PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Contemporary Art?

SDavy
08-05-2001, 10:03 AM
As some of you may know, I got nailed to the wall by a contemporary gallery
owner recently. In this post everything new age, can someone give me a decent working definition of "contemporary art"?
I know photo-realism is still big- but what else?
I need to unerstand this better...
Stephanie

AmyH
08-05-2001, 01:53 PM
Contenmporary means current, as in up to date with the times. Not meaning made today, but utilizing current/new/advanced ideas. Not only ideas pertaining to art itself: specific mediums or techiniques (although those certainly apply), but the poitical, social, philisophical, world at large, climate.

Making a pretty painting of a vase in watercolor probably isnt current/contemporary in most cases. However, making a pretty image of a vase, that has roaches on it, handpainted to match the flowers is.

Don't try it though, Catherine Chalmers has beat ya to it. ;)

amy

AmyH
08-05-2001, 02:20 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2001/chalm.JPG

mame
08-05-2001, 02:22 PM
Stephanie

Here are a few resources re contemporary art to follow up Amy's post:

http://contemporaryart.about.com/?once=true&

http://www.jca-online.com/

http://contemporaryartonline.com/

http://www.mcachicago.org/

http://www.goethe.de/os/hon/enarch.htm

colorme
08-05-2001, 02:39 PM
poor roaches..

AmyH
08-05-2001, 03:27 PM
nah the roaches are fine. she immobalizes em by putting them in the fridge, she doesnt kill em. hey, they look much better lol

amy

Santos
08-05-2001, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by AmyH;
nah the roaches are fine. she immobalizes em by putting them in the fridge, she doesnt kill em. hey, they look much better lol

Amy, I think you left something out. When she is finished she then steps on them, and if she doesn't I will.

domsanto
08-05-2001, 03:41 PM
Hey, Santos. How did you get in here?

mame
08-05-2001, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by domsanto
Hey, Santos. How did you get in here?

Any relation to Vinnie?

domsanto
08-05-2001, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by mame:
Any relation to Vinnie?

Trying to get me to sing huh? I didn't see nuttin.

SDavy
08-05-2001, 11:12 PM
I recently saw that artist profiled on Egg:The Arts Show. I still am looking
to get a handle on it (tho' I guess if I didn't after "Art in the era of Mass
communication" in grad school- perhaps I never will.
I know what the words mean- and the conceptual aspects, I was just
looking for some examples to clear up the painting aspect a bit...
Thanks Mama for the sites- I will check them out!
Stephanie

mame
08-06-2001, 08:22 AM
SDavy

I selected these sites at random. I did a simple search "contemporary art". There are a million of 'em.

You may find - at least via the internet - that "contemporary art" is anything anybody is doing right now because nobody knows what to call "everything".

Luis Guerreiro
08-07-2001, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by SDavy
As some of you may know, I got nailed to the wall by a contemporary gallery
owner recently. In this post everything new age, can someone give me a decent working definition of "contemporary art"?
I know photo-realism is still big- but what else?
I need to unerstand this better...
Stephanie

Stephanie,
Those who are into photo-realism would be better off taking photos. Those who are into painting reality are possibly into something called Classical Realism, a big MUST in art, not still big, but definitely ALWAYS very big, because there is a timeless quality about it.
My view on Contemporary Art will follow in a separate post, but I though it was important to make the above distinction.;)
Luis

Luis Guerreiro
08-07-2001, 04:18 PM
Contemporary Art in the 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th centuries became classical art in this Century. I think this is first point I would like to make.
I suppose our contemporary art will become classics of the 24th century.
I can't really define contemporary art, its aesthetic diversity is such, that to try to define it would mean to reduce it to some extent to the dimensions of our own concept of beauty, form, aesthetics, etc and I feel that cont. art precisely challenges this type of approach.
Contemporary Art is above all a statement of Freedom of Thinking, a liberty in the making of art, the challenge to the standards and rules governing art. It also was a challenge to the powers, whatever they may be, at least one of those powers (the Art Critics) found it trendy which was lucky, because all of a sudden a lot of stuff turned into Gold Mines.
Cont. Art is also a challenge to mentality, artistic prejudice and popular arts concepts which often state that art can only be what represents reality with truthful likeness, or falls between the boundaries of the accepted notion that art means absolute beauty.
The social, economic and political influence of the elites of the past moulded art into what it used to be, mainly because the elite funded art, paid for it and therefore used it to make elite eternal, respected, venerated and for ever present in our lives in the form of statues, frescos, oils, portraits, and all the rest of it. HENCE, Contemporary Art is also a strong political challenge in the sense that, because the artist is greatly emancipated from the patron, his/her art became more the true expression of his/her feelings and views. Cave men produced Art, but is it beautiful in the "educated" eyes of the elite? I doubt it! And Cont. Art, is it beautiful in the eyes of the current elite, stuffy, bourgeois and very, very boring as they often are? I think not. Some Contemp Art is well liked by the elites, I reckon that it all depends on a number of factors... I don't really want to go into it.
My most important point about Contemporary Art is that for the first time in History, it became the tangible "voice" of political intervention, but this time, intervention on behalf not of Power, but of the commons, the poor, the ugly, the persecuted, the hungry, the sick, etc... Of course Classical Realism can do the same, but because it retains with it most forms of applications inherited from the past (portraits, still life, landscape) Contemporary Art finds itself more suited to splash political statements in a more effective way.
Sorry I just realised I wrote too much. I'll stop here then.:)
Luis

harv
08-10-2001, 03:39 PM
The Museum of Contemporary Art

What is understood by the term «Contemporary Art» Does it describe a category defined by time (the art of today) or an aesthetic category (a certain type of art) According to the law, the definition of the expression is strictly chronological and therefore in perpetual evolution. It means works of living artists, or, if they are dead, works which are at the most twenty years old. In the eyes of art historians and auctioneers, the chronological order is of primary importance but only concerning art produced after 1945. Museum curators, on the other hand, accept art both in chronological and aesthetic categories, as the term is meant to be «a global one, limiting modern art to the year 1960 and situating contemporary art from 1960 to the present time». Stakes are high when defining art. Classifying a work as contemporary may mean its acceptance or its rejection. There again the context is important. Within the art world, a young artist’s production is quite often welcomed as «highly contemporary» or refused as being «not at all contemporary». On the other hand, the term may be an expression of disapproval in the mouths of people when referring to a type of production they object to.

Nathalie Heinich. 1998. Le triple jeu de l’art contemporain. Paris: Minuit, p. 10.

From the web - pick the bones out of that.

Theolwon
09-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Although the definitions of Cont. art seemed pretty sufficient, too much time is spent catagorizing art works Some of us paint spreaders need to know a definition for what we just created, personally, it's not important to me. I don't stand at the easel and wonder if i should do a contempory, abstract etc. The guide for me is what my eyes see and what i feel or maybe a mood and just let it happen, what ever.... Theolwon

hotpavementburnsmyft
09-01-2004, 05:32 PM
wow this is an old thread

Tamana
09-01-2004, 06:09 PM
lol