PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel

penguinjen
01-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Hello,
I am not sure if this question should be in pastel or oil painting... I am working on a painting using oil pastel (just to try it) and am curious on whether or not it needs any type of sealer when I am done? It doesn't appear to "dry" like a paint and I know when I use chalk pastels, I spray them with a fixative at the end (and sometimes in between in stages)...any advice would be GREAT!
Thanks,
Jen

Dyin
01-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi Jen, welcome to WC...and this is the place!!! Yay, another oil pastellist! First, oil pastels never truly dry, although they get a skin and can handle a light touch....but fixatives are really not used and could even ruin it...so be sure and tell a framer, they're framed behind glass normally. Next, we'd love to see what you have and I'd like to direct you to the Pastel Library...you can find it above the threads. There's one called Oil Pastel info that has TONS of stuff on it and if you go into the library...way down below the soft pastels you'll find a whole bunch of oil pastel topics.

Marc Sabatella
01-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Hello,
I am not sure if this question should be in pastel or oil painting... I am working on a painting using oil pastel (just to try it) and am curious on whether or not it needs any type of sealer when I am done? It doesn't appear to "dry" like a paint and I know when I use chalk pastels, I spray them with a fixative at the end (and sometimes in between in stages)...any advice would be GREAT!
Thanks,
Jen

There *are* fixatives for oil pastels, but hardly anyone I've ever heard of uses them. True, oil pastels don't cure as oil paints do, but as long as they are framed under glass, that pastel isn't going anywhere, so there is nothing to be gained by fixing them.

For that matter, relatively few soft pastellists (note - not "chalk pastels" - they are not made of chalk) use fixative, either, except in between stages as you mention. Framing under glass is usually sufficient protection for this finished painting, although indeed, sometimes a little comes off the painting is bumped and this may soil a mat. Fixative doesn't prevent a pastel painting from smudging, and it changes the colors considerably. To be sure, some artists *do* use it even at the end of a painting. But don't assume it is a neccessity - I'm almost positive that more *don't* than *do*.

MKathleen
01-09-2004, 02:29 PM
:)Hello Jen:
Looks like Dyin and Marc have covered the fixitive question...so I'll just say Welcome to The Pastel Forum.:)
Kathy

penguinjen
01-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Thank you all... and I did know better than to call pastels a chalk..it's Friday and I am fried! (not literally, but my brain didn't think)... I have some pastel portraits on my website that I have done in the past and did have them framed under glass. ( http://www.jlstockman.com ) so, oil pastel should be under glass as well? Ok, that makes sense.
Thank you again! I love to use many different mediums, so I am constantly trying something!
Thanks again! I will browse around more this weekend!
Jen