PDA

View Full Version : Hello from India!

Cheena K
01-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Hi!
I just did this quick sketch of my dog ( b.t.w his name is muttley!) from a photograph. I want to make it in pastels, but have used watercolor for the underpainting (it's a very quick and somewhat incomplete thing as of now). I know the colors are not very realistic. Finally gathered some courage to post my first sketch , pl. give me some tips. I am still a beginner...

Getting a li'l apprehensive now...very new to pastels...I think I'll make it on a pastel sheet instead, this one is a cartridge from my sketch book...

Thanks!
Cheena

Madder
01-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Hi and Welcome!
This is a LOVELY portrait. Not only a good rendering of dog but the expression is terrific and so touching. You also let the watercolor medium work for you, those brushstrokes really work well for the hair. I bet you could do something similar with pastels, side strokes, nice and confident.
Hope to see a pastel version soon!
Madder

Dyin
01-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Hi Cheena! Welcome to the forum....this guy is just oozing with character and would translate sooooo well with pastels! Using good paper will help hold layers better and I think really that it will come out very well after seeing this. You managed to catch a lot without overworking it. Don't be nervous...everyone here is really friendly and helpful. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Kathryn Wilson
01-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Hi! A very nice and loose painting - you obviously were very confident in what you were doing and it shows. Just think of that pastel stick as a paintbrush and let it flow. :clap:

Dark_Shades
01-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Hi and Welcome...... yes can definately see the lovely water colour style in this..... you will be amazed when you start using Pastel Papers... dont forget to try out the textured kind too ........ nice work..... reminds me of Arcanjo's :)

eileenclaire
01-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Cheena, this is terrific! Muttley is adorable! Glad you gathered courage to post him, because he's got a lot of character. Hope to see him soon in pastels.

meowmeow
01-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Welcome! Very nice beginning...you handle watercolors well! Go ahead and try the pastels..you'll have fun with it. And if you don't try it you will never learn how!

Sandy

Cheena K
01-10-2004, 01:39 AM
Hi! A very nice and loose painting - you obviously were very confident in what you were doing and it shows. Just think of that pastel stick as a paintbrush and let it flow. :clap:

Hi Everybody!!

Thanks!! I really feel confident now, I think I can do it :)
Will work on the pastel one today and tomorrow. Hope to have something to show you very soon.

Have a great weekend!

Cheena

Mz_Sketch_Pad
01-11-2004, 03:21 PM
hello!! mutley is a cute dog- i like it the way it is! your pic has character!!