PDA

View Full Version : Selling overseas - complications? customs?

flax99
01-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi,

A question about shipping overseas...

I want to be able to sell to anybody on eBay, from any country. I plan to use flat shipping rates in my auctions (one flat rate for domestic, another for international, both always including insurance). I'm in the US, so I'm looking at using Priority Mail for domestic shipping, and insured International Express for out of the U.S. (Can't insure the cheaper International Priority Mail, unfortunately.)

My only problem is I have no idea what's the deal with customs forms and all that business. Are there fees the person sending the item has to pay, or is it only on the recipient's side? How does that work? Could someone explain it for me, please?

Thanks!

flax99
slowly inching toward selling on eBay...

Blue Cc
01-09-2004, 05:17 PM
The person receiving the item pays the customs.
I paid 20% from Italy.

You have to fill out the custom papers, based on
the weight. The post office will give you the forms
so you can see what you have to fill in.
Hope this helps,
Cathy

madmum
01-09-2004, 05:35 PM
So far, in the UK receiving paintings/drawings/sculptures with values up to $25 from USA I haven't had to pay any customs duty. I have never heard of my buyers in the US having to pay duty, either. The forms I have filled in have asked for what the package contains and the value.

Wise decision to insure your parcels by default!

Ruth

surreal
01-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Hi,
I ship overseas from where I live, in America, quite often.

It is a very simple process to ship overseas.

There is a short customs form to fill out.

*Sorry, I have to leave work now, and therefore this is a very brief message!*

:D

TeAnne
01-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Don't have any customs worries here either. (Australia) Have sent quite a few to Canada & US

ElizaLeahy
01-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Shipping over seas is easy. You fill out the customs form and send the package.

But a few clues...

They might want you to tick "gift" so that they don't have to pay fees - I always do that anyway.

Some countries (like Germany) don't offer insurance. I haven't found that to be a problem, I just let the customer know.

Where possible ALWAYS INSURE. Especially for gallery wrapped paintings. I've had one where one of the wooden sides was broken - it looked like someone had SAT on it, and when it was open there was a styofoam coffee cup inside! And one was stabbed - right through the packaging, right through the canvas. But I figure that as I've sold over 200 paintings now that's not too bad.

kjsspot
01-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Umm... You might want to spend some time checking the prices to various countries before using a fixed rate international. I've had some countries where the shipping for the same item would vary by hundreds of $$.

TeAnne
01-09-2004, 08:42 PM
it looked like someone had SAT on it, and when it was open there was a styofoam coffee cup inside! And one was stabbed - right through the packaging, right through the canvas. But I figure that as I've sold over 200 paintings now that's not too bad.
How did the coffee cup get inside? :eek: :confused:

ElizaLeahy
01-09-2004, 09:09 PM
How did the coffee cup get inside? :eek: :confused:

We can only assume that some fat arsed moron sat on it, broke it, unwrapped it to see what he had done, rewrapped it without noticing that his cup had been caught up inside.

It wasn't delivered to the person by hand as it should have been either - they put it on the porch, rang the doorbell, and by the time she opened the door all she saw was the back of a white van driving away.

CarlyHardy
01-09-2004, 09:15 PM
I've also shipped to Germany, England, Argentina, Canada, and Australia without any problems...but setting an international fee might not be a good idea. I find that using the usps.com site and offering the client options for shipping works well. I've found that international customers don't mind waiting longer to receive shipments...and they also don't mind paying more for the shipping when they want it faster!

As Surreal mentioned, not all countries have insurance. I don't remember how I shipped to Argentina, but I could get a confirmation on delivery there.

We are spoiled in the US with our low shipping fees! :)

carly

flax99
01-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Wow, great information, thanks everyone!

It's good to know that customs duties, at least, are not an issue for the sender.

Hmm, I'll have to think about what to do about countries where you can't insure your shipment. I can hardly say I'll ship everywhere except Germany! I hate the idea of shipping without insurance, and I have read the old threads about certain difficult customers from that part of the world! Hmm, what to do, what to do...

Funny thing is, when I use the international rate calculator on usps.gov, they don't say I can't buy insurance to Germany. The Global Express rate calculator cheerfully tacked on insurance without a burp. Confusing.

flax99

ElizaLeahy
01-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Wow, great information, thanks everyone!

Funny thing is, when I use the international rate calculator on usps.gov, they don't say I can't buy insurance to Germany. The Global Express rate calculator cheerfully tacked on insurance without a burp. Confusing.

flax99

Phone and check. Maybe they do from America. I know that they don't from Australia, but you better check.

wayfarer
01-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Defintely check the rates. Varies country to country quite widely. The one thing that did spook me from international sales was the cost of shipping. Thinking that if I did offer shipping with insurance that the shipping cost would exceed the cost of my artwork. Not much of a sell.

Wondering too about insurance claims. For regular US delivery you have to get an affadavit signed by the recipent after 30 days. Is there the same hassle with international insurance claims?

Chris