PDA

View Full Version : Mixing 2 Brands

Firefly
08-05-2001, 12:02 PM
In another post a few days ago, I asked if the Liquitex Beginner Series was student grade and some of you advised against using them. Well, I went to the art store and got Winsor and Newton Finity Series 3 'Diox purple' & 'Burnt Umber' b/c those were 2 colors I didn't have. Should I try to use up my other paints and slowly start accumulating the Winsor and Newton into my palette? Or should I just get all new paints. I'm not sure if the 2 brands have the same consistency or not. Would they be ok to mix?

Patrick1
08-05-2001, 12:16 PM
Sure, it's okay to mix brands. In fact most
painters probably use more than just one brand/line of acrylic paint, often even in the same painting. Don't worry about brand loyalty...just buy the best tube of paint for your
need. Also, I don't recommend replacing colors you already have...unless you have money to burn. I always use up my old ones first.

The nice thing about W&N Finity is that there is minimal color shift (darkening) as the paint dries. But I don't recommend you get all colors in one brand, unless you really want to. I recommend you try different brands and lines and compare their strenghts and weaknesses:

-color shift from wet to dry
-drying time
-thickness/consistency
-intensity of colors
-color selection
-choice of sizes
-availability of hand-painted color charts (very important if you want to order paint on-line...printed color charts or on-line color charts often don't show all colors accurately...and often horribly)
-overall value

Finity has a large selection of colors, so if you want to use only Finity acrylics you probably could.

Firefly
08-05-2001, 12:30 PM
Wow, Domer thanks! I'm glad to hear that I don't have to waste the paints I already have. I don't find them that hard to work with. Of course, I am just a beginner. But those paints will be good to practice with! And if I actually paint as much as I want to, I would have all that Liquitex used up soon! Thanks for the insight! :clap:

Einion
08-05-2001, 08:23 PM
Yes, Patrick beat me to it but it is perfectly fine to mix paints from different manufacturers - both literally as in mixing them together and used side-by-side or layered in the same painting.

You might occasionally come across comments from manufacturers (particularly in regard to acrylics because of their varied chemical makeup) recommending that you do not mix their paints with those of other makers because of "potential mixing issues" or words to that effect. I have read this more than once but in practice I have never come across any problems at all in 20 years so I think it is probably just a marketing ploy :)

The only thing you might want to bear in mind is the varied consistencies between type/brand will give different results. Finitys used with no water will dry with more pronounced brushmarks than Liquitex for example.

As Patrick suggests, especially early on it is probably a good idea to get a selection of colours across brands to find out for yourself if they have properties you prefer: if you want work with a smooth finish you might like Liquitex Medium Viscosity or Golden Fluid Acrylics because you won't have to thin as much (or at all); if you like impasto or just like your brushmarks to show, Finity and Golden Heavy Body might be your best choices. Experiment, have fun, let us know how you get on.

Einion

Patrick1
08-06-2001, 06:36 AM
Firefly, one important thing I forgot to mention:

There are differences in different brand/lines in the gloss of the dried acrylic paint. Some dry to a matte finish, some dry to a gloss or semi-gloss finish, while with others (like Golden) there is a difference in the individual colors...some of the colors dry matte, others gloss, others semi-gloss, and everything in between. But the more water you add, the less glossy the paint will dry. Be aware that matte paint scuffs more easily. This may or may not be a problem for you.

Personally, I haven't yet decided which level of glossiness I prefer. I'm a beginner, and my style is still developing.

regsart
08-06-2001, 09:15 AM
Hello Fire Fly,
I was just wondering this very question. I use liquid acrylics and my usual brand isn't available any more. I was also wondering to start new or mix brands . So I will save my $ !and use new with old .
Have a nice DAy All!:)
Regan

Firefly
08-06-2001, 11:02 AM
Einion: I do like my brushmarks to show. So I am very glad I got 2 colors from the Finity series. I got some extra cash for my b-day so I am going to Hobby Lobby 2- day to get some more.Thanks for your advice.

Domer: Thanks for your advice, also. I will definately watch for the glossy/ matte colors/ brands. Do you think that if you get a glossy med. it will make the matte colors glossier?

Regan: I know what you mean! I was hoping I didn't have to throw out all my Liquitex Beginner paints! So, how new to this are you? Do you take lessons. I don't. I've been wanting to paint all my life. My grandmother painted mostly in oils. She was someone I really looked up to. When she passed away, I wanted all of her supplies (numerous easels, paints, brushes, tons of canvas, etc.) But I was in high school at the time & my mom didn't have a place for it in her house. She thought about it, though (knowing good&well that I am notorious for wanting something and seeing that it happened). They sold my grandma's stuff real cheap at a garage sale. Now my mom's wishing she wouldn't have gotten rid of the stuff!

regsart
08-06-2001, 01:01 PM
Hello Firefly,
I've been[artistic all my life - however-] painting profesionally for 5 or 6 years part time while my children grow. I'm self taught and this forum stuff is very helpful. I'm new to the wet canvas forums. A local artist friend clued me in to this place. It's nice to have a sounding board isn't it? For info just like this!
Have a nice Day
Regan

Patrick1
08-06-2001, 01:44 PM
Firefly, I don't use mediums, but a gloss medium would make matte colors glossier, if that's what you're looking for. Also, if you haven't already, I highly recommend watching the painting shows on PBS. Perhaps the best, at least in terms of information for learning, is as The Yarnell School Of Fine Art.

ejfarrae
08-06-2001, 04:18 PM
firefly,

i don't know how much paint you need or intend on using, but if you are going to be buying paint on a regular basis i'd recommend you order either online or through a catalog. The savings can be tremendous. utrecht has a huge catalog as well as their own line of quality paints (i think their website is utrechtart.com). also jerry's artarama has a huge catalog with almost every brand of paint you can imagine (jerryscatalog.com). check these two out. i think you'll be pleased with the prices.

Firefly
08-06-2001, 05:05 PM
Thank you for those sites. I gave them my name and address so they can send me a catalog (I'm paranoid about ordering off the internet!)
Hey I noticed you are from New Orleans! What part? I'm from Metairie but lived most of my life in Baton Rouge. So I guess that thinking in terms of the
HUGE internet, we are neighbors!:clap:

LDianeJohnson
08-06-2001, 05:48 PM
There are some great recommendations for you here Firefly. I agree, mixing the various brands is generally fine and a great way to experiment. Just gradually incorporate the higher grades as you run out of the older ones.

And, I always mention that birthdays and holidays are a good time to ask for gift certificates and art equipment and supplies when family/friends don't know what to get you. Perhaps you can get those new tubes sooner than you thought :)

Diane

Firefly
08-06-2001, 07:12 PM
Great Idea!!

Einion
08-06-2001, 08:51 PM
I personally think we should ignore the natural gloss of acrylics and learn to varnish to protect our work. It really is the best way to prevent damage and if you like gloss it increases the depths of your darks quite a bit. Most manufacturers of acrylics also make matt and satin varnishes if you don't like a gloss finish.

About buying online, this was discussed on another thread here recently. Also have a look at these, the first two appear to be particularly cheap: <A HREF=http://www.aoeartworld.com/>AOE Art Supply</A>, <A HREF=http://www.misterart.com/>MisterArt</A>, <A HREF=http://www.abovegroundartsupplies.com/ >Aboveground Art Supplies</A>, <A HREF=http://pearlpaint.com/>Pearl</A>, <A HREF=http://www.cheapjoe.com/>Cheap Joe's</A>.

And for brushes you might like to check out <A HREF=http://www.trekell.com/>Trekell</A>, they're supposed to be quite good and very reasonable.

Einion

LDianeJohnson
08-07-2001, 09:20 AM
Einion

I absolutely agree about varnishing which I do to all my paintings. I mix the gloss and matte varnish 50/50 in a bottle to achieve a great satin. It will even out the paint surface reflectivity and give even more depth to the piece. Some have been accused of using varnish as an excuse to try to improve a painting, but it does enhance while protecting.

D.

Firefly
08-07-2001, 10:28 AM
I checked out those websites. Cheap Joe's has Finity paints for half the price that my local art supply store has! I ordered a catalog. :clap: :clap: