PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovering Oil Pastels

cytokrome
01-10-2004, 11:56 PM
Hi, I've just joined WC and I'm looking forward to being part of this community.

As a bit of background... I got my first set of oil pastels just over ten years ago for use in a school art class and loved working with them (Micador brand - are they good quality?). At this time I was also inspired by learning about the works of Monet, hence one of my projects was a copy of a Monet (hopefully attached to this post). The other picture I have attached was done from a photo at the same time. Since then I have not done anything as big, just little still lifes and some experimenting with dry pastels (I didn't like them much but after reading a few posts have realised that they were one of the hardest brands - Conte). Recently I have got the oil pastels out again and have begun another piece. Halfway thru I found WC so I am looking forward to getting some feedback when I have time to post the WIP.
Thankyou very much to everyone who participates in this coz already I feel re inspired and challenged to experiment.

cytokrome

Mikki Petersen
01-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Both are quite nice paintings, but I really like the floral. those bright colors and high contrasts always capture my attention. Welcome aboard...you can achieve some amazing stuff through this site!

Dyin
01-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Welcome to WC (or should I say ArtistNation..AN) and the Pastel forum...you are going to loooooove it here!!! Lot of us OPers too! And you are a welcome addition...love both, but I too am awed by the flowers, something I don't do well! so maybe I'll take notes from you!!! If you haven't found them go to the Pastel library...there's firstly an oil pastel sticky that has gobs of info and if you go to the library link in there and down to the bottom there's tons of other oil pastel threads too. Never heard of your oil pastels...they must be good...look at what they made!!! :)

Kathryn Wilson
01-11-2004, 07:45 AM
Welcome! You have two very lovely pieces - and in OP too. I like the softness of the first, but especially like the second one - vibrant colors and expertly done.

meowmeow
01-11-2004, 07:53 AM
Welcome! It's nice you have found your way back to your op's and to here.
I like them both, but also esepcially the flowers. The contrasts and wonderful. But the softness of the first is really nice too.

Sandy

sundiver
01-11-2004, 04:02 PM
I haven't heard of those pastels either, but you handle them so well it doesn't much matter about the quality.
I like both of these. I'm partial to Monet- style paintings, but the flowers are beautiful, too.
Hope to see lots more of you in the Pastel Forum! :)

eileenclaire
01-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Welcome! Great to see another oil pastelist here! I love your paintings, can't wait to see your WIP!

marilyn h
01-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Just love the walkway with the accents on a beautiful English style garden.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
01-12-2004, 12:49 AM
both are wonderful! i really like the floral

Artaholic
01-12-2004, 01:25 AM
Welcome, you will get a lot of great support here and help when wanted. Both of your paintings are great :clap: :clap:

Gerry

ks1017
01-12-2004, 02:28 AM
I really like the second one. How big is that piece?

I've been using oil pastels since high school, too, and I've been hooked on them ever since. I just got some Van Gogh's and have been using those, but even the cheapest brands I've always had great results with. I've attempted dry pastels but they're so messy. I only have the NuPastels in those, which I just recently learned are a harder variety, so one day I'll pick up some softer ones and try again.

busy91
01-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Those are great! I can't get oil pastels to do anything. I really like the way the water looks.

christmascarolnz
01-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Hi cyto and welcome to wc! :clap:
Lovely paintings...the colours in the first one are great and the flower one is really good. I'm not a landscape painter but really appreciate your work.
Look forward to seeing you aroundabout.
Carol

cytokrome
01-13-2004, 02:48 AM
thanks everyone for all your nice comments :)

the size of both is roughly is 60cm x 43 cm and both were done on coloured Canson paper (cant remember specs but it is nice and textured). they have been framed under glass without any fixative and haven't deteriorated in over 10 yrs (been reading some stuff in the archive 'bout this).

i have just bought some Van Gogh pastels too and cant wait to get stuck into them. they seem softer than my old set.

Marc Sabatella
01-16-2004, 05:26 PM
the size of both is roughly is 60cm x 43 cm and both were done on coloured Canson paper (cant remember specs but it is nice and textured). they have been framed under glass without any fixative and haven't deteriorated in over 10 yrs (been reading some stuff in the archive 'bout this).

Realistically, there is no reason they should deteriorate. But glass isn't exactly recommended to prevent deterioration. Two other reasons instead. One, to make it that much less likely that they will get accidentally smudged - although over the years, the oil pastel probably has hardened to the point where it would take more than casual contact to smudge it. But more importantly perhaps is to keep dirt off the surface. With an oil or acrylic painting, you can varnish it, and cleaning the painting becomes a simple matter of removing the soiled layer of varnish and then applying a new one. An oil pastel will never dry to the extent where you can do this. However, it may well have dried to the point a barely damp cloth will clean it without damage; that I couldn't say, as I don't have anything in oil pastel more than a year old.

lisilk
01-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Welcome to Wetcanvas !

Well you have a natural ability with OP's so please pick them up more often.

Both are very well done. Love the looseness, almost abstract quality of the first. Deep contrasts and vibrancy of the second.

More !

Cheers,

Li