PDA

View Full Version : Mischievous Katie WIP OPs

eileenclaire
01-11-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm just getting started on another portrait, and would love for some ideas on a background. This is Katie at 16 months, getting into something she shouldn't be, as usual, grinning her devilish grin. The background in the picture is a couch. I've got the drawing done and will transfer it to Canson oyster paper (the only color I have!). I don't want to start on it until I'm sure what I want to do for the background. And that's where you come in. Will you help me out please? What would you do if this were yours? Keep that couch as a background, do something more abstract? And what about colors? Any ideas you can give on this would be so greatly appreciated!!!

Dark_Shades
01-11-2004, 05:44 PM
awwww shes a darling...... and look at that impish grin..... can see why you want to do this one..... well, Im not very good at this sort of thing.... but I think I would go for something quite darkly mottled... suggesting, perhaps shes by bushes out in the garden..... will watch with interest ..... Im sure it will turn out beautiful what ever you do

Dyin
01-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Well, first if I was doing this I would drop the pattern in the shirt OR go check out Diane's article... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/1458/410/ as she shows how to downplay patterns in it...
I think with her lovely reddish hair and the yellowy/green tones in her skin I'd think of a nice darkish green in the background...you could do an unfocused type folliage, but would not go too light.
Then I'd think of what the color of the shirt should be...I'd take it to photoshop and play with different combos of shirts and backgrounds...if you were to keep the pattern I'd mute it down some.
And lastly, she needs something to be a prop for her hand...and that I'm a little stumped on...it needs to fit and not take away from her...or are you planning on adding the bits of fingers not showing???
Oh...and I'd put her a bit left of center too...but that's me!

And is that you using your KNEE for a drawing table?????? :eek:

eileenclaire
01-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Hmmm, I like these ideas. Thanks for replying so quickly, Dark Shades and Dyin! I was hoping someone would soon because I'm chomping at the bit to get started.

You both have the same idea about foliage, and about it being darker, great minds think alike! And thanks for that link, Dyin. I understand what you mean about playing down the pattern, would keep the focus on her, but I love that dress! I made that when I was in my sewing phase! LOL. But you're right, it would distract from her.

The reason I like this shot is because it portrays Katie's personality so well. She is getting into mischief, as per usual! So I do want her to have her hand in something she's not supposed to, like that diaper bag. If she's outside, I'm not sure what I would do with that. I'll have to think on this. I am going to play around with this in that photo program we have, and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

That is my knee, but I wasn't drawing, that didn't come until a few years later!

Dyin
01-11-2004, 07:14 PM
How about in the dirt of a large terra cotta flower pot??? :evil: :D ...now that I know the personality you're trying to get! And I wondered that about the shirt...it's very nice...so just don't overdo the pattern and it'll work just fine!

SweetBabyJ
01-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Can you maybe get a small toychest in there? Something with a curved lid, maybe? That would echo her roundness and smile some....

eileenclaire
01-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks for your suggestions Dyin and SweetBabyJ! I'm going to stick with the bag. At that time of her life Katie was well known for getting into people's bags and taking keys, pens, whatever she could get her hands on, then running off and laughing. That's what I want to capture.

I am going to go with that dark green background. I figure if I mess it up, I can always do it over! I don't know if this is a good procedure to follow, but I'm going to do the whole background first. Then I think I'll be better able to judge the skin tones for her. At least I hope I will, I'm totally clueless about this whole thing!

Dyin
01-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Well, I've seen proponents for both sides..and sometimes I do it first, and sometimes last...just be careful not to drag an arm through it! Just remember, it's only paper...plus I know, even if you don't, that you'll do a great job on this! But it's a good step deciding about a background and integrating the whole thing together right from the beginning...once you start thinking of it as a whole, things sort of leap forward at warp speed lol! Lots of new possibilities and actually less chance of worry about ruining a piece! Can't wait to follow along!

eileenclaire
01-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Dyin, thanks for your vote of confidence, and for reminding me about the smear factor. I only put half the background in for that reason. It won't stay a solid color, I figure I'll work on it as I go along. The skin tones won't stay like that either, I'll work on them throughout. As a matter of fact, I'm still working on them on my last portrait! Just kidding, but the only reason I'm not still playing with that is because I put it on a high shelf out of reach! Anybody else have that syndrome? The I'm Never Done syndrome? The problem with oil pastels is you can pick the painting up much later and still work on it. There needs to be a support group for people like me!

Dyin
01-13-2004, 12:51 AM
Lol....make a rule...get it where it looks good, and then sign it...you can NOT work on it after signing...the end, finito...all gone...then you just say next time..
My trouble is fussin before I sign...I have a black scarf I drape over the easel so I can take a break...cuz as long as I see it there's always something to touch up. ALWAYS...lol...this is a good start and the hand looks good already!!! This will be fun to watch!
What size is this????

eileenclaire
01-14-2004, 10:48 PM
It's an 8 x 10. I'm waiting on a shipment of paper from Jerry's, don't have any art stores in the area. It's the last piece I have, otherwise I would have made it bigger. Having lots of trouble with the hair. I liked doing the hair on the last one, this one isn't so easy. Might just scrape it off and try again later.

Dyin
01-14-2004, 11:35 PM
It's so hard to work small with portraits...I just started doing a 3/4 body pose on 9x12..all excited about trying out new paper...what was I thinking??? I also struggle with hair at times and have scraped many a head! In the end you will make it work, though....doing a wip is a bit of added pressure...you can take pics and then catch us up later. I know you'll do a beautiful job, I've seen what you can do and it's very good...so hang tough!

meowmeow
01-15-2004, 08:39 AM
THis will be wonderful...what a cutie she is! The suggestions are good...a nice dark background with greens. I am looking forward to seeing this develop.

Sandy

eileenclaire
01-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Dyin and Sandy, thanks so much for your encouragement, it is much appreciated!

Luvy
01-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Wow I can't wait to see this done it's looking good so far

Dark_Shades
01-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Come on Eileen, am waiting for updates :)

lisilk
01-16-2004, 07:58 PM
I so admire all of you brave enough to paint children with their funny proportions ! Her skin tones are gorgeous and you are definitely developing that mischeivious grin. Looking forward to watching this develop.

Cheers,

Li

eileenclaire
01-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks Luvy and Li!

Dark Shades, you're singing my song! (Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners). Don't know if that was popular out your way. Anyway, I can't whip out beautiful works of art in a couple of hours like one talented artist I know :D ! I am slow as molasses in January compared to you.

I'm learning a lot from this piece. First, I'll never work this small again! Second, I'll make sure I'm happy with the colors on a scrap piece of paper before putting them on the drawing. But here's what I'm up to so far:

Dyin
01-17-2004, 12:06 AM
ah geez...look at that personality pop out!!! I wonder if anyone could capture this as well as mom??? Small faces are a KILLER!!!! I keep saying the same thing as you, but don't follow through like I should lol! Your colors are good, just love those little baby fat creases here and there! Having fun watching this one....and I KNOW what molasses is like lol!!!!

nougat
01-17-2004, 12:43 AM
This is lovely!!! can't wait to see it finished.

n

eileenclaire
01-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Still plugging away at this. Thanks, nougat, I can't wait to see it finished either :D ! Feel free to jump in with suggestions, it would be much appreciated. Any ideas about the bag? How about the background, where would you take it from here? I plan on toning down the dress and making other adjustments here and there. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

ctmobitz
01-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Wow this is looking super! What brand OPs do you use? Are you using terp to blend the colors? Wish I could do a OP portrait like this......

Claude

Dyin
01-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Eileen, you are caturing that title so well! Hard to look at it and think about things like background...all you can see is that adorable face! I'd think that you might want to go mid to dark tones for the background and bag..just really don't want to draw attention away from Katie (as if you could!) I still say take it to a photo program and play with it a bit.

Dark_Shades
01-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks Luvy and Li!

Dark Shades, you're singing my song! (Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners). Don't know if that was popular out your way. Anyway, I can't whip out beautiful works of art in a couple of hours like one talented artist I know :D ! I am slow as molasses in January compared to you.

I'm learning a lot from this piece. First, I'll never work this small again! Second, I'll make sure I'm happy with the colors on a scrap piece of paper before putting them on the drawing. But here's what I'm up to so far:

Lol Eileen as I said it I thought.... hmmm wonder if she has heard that song :D

...... ohh I knew this would turn out beautifully..... just look at all that lovely detail in that dress..... amazing.....

now....

Come on Eileen too-loo rye-aye come on, Eileen too-loo rye-aye toora toora-too-loora
:clap:

eileenclaire
01-23-2004, 12:27 AM
I think I'm finished with this. At least now I have a background done, pretty plain, but it's a start. I tried to lighten the bottom up to make it less flat looking, not sure if I succeeded there. I figure the more backgrounds I do, the better I'll get. That dress needs to be toned down more, and someday maybe I'll come back to it, but for now it's going on that high shelf that's out of reach!

Claude, these were Caran D'ache Neopastels, using a tortillon and fingers to blend with, no turps. And thanks for your kind words.

Thanks for all your help with this Dyin!

Dark Shades, you make me laugh, thanks for singing that, it brings back memories!

crazyartist2000
01-23-2004, 04:23 AM
I think I'm finished with this. At least now I have a background done, pretty plain, but it's a start. I tried to lighten the bottom up to make it less flat looking, not sure if I succeeded there. I figure the more backgrounds I do, the better I'll get. That dress needs to be toned down more, and someday maybe I'll come back to it, but for now it's going on that high shelf that's out of reach!

Eileen!! Forget the high shelf! Matte and Frame her and don't touch another thing! You have done an awesome job on it, and I think you should not hide her. :clap: :music:

nougat
01-23-2004, 04:30 AM
This is just gorgeous!! A painting to treasure!!

well done!!

n

MonicaB
01-23-2004, 09:36 AM
She's gorgeous! You even got that wicked gleam in her eye. And did all the detail on her dress. Wow!

Dyin
01-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Yep, this belongs in a frame for sure. Don't think you have to tone down the outfit...you said it has memories from you and it's not taking attention from her face, it adds to it. Without a busy background it doesn't hurt a thing..you also kept it simple in shading so it works just fine. This is all about Katie, and that's the whole purpose!!! A really great job and thanks for sharing!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mo.
01-23-2004, 10:05 AM
This is absolutely superb. :clap: :clap: You relly must frame this for all to see and admire, what a treasure!
:clap: :clap:

Mo.:)

eileenclaire
01-23-2004, 05:54 PM
You are just the nicest people! Thanks crazyartist, nougat, Monica, Dyin and Mo! Crazyartist, I really wasn't going to hide it, just putting it away for awhile to start something new, then I'll come back to it with fresher eyes. I really appreciate all the support from this forum.