PDA

View Full Version : OP Flowers in Green Vase

ks1017
01-12-2004, 02:32 PM
I just finished this oil pastel picture from an image in the reference library. I used Van Gogh pastels and sometimes Prismacolor colored pencils for small details. It's a 9X12. I really enjoyed working with the vase most of all.

http://www.s88082203.onlinehome.us/art/FlowerVaseSm.jpg

A closeup of the vase:
http://www.s88082203.onlinehome.us/art/FVCloseupSm.jpg

eileenclaire
01-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Love it!! Welcome to the forum! Glad you posted the close up, I really love the way you stroked in the color. Keep posting, I want to see more!!

Dyin
01-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Hey, this is great!!!And the closest I've seen oil pastels come to soft pastel technique! Love the color choices, you do glass well, and that vase looks yummy!!! Glad to have you join us here...and hope to see more....great job!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

sundiver
01-12-2004, 03:29 PM
I like this very much. How do you like the Van Goghs? Do they layer well?

gr8pets
01-12-2004, 08:02 PM
You did a beautiful job! How did you use colored pencils...More specifically, did you lay down the OP's before or after the pencil?

Your lovely picture makes me want to try those Van Goghs!

Christi

SweetBabyJ
01-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Oh my! What a wonderfully "painterly" effect! Beautiful work!

Mo.
01-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi Ks and a warm welcome to you, it's always good to see another Op'er, I've uploaded your paintings as thumbnails so folks can see you lovely painting as they reply, please tell us more about your techniques, we all want to know you know! Lovely work!

Mo.:)

ks1017
01-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the responses! :) Mo., thanks for uploading the images, I tried using the IMG tags hoping the pictures would show up but it didn't quite work that way.

Christi, I laid down the OPs first. I only used the pencils around edges of objects where I wanted some definition. I've used them in the past for other pictures, like one with a detailed shield or hair that I never could have done with oil pastels alone. The prismacolor pencils are better to use than cheaper pencils because they'll go on easier, and you won't peel away much of your work. It works best when you want to darken areas, but I swear when I was using my cheaper pastels, I sometimes used a white colored pencil to brighten it where the pastels wouldn't. But only on small areas.

Sundiver, I really like the Van Goghs, even if they are missing some of the colors I'd like to use. (For example, they don't have a gray; I bought the set of 48). I always used cheaper pastels by Cray-Pas called Expressionist pastels until now, but it's harder to get bright colors with those. On bigger pieces I'd do the first few layers in cheaper pastels until I had a good base, and then I'd put the Van Goghs on top. Van Goghs are kind of in a middle price range, and they're well worth the money for the quality, but eventually I'd like to get the more expensive brands like Sennelier to see how those are. Anyone have a favorite brand they can recommend?

I've always found oil pastels to be very intuitive, and I love the way you can fix your mistakes easily as you go along! My first oil pastel was in 10th grade, and my art teacher told us to take the scenic route in using them: Layer many different colors underneath the one you actually want to end up with, so they'll show through and really add depth to the picture. I'll post my first oil pastel soon of my old cat, but I have to wait until it's sunny outside since it's framed and hard to get a non-glare picture of. After that picture, I spent the next few pictures I did copying paintings by other artists so I'd have something to hang in my room for cheap and I wouldn't feel intimidated trying to come up with something original to draw. It was a definite cop out, but I learned a lot about how to use pastels by doing this. Has anyone else here ever copied popular or famous art in the hopes to improve your own skills?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Dyin
01-13-2004, 12:59 AM
Well, i like Holbein the best, Caran 'Ache Neopastels second and then Sennelier...Sennelier has nice strong pigment but real greasy to use! Hard to control...you should go read the oil pastel thread in the library...all you could possibly want to know!!!