PDA

View Full Version : a little discipline

moonraven
01-09-2004, 01:01 PM
I was interested in all the posts having to do with motivating yourself to do your art. I don't want to be a grouch here, but motivating yourself often means going to your studio and doing something, anything. Sometimes it is like punishment for me to leave the security of my nest to go to "work" but when I walk in the door of the studio and see all my "toys" and all my reference books and pieces of driftwood and other props, I am suddenly inspired. So I say, if you have trouble jumpstarting yourself, take a phrase from Nike. JUST DO IT!
Not every painting begins with inpiration and not every inpiration ends up being what we had in mind. Sometimes it is even better than what we had in mind. So don't drink wine, hypnotize yourself, or wait for the divine inpiration to hit you like a thunderbolt. Get up and go to your place of work and BEGIN. Nothing trips the old creativity switch like beginning. :clap: :clap:

RobinZ
01-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Why are you lecturing me? How do you know I drink wine? Hmmmmm........ :D Just kidding.

I am lucky, I am not reallly very creative, so no divine inspiration to wait for. I have absolutely no problem working on my art when I have time to do it. Except for the time I waste here, lol., which I still consider a net gain for 2 reasons....1, I've learned soooo much and 2, I need to "talk" sometimes, being that I dont' have an outside job.

Precious Mazie
01-09-2004, 09:16 PM
"just do it!" Well said, but a little wine never hurt!

Yokovich
01-14-2004, 11:01 PM
--- I worked for that company for years and that slogan gives me a pain in the rear! lol lol well alright alright, it IS a good slogan because it is essentially the sentiment of this Goethe couplet:
"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius magic and power in it. Begin it now."

Ara
01-15-2004, 07:22 AM
Yeah moonraven, you have a good thread going here. You are right.

One of the things that helped me get some art work done was receiving a drawing journal as a gift last month. So now I can do 5 minute sketches in the down times between detailed canvases.

You like driftwood? What type of art do you do?

-Ara

Shehaub
01-15-2004, 02:05 PM
I had an accidental breakthrough. I moved my art stuff to a very large corner of the basement. The laundry room just happens to be down there as well, so I find that between loads, I get sucked into my art space.

Eugene Veszely
01-16-2004, 08:48 AM
I'd rather have enthusiasm than discipline :)

Precious Mazie
01-16-2004, 10:58 AM
1chameleon...."I'd rather have enthusiasm than discipline " Me Too! but some times you have to have dicipline to recover the lost enthusiasm or to get a commision done on time. I get enthusiastic about every thing new I see in art, start it and then.....to get it finished thats where the gift of discipline come in! I thing these two principles go hand in hand.

Shehaub...I envy you wish I could have a place of my own to do art. Since we travel so much my place is more often than not a motel room. I bring my computer, my cameras and my mobile art studio (a french easel and some canvas bags full of supplies.) I often feel sorry for my hubby who has to tote all the stuff in and out of the room evey time we have to go! Bet you will get lots of "works of fine art" started and completed there!!!

Ara...I love my sketch books and take one everywhere I go. I even draw in the car when we travel, in restaurants, in parks, in doctors waiting rooms. Even in factories there is always something to draw!

Eugene Veszely
01-17-2004, 09:27 AM
I have neither, so life is real fun :rolleyes: not.

Toadie
01-18-2004, 09:35 AM
I am sorry I dont drink wine, but I do have to have my beer :D

I have slumps and I tried just picking up a canvas and putting colors on it but well became exspensive...:) Now I come here and flop around a bit, sometimes it helps. Or I will go out and play with the goats, or chickens.
After working on a painting for a while my eyes are too involved with the color soo I will go out lay in the grass and stare at the sky or take a walk to the pond in the pasture next door....:)
I hope we never move from here

Yokovich
01-28-2004, 12:58 PM
I hope we never move from here
angel--texas is beautiful

Aardvark
03-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Get up and go to your place of work and BEGIN. Nothing trips the old creativity switch like beginning.

Well said! My own philosophy is: "It's easier to start with something than nothing." I try to leave a canvas blank only long enough to walk over and put a mark on it... after which it's not a scary blank canvas anymore... it's just a thing that's been started. Much easier to take.

Another thought--something my mother always used to tell me: Don't try to eat the elephant in one bite. (Start with the toes and chew thoroughly before moving on! ;) )

DevineCreative
03-24-2004, 12:47 AM
I'd rather have enthusiasm than discipline :)
I agree with you on that. The only thing is, enthusiasm isn't usually a premanent state of being. Discipline however, will get you in front of the canvas to pick up a brush to paint the painting that creates the enuthusiasm. Enuthusiasm is spreadable.

Pamela

gwacie
03-24-2004, 11:44 AM
For me the discipline can indeed refocus the enthusiasm. When I'm feeling a bit lazy but I still want to work I clean my studio, reorganize bits and parts, and soon, while playing with the toys (under the guise of cleaning up) I'm back to work. And even if that day doesn't become a 'creation' day, I've the added benefit of a nice perfect workspace for the next time I AM creating.

I just have to stay away from the stupid tele and those style/home shows. They suck out the brain, I swear they do. Get to the studio, that's the key for me.