PDA

View Full Version : Am I pricing this too high???

SunshineyChelle
01-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Evenin' all!

Last week I put up a watercolor painting I did of a crystal bowl with purple grapes (from RIL by Muscreate). It got plenty of views (for me, anyway) the first week, but no bids. So, I relisted it and it ends tomorrow. This week I'm having WAY less views, but a few that have looked several times.

I'm wondering if I priced it too high for what it is?? I know people typically spend more on oils and acrylics...so is $25.00 too much for a watercolor by someone with small feedback??

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3651500613&category=20158

I've got a little less than a day left on it, and I'm not sure whether to relist it if it doesn't sell. If I relist is, what changes should I make to it to market it better? Or is it really just the old adage, that the right buyer just hasn't come along yet?

I value you're advice! Don't be too gentle either, if need be!

Thanks,
Michelle

ElizaLeahy
01-10-2004, 11:50 PM
I don't think it's too high, but it might be a little high for a starting bid. Maybe try $19.99 and let them bid up.

One thing I definatly would change - don't show the side view with it tacked onto a board with some sticky paper. Yes, we know that's what they look like, but we are artists. People don't WANT to know that. Instead, if you can show it as it will look after they have put a frame around it - thats what they prefer to look at.

You have to think like someone who is not an artist when you are selling art - you have to think like your buyer.

"Size: 9 x 10 paper (painting is 7 1/2 x 6 1/4 with a 1 1/2 inch white border around, allowing for no matting when framing if chosen)"

Sounds confusing - you aren't allowing for matting? That's what the "no matting" sounds like. "So you won't need matting" is the way it should read. However, matting doesn't cost much more in framing and makes something look incredible - so I wouldn't put it into their heads that they don't need matting.

Are you sure about $9 shipping? That sounds high to me, but I'm not in the US so I don't know.

You have 3 feedback, so I think that saying that your feedback is excellent is a little odd. Wait until you have more.

Hope this all helps.

PS probably won't help to say that my painting of this picture in oil never sold. It's on my wall waiting for my mums church yearly fundraiser so I can donate it!

SunshineyChelle
01-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Eliza,

Thanks for your input. I think you're spot on, too. The things you commented on (size description and picture) were things I wondered about myself, but wasn't sure.

The $9 shipping automatically covers priority postage, insurance, delivery confirmation and shipping material...I probably could shed a dollar off, but not much. And I just dont feel comfy selling without insurance and del.confirmation..

lol about having the same painting that didn't sell.... guess it's just something about the picture we love, as artists! If it ends up on my wall, that's fine too!

:D

Thanks for looking and taking time to give me advice. I've admired your ebay selling the past several months!
Michelle

dorith
01-11-2004, 12:42 AM
hi michelle,

nice painting!
at the moment, since you haven't been selling that much yet on ebay, it takes a while to establish yourself there - so you might just need to relist it, till the right person comes along. i've noticed that it doesn't really make a difference what the starting price is - either someone is going to buy it , or they aren't.
that said, what struck me first, was that there aren't any deep darks in your painting - it needs a lot of contrast, if it's supposed to "pop", especially when the first thing that will get people to your auction is the little picture beside your listing, in a list of hundreds of paintings.
so maybe darken those shadows and add a deep dark shadow under the bowl to "set" the bowl on the table...

the price is really o.k. - you just have to have the right person get up in the morning to see your auction.
i have been totally amazed in the last two weeks, on what people will pay for things - and quite a few of them i myself wouldn't ever buy, even though i painted them myself...(so i'm not quite sure, if i should be ashamed of myself or proud of myself... :rolleyes: )
so in my opinion, it just depends on who's looking...
oh, and maybe your shipping is a bit high...just check out other similar auctions and see what they charge. if you need to, you can always raise your starting bid a bit, to cover your expenses - and who knows, a lot of times things that didn't sell the first time around on my auctions, went for a LOT more when i relisted them with a higher starting price. :confused:

TeAnne
01-11-2004, 01:52 AM
I wish I could spare 25 dollars. It's lovely :D

JamesPicton
01-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Hi Michelle,
I think that the painting is well executed and very competitively priced. You can't afford to give this stuff away, after all you have put in a great deal of effort. The right buyer will come along!

Cheers
Jimbo

wayfarer
01-11-2004, 10:05 AM
The W & S paints are actually the student grade of Winsor and Newton, though some may say that the quality if good for a student grade paint. Saying professional artist paper and then having the student grade paint is a bit confusing to someone that would know the difference.

I agree about the $19.99 price. Little more approachable. And do have to agree as well that $9.00 seems a bit high for shipping, for an unmatted work.

All that said, the work is lovely. You did such a nice job with the cut glass!

Chris

SunshineyChelle
01-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Dorith, I think you're right about the darks to add more contrast. Although, I did brighten the picture a bit to make it show up better from the digital picture. So, I don't think it's quite washed out as much. Since you and Eliza both mentioned about the shipping, I'll recalculate my costs on it and see.

TeAnne.. thanks for the thought, though! There's been many of yours I felt the same way about!!! :D

Jimbo... thanks so much!

Thanks to all who took the time to look and comment. It really does help to get another set of eyes (and brains!) to see what I've been overlooking.

Thanks!
Michelle

SunshineyChelle
01-11-2004, 10:16 AM
The W & S paints are actually the student grade of Winsor and Newton, though some may say that the quality if good for a student grade paint. Saying professional artist paper and then having the student grade paint is a bit confusing to someone that would know the difference.

I agree about the $19.99 price. Little more approachable. And do have to agree as well that $9.00 seems a bit high for shipping, for an unmatted work.

All that said, the work is lovely. You did such a nice job with the cut glass!

Chris

Chris, thanks for looking and commenting. I hated to put that Cotman paint was used on it, but I still have some and used it. I've only been doing watercolor for a year, and unfortunately I've not gotten switched over to all WN. Consensus seems to agree about the price at 19.99 too.

Thanks for taking time to help!

Michelle

Salairawns
01-11-2004, 01:29 PM
The painting is attractive, the grapes juicy. I think the 25 price is fine. If you lower the price to 19, maybe add a Buy It Now price of 25 or 30 dollars.
Celena

ale.l
01-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Hi, I've seen your painting and believe me it's gorgeous. The price is not high at all, to the contrary. Maybe even the fb is not so much of a problem. I am saying this because I've had an experience where I had one fb and my price of 29 I think was pushed up to 71 dollars. Now I've had 3 paintings for days on ebay and none are getting any bids :)

I've just added two more - because there seems to be no rules on ebay. I've been monitoring other watercolorists and they are not having much joy either. It's just a funny time of the year I think.

SunshineyChelle
01-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Thanks Celena and ale.l for taking time to look and comment. I appreciate your complements too! The painting was fun to do.

Eh well, if I end up keeping the painting it's okay... so far it's my favorite and I wouldn't mind getting it matted and framed anyway!! :)

I've learned a lot from the comments on this thread though, to put forth on my next auctions.

Thanks for the support.

Michelle

Sumafra
01-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Michelle, the painting is absolutely lovely and I don't think the price is too high. Just be patient, the right buyer just hasn't come along yet. Maybe wait a few weeks and list it again. It will sell, it's just a matter of when.