PDA

View Full Version : digital camera, what should I look for?

ElizaLeahy
01-12-2004, 05:36 PM
My digital camera was the best I could afford when I bought it, but that was 2 years ago, and it's time to upgrade.

One that I'm looking at is

Kodak DX4530 Digital Camera.
5.0 megapixels, 3x optical zoom, 3.3x digital zoom, large 4.6cm LCD display. Great for quality A2 size prints.

What do you think?

Ali the Cat
01-12-2004, 06:17 PM
My digital camera was the best I could afford when I bought it, but that was 2 years ago, and it's time to upgrade.

5.0 megapixels, 3x optical zoom, 3.3x digital zoom, large 4.6cm LCD display. Great for quality A2 size prints.

What do you think?

I bought a Kodak DX3700 about a year ago, I know it's not the same model, but by the same company, and I must say that I wasn't happy with the picture quality, it wasn't very sharp and they tried to con a load more money by selling the camera dock for about 50, but I just bought a normal battery recharger 8 and that worked fine. they may have improved the quality of the photo now, but just thought I'd let you know about the model I bought. Fujifinepix do a good one, My sister has one and I took some great pics with it. i'll try and find a link to it if you're interested.

Ali

jolie
01-13-2004, 05:17 AM
I'm going to buy a new camera in a few months, when I'm back in the States for a visit (great exchange rate for me!). I'm leaning toward the Fuji S7000. I've been reading lots of reviews and it seems to be in the top picks. It's a 6 mega-pixel camera and has macro abilities down to 1 cm. I have a website bookmarked with all the specs and a forum for Fuji users, but I'm not at home right now. I'll post the link when I get to my own computer. It's pretty easy to find info, however, if you would like to just do your own google search.

Jolie

ElizaLeahy
01-13-2004, 06:08 AM
I'm going to buy a new camera in a few months, when I'm back in the States for a visit (great exchange rate for me!). I'm leaning toward the Fuji S7000. I've been reading lots of reviews and it seems to be in the top picks. It's a 6 mega-pixel camera and has macro abilities down to 1 cm. I have a website bookmarked with all the specs and a forum for Fuji users, but I'm not at home right now. I'll post the link when I get to my own computer. It's pretty easy to find info, however, if you would like to just do your own google search.

Jolie

They sell here for about $1300 AU which is twice as much as I have :(

madmum
01-13-2004, 06:27 AM
Eliza, have you searched the threads in the photography forum? Lots of great information, and if you still can't decide you can start a new thread, they're very helpful. :)

Ruth

tonigart
01-13-2004, 08:51 AM
I just bought a new camera. My old one I will still use for Ebay, I have had it and have LOVED it for several years now. It is a Sony DSC-30, it was $400 when I bought it, now you can find it for $100-$150 on ebay. It is only 1.3 megapixels but have found it is a great camera for Ebay. (see my listings). I just bought an Olympus C-50 Zoom, 5 megapixels and haven't had time to try it out yet. I bought this because I am getting an Epson printer and needed a higher pixel camera to take pics for reproduction. I relied a lot on the salesman....and am not camera saavy. So far the reviews I have read have been very good. It is a basic camera without the bells and whistles, which I wanted.

If anyone has used this camera and has some comments on it, I would appreciate it! Good luck in your search Eliza!

Toni
http://stores.ebay.com/id=10916076&ssPageName=L2

Ali the Cat
01-13-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi,
the one my sister has isn't as high pixels as the new fuji model I know but it's less money, here are the specs

3.2 Million effective pixels, produces image with 2048 x 1536 recorded pixels. Simple user-friendly control and easy USB computer connection. A mechanical lens cover protects the lens during storage. Featuring a Fast f/2.8 Fujinon 3X optical lens, with 3.2X digital zoom, video recording, and PC-Cam Internet mode. Set to automatic, or select manual for greater control over each exposure. Included with a 16MB XD-Picture Card, 2 AA batteries, FinePix Software and USB Cable Compatible with Win 98, ME, 2000, XP, Mac 8.6-X

also a friend lent me her canon a while back or was it olympus anyway that took some really good pics, I'll try and find out which one it was.

Ali

Atrsy
01-13-2004, 01:26 PM
I'm also looking at digital cameras. I haven't yet bought one and since this will be my first, I am collecting all the info I can.

A web site that is very helpful is www.dpreview.com

They list ALL the cameras, tell the specs and also people rate the cameras per their experiences with them. It's funny, but I seem even more confused. I have read about some 5mp that say they don't seem as sharp up close. Other people have told me that if you want to have larger prints, you need more mp. Since I want mine mostly for portrait references, I am thinking that for me a 3.2 mp would be enough if it has enough optical zoom. (Don't even bother to look at digital zoom, you can do that on your computer.)

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Atrsy

Rodger Walker
01-13-2004, 05:03 PM

What do you think?

I have a Kodak DX3700. Not the same model, but my experience is not good :mad:. Poor picture clarity and major problems uploading to my Computer.... everything I have is very standard. I felt that Kodak was a good name and could rely on them but found absoultly NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT, not even a response to my emails. So that does it for Kodak.

The specks you listed sound like sound advise for a current camera. What I want, as a matter of fact. If it only had Konica, Minolta, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus or even Fuji on it though, I go for it. Have seen some unbelievable prices at OFFICE MAX so check there before you buy.

Let us know what you buy and the results.

Thanks.

ElizaLeahy
01-13-2004, 06:05 PM
I have a Kodak DX3700. Not the same model, but my experience is not good :mad:. Poor picture clarity and major problems uploading to my Computer.... everything I have is very standard. I felt that Kodak was a good name and could rely on them but found absoultly NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT, not even a response to my emails. So that does it for Kodak.

The specks you listed sound like sound advise for a current camera. What I want, as a matter of fact. If it only had Konica, Minolta, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus or even Fuji on it though, I go for it. Have seen some unbelievable prices at OFFICE MAX so check there before you buy.

Let us know what you buy and the results.

Thanks.

It's odd, I've had a Kodak for two years and it's never once had a problem. The photos have always been great. It's just that now I'm needing to take higher res photos for printing I need a better camera.

We don't have office max here in Australia, but we have Office Works. I'll check there :)

Thanks!

TeAnne
01-13-2004, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't touch another Kodak camera. :( Nikon & Canon are my choices now.

Cathy Morgan
01-13-2004, 10:55 PM
I agree about reading the reviews at dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com) and also at Steve's Digicams. (http://www.steves-digicams.com). Also there's a newsgroup called rec.photo.digital. If you read what other people have said in that newsgroup about the camera you're considering, and ask for opinions, you'll find out a lot.

Every camera has both good and bad points. None are perfect. By reading the reviews and newsgroup messages, you'll know the bad points before you buy, so you'll pick a camera whose bad points don't bother you much. What one person doesn't mind, will drive someone else nuts.

Of course, you can't tell for sure from reading, how a particular camera will feel in your hand, or whether or not it will really feel OK in your pants or shirt pocket. (Of course, some are so big you do know the answer to that.) So try to buy from a store that has a good return policy with no restocking fee, in case you find that you just don't like the feel of the camera.

If I were buying now, I'd buy the new canon digital slr for $1,000 including lens. But I loved my first digital, a nikon 900s. I bought a tiny canon s110 because I just couldn't get myself to take the nikon with me everywhere, even though it's not a huge camera and fit ok in a fannypack. The little canon does fit fine in my pants pocket so I have a camera with me all the time. Its bad point? It doesn't focus well for closeups, which can be quite exasperating. But - it focuses well in the dark, so I can get shots in deep woods that the nikon couldn't take. The nikon, on the other hand, is great for closeups.

So - some reading will help you see which features and abilities really matter most to you. Jewelers must have good macro cameras. Painters might not need this. Do you want the camera with you all the time, for shots that stimulate ideas? Do you want to take action shots at sports events or watching birds? Etc. etc.

ElizaLeahy
01-14-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks Cathy, and everyone.

I really don't know why there are so many people here who don't like the kodak. I've had mine for 2 years and it's been great. The only reason I'm upgrading now is because I might be going into prints and need the higher resolution. I can't afford any of the other 5mp ones on the market, so it looks like it's going to be the kodak by default. But almost all the reports I've read say it's fine, so I'm not that nervous!

Also the store I'm buying it from (Harvey Norman) will refund money if you aren't satisfied. I took a printer back, they said they wouldn't refund unless it was faulty, I said "It does not work the way that I was promised it would in the advertising" and they gave me my money back. I like that in a store :)

TeAnne
01-14-2004, 01:27 AM
I got this one from Harvey Norman.
Nikon Coolpix 2500 f/2.7-f/4.8 (35-mm)Nikkor (Nikki)
I've sold most of my photos on ebay taken with Nikki.

Genie
01-14-2004, 01:46 AM
I got the Sony cybershot DSC-V1 about a month ago and am thrilled with it. VERY simple to use, 5.0 megapixels, 4X optical zoom, Carl Ziess lens, and this cool laser hologram multipoint focus that is just the coolest thing. Not that I need it for art, but the nightframing is great. Photos come out perfect even in really low light, or in the dark for that matter.

I'm just barely past point-and-shoot, starting to learn a few of the extra features. For someone who knows more about photography and wants to be more creative, there are lots of manual settings, but the camera functions really well even for a know-nothing like me. You can also buy other lenses to use with it-- telephoto and wide-angle, and it has a hot shoe if you want to use a better flash. Takes nice close-ups as is and has a macro setting.

Love it.

Genie

Antoine
01-14-2004, 07:21 AM
If I were buying now, I'd buy the new canon digital slr for $1,000 including lens. -Yeh!! I'm saving up for that one. (had my eye on it for a while)

In the mean time I got a Nicon Coolpix 4300 and I'm very, very impressed with the photo quality.

wayfarer
01-14-2004, 08:04 AM
I love my Olympus c4000 zoom that I sniped, by the way, on eBay for half price and with a 128 mg card. :p This is a 4.0 mg pixel camera, a best buy with PC World magazine for a number of weeks. I do believe that they're liking the newest version now. The only complaint I'd have is that some of the menus are a bit vague and hard to follow. Just some getting used to, I guess.

If you do anything, get a huge card and get a card reader. Saves on batteries. Very convenient to download the odd picture or two. If you're going to use the camera's software, see if you can preview it. So many try to reinvent the wheel and make their software package's less than intuitive.

Happy shopping!

Chris