PDA

View Full Version : What size would you prefer?

Lady Rando
01-09-2004, 04:01 PM
My husband and I are planning on expanding our studio to include printing wide format Giclee's of not only my art but also other artist work. We will be able to offer the prints at a very reasonable price. We know which company we plan to purchase our wide format printer and wide format scanner from, what we are trying to decide is whether we want the 24" or the 44" wide printer. Although we don't mind spending the extra for the larger printer we do want to make sure that other artist actually want prints that size. (Which, by the way, are breathtakingly beautiful!) So, here is what I would like to know from all of you:

If we can offer Giclee’s at around .12 cents a square inch on canvas and around .10 cents an inch on 140lb watercolor paper, would you be interested in having prints larger than 24” done or would you only have prints done that are 24 inches or less?

madmum
01-09-2004, 04:18 PM
OMG Tamara you gave me a heart attack! lol That title is an eye-catcher for sure ;)

Seriously, I think your idea is great! I never really thought about size, but I can't imagine my work being printed larger than the size I can paint, which is limited to 22 x 30 by watercolour paper sheets. Oil painters might have a different view?

Ruth

JoyJoyJoy
01-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Over 24 inches would seem to me to be more of a poster than a print. I am an oil painter, and cannot see ordering or selling prints of my work at larger than a 24 inch format. However, you might consider getting the larger size printer, with the idea that you can also do work for the poster market.

I encourage you to consider buying the larger format printer. Business wise, it makes sense... to not limit yourself to one type of customer base (artist's prints). You will already have so much money invested (scanner, printer, etc), and the same base expenses (utilities, rent, personel, marketing, etc)... and perhaps a few hundred dollars for a larger printer would greatly expand your ability to get a return on that investment by opening up more and varied markets for your products... such as posters and temporary signs.

Signs?... for example, my husband recently needed several signs for his trade show booth... he owns a dance studio. He wanted my computer-drawn, digital images run out on paper (too large for my home printer), then I would glue them to foam core board so they could stand up on the table or attach to the booth curtain. Roughly, they were 3ft X 1ft, 1ft X 8in, and a stand-up graphic of dancers 2.5ft X 3.5ft. The price we were quoted for just printing out one of each, at those sizes on paper, was $365... and we live in a very inexpensive, rural area.

Off the top of my head, customers you might approach or market to for poster sales could be: (1) community theatres (advertising their plays and events);
(2) high school and college sports teams (Need that size to get all the kids on, and parents might buy. Teams could use as fund-raisers);
(3) retail stores (for example, grocery stores are often desperate for themed groups of big, colorful hanging signs for "Hawaiian Days" or similar themes. You could design them yourself, or hire another artist. Private message me if you want more info on how grocery stores buy such work.)
(4) city and community organizations that hold large, public, organized events (posters for art/craft fairs, city/town fairs, tourist-attracting area-wide events)
(5) graphic artists that produce work for these markets

I worked for 16 years at a graphic studio. Two things the shop offered was scanning (before the equipment was so inexpensive as now) and several types of non-press printing (like you will be offering). During the years, we watched almost all our area competition go belly-up. We remained profitable because my boss always stayed one step ahead of them, by buying equipment that did more than was absolutely necessary. So, for that extra few thousand dollar investment (in his case) with each equipment purchase, he always had the ability to do more than the competition... and to sell to many kinds of markets.

Wishing you much success on your business!

Nance

Sumafra
01-11-2004, 08:06 PM
I cannot see myself ever wanting a print that was wider than 24", however, Tamara makes a good point. I guess your decision should depend upon how much the difference is between the two printers and who you intend your clients to be.