PDA

View Full Version : should I refund money...again?

jolie
01-09-2004, 04:34 AM
Hi everyone,

A month or two ago I sold a painting to someone from abroad. I quoted a shipping rate, based on what I was told by the post office over the phone. However, when I got to the post office, it was considerably less to ship (apparently there was an option the other person didn't mention). I shipped it the cheaper way, which was still just as good a service, and notified the buyer that I was offering them a partial refund on shipping (and explained why). It has been in my Paypal account waiting to be claimed for ages, and today I got a notice from Paypal that it has been refused...no explantion from the buyer at all. I received positive feedback from this customer and they have never acknowledged the offer of a shipping refund. I don't konw whether to assume it was a mistake and re-submit it, email them and ask if they meant to refuse, or just let it go and assume they didn't think it was worth bothering with...what do you guys think?

Jolie

ale.l
01-09-2004, 05:07 AM
I personally don't like having any loose ends - which means I'd write to the person and ask if that was what he/she wanted.

It's probably a case of not being bothered too much about the refund and maybe he/she didn't want to sound too boastful.

I'd write to clarify and the person will find it a nice gesture on your part and maybe buy from you again :)

little weasel me

madmum
01-09-2004, 05:16 AM
I had the exact same thing happen, I refunded through paypal, and they never accepted it. I haven't been back in touch with them, though, I figured that since I told them I would refund the difference, they should have checked their paypal account!

I also had something similar with a buyer in Austria, he paid with an international money order, I mailed the painting, but it was cheaper than I expected so I offered him the difference off any future purchase. He's never been back, although he did leave good feedback.

RUth

TeAnne
01-09-2004, 05:48 AM
Bonus for you if they don't want it :)
But I hate it when there is no email to say they have received :(

deborahbart
01-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Hi Jolie

I would email them again and offer them the credit against other purchases. I seem to often get overpaid by people, and I offer either to refund or credit. They ALWAYS take the credit option. I think some people find talking about money embarrassing. I know I can :)

teresasart
01-09-2004, 12:02 PM
I agree, I'd send them an email just to be sure this was how they wanted to hanle it. I've had people send me a little extra a couple of times, and I offered to refund the difference. Each time they seemed pleased and surprised that I offered, left me positive feedback, and just said not to bother refunding it or to deduct it from the shipping on a future purchase.

Teresa

jolie
01-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Is there a time limit that Paypal keeps the transaction open? I had assumed that the buyer went in and manually refused the refund. It never occurred to me that Paypal auctomatically counts it as a refusal if they don't bother to sign in and claim it by a certain date. It just seems weird, as I mentioned it 2 or 3 times...once when I made the offer, once when I was contacting him about a different thing, and once when I sent an email telling him it was done. I would assume Paypal sent at least one notice too.

I think I'm leaning toward emailing him to ask if he intended to refuse the payment. I appreciate the responses, but it seems you are split down the middle with what you would do, so it's a matter of what I feel more comfortable with. I'll decide this weekend after I've had a bit of sleep...going back to work after the holidays is always so hard and I'm a zombie! LOL

Jolie

LazyEights
01-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Maybe just take charge of the situation. Mail her a check or money order and consider things fairly concluded?

Lazy

CarlyHardy
01-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Since you have doubts, then email them to clear up any misunderstanding on their part about the refund. You might word it something like this....

After checking my PayPal account, I see that your refund was refused. If you overlooked the refund, please let me know and I'll submit it again or I will be happy to give you credit on any future purchase in the amount of $xx. Thanks again for choosing one of my paintings at Ebay!

This gives them an option...but if they don't reply...I'd just make a note of the amount and if they do purchase again, give them the credit. I once had a buyer pay too much for shipping and I offered a refund or a credit....he told me to keep it, he felt bad that he had bought my art so cheap anyway! LOL
carly