Before you buy digicam check out some user reviews at www.cnet.com
www.zdnet.com, even www.epinions.com just to see what other people are saying :)

AND I recommend www.pricegrabber.com to get the best prices :)

My "auction" equiptment: canon n670u $75 used 95% of time and canon A70 cost $300 used only 5% of time

tonigart
01-13-2004, 09:05 AM
I know you are short of funds, but have you thought of cleaning out closets, going to garage sales and thrift stores to re-sell other items on Ebay first? This would work for several reasons:

1. you will get to know how Ebay works first making your mistakes on items that don't reflect on your artwork.

2. you should have some postitive feedbacks before listing artwork, and this will help.

3. all the profit you make should go to a decent camera. I have used a Sony dsc-30 cybershot for several years. I bought it for $400 but now you can find it for $50-$150 on Ebay. It is only a 1.3 megapixels with a zoom and simple to use, and I have been very happy with the pics. I LOVE this camera and found that my investment in a GOOD camera was paid back very fast because good photos=better prices. Bad photos will guarantee bad sales.

I went the route of buying a cheap $99 camera off ebay. What a MISTAKE! The batteries needed replacing constantly and the pics were awful, I wasted my money but learned a lesson.

Before you go the 35mm, scanning photos route...figure the costs on paper. A roll of film cost x amount of dollars which you may only get a few good photos to use, the rest are thrown away and you don't know if you have any usable ones till you get it processed which costs x amount of dollars. I have to drive 20 miles to a photo-developing place which also costs me x amount in gas and time plus you have to wait for the photos and the trip to town which causes inconvience. If I figure up I do 3 batches of photos, that would cost me about $38. Plus you have to buy a cheap??? scanner, that sounds like an expensive route in the long-run. I would start cleaning out the closets! ;)

Good Luck!

Toni

L C Church
01-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Thanks sandge & Nivine. My smallest work is 11x14, so I guess I need to just save up some money for camera first.(will check out pricegrabber, thanks) I'm just so excited about getting started and presenting myself as well as I can. Be patient with me while I'm in my dumb question stage :D

L C Church
01-13-2004, 09:37 AM
tonigart, I am in the process of going through my stuff to sell on ebay, thought of building up my paypal account to have some funds available. I only have 5 feedback right now so need to get that built up.I am passionate and determined about doing this and marketing my art work.This forum has been such an inspiration to me and feel confident in the advice that is giving here. Thanks again.

cidtalk
07-27-2004, 08:11 AM
I say scanning is best too, for small things. I went to our local Staples and surprisingly found an excellent all in one scanner/printer thing for just 129 with a 30 mail in rebate. I know 100 can be hard to come by, but it's a great investment. I'm sure you can find a deal close to that online or in your local area. Mine is an Epson and it scans beautifully, prints shockingly well, and it's fast fast fast with it's USB 2.0 connection.

champagneharley
07-27-2004, 03:02 PM
I bought an 'under $20' digital camera from Wal-mart for a friend who is needs it to photo his work (sorry for not being very specific). I thought that I could afford to 'lose' $20 on a bad purchase if necessary.
I was AMAZED at the shots he takes with it!!!!!
The software that came with it, alone, was worth it all - a fun package of graphics. I think it was a Vivicam or something like that.
It MAY not suit what you need, but what the heck.
I wouldn't be without my digital camera, and couldn't list on ebay without it.
Regards,
Jillian

Sketchee
07-27-2004, 04:05 PM
I would get a cheap flatbed scanner. My scanner was under a hundred dollars and does a pretty good job. My works are bigger than the scanner surface but I scan in pieces and put it back together in photoshop. A google search can give you tutorials for how to do that. I get fairly high quality results that way considering the cost. :)