PDA

View Full Version : Post Mortum requested

madmum
01-08-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm gutted. 3 auctions for art I was very happy with, which dozens of people told me they loved (not just liked). 2 of them I had FP'd. Yet only one sold, for the starting bid. The 2 FP's had 180+ and 250+ views each, the other 60+

So, what could I have done to sell them all, or even get a better price for the one that did sell?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20158&item=3650648316

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20158&item=3650650173

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20158&item=3650649584

I really feel disheartened. :crying:

Ruth

M.A.
01-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Take heart (((Ruth))) ... your work is wonderful :)

I have a couple of suggestions but take them with a grain of salt, please.

1. I think you might consider posting your work in one currency only for a while ... it may be confusing to people who might like to acquire the trio if they have to figure out exchange rates etc. Perhaps you need to decide or experiment to determine your focus market (is it a US market or a UK market?)

2. Open a store ... put a decent price on your originals and auction off prints.

Chin to the wind.

Best regards,
Mary-Ann

madmum
01-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Thanks, MA. I thought listing on both the UK site and the US site would increase exposure, an expensive experiment I won't repeat. It seems UK buyers are more willing to buy from the US site than vice-versa. The problem with listing on .com is that the exchange rate fluctuates and I can never know how much that $50 sale will actually be worth to me!

I do have a store, and prints are in the planning stage, as soon as I have enough money to buy a good quality printer!

Ruth

M.A.
01-08-2004, 05:08 PM
What about opening a CafeShop to get the print end of things started? I'm experimenting with one right now ... I had one for a while last year ... I've directed a couple of domains that I own to the cafepress ... in a way, it acts as a means to showcase your original art ... I'm thinking of getting rid of my actual site and just using that for a while, pointing my domain to it. I'm just experimenting with it right now (primarily because I don't have a lot of time) but I figure this way, if anyone is interested to look at some of my work, they can view it there and if anyone likes it, they can pick up a card or journal or whatever ... in any event, just some thoughts. Here's a link to the shop I opened up last week: http://www.cafeshops.com/fun2cook it needs a lot more tweaking but its a start ... maybe one that could work for you. :)

Sumafra
01-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Ruth, the pieces are VERY nice and I don't know why 2 didn't sell. I notice that the piece that sold had a starting price of $49 US and the other two pieces showed a starting price of 29 lbs. Did you list them differently or is that what the system did? I think americans find it easier to shop when the money is shown in US funds. Then they don't have to worry about 'how much is it for me'. Anyway, take heart. I'm sure they'll sell if you list them again.

ale.l
01-08-2004, 05:39 PM
I'm sure it's not your paintings Ruth. They are superb. And I don't think it's the pounds or dollars, don't the prices show in both currencies? I think I saw that. If I want to buy something I won't be distracted with a pound amount.. buyers are not that stupid not to know at least the exact ratio I think. It's just the time, no one is selling.. I just searched 4wc and only fagan has a bid for about 9 dollars I think. No one else! I believe it's oversaturation with the holidays. I am also a beginner here and don't know whether it will pick up in Feb.. hopefully yes :) Cheer up.

madmum
01-08-2004, 05:49 PM
MA I have looked at cafepress a few times, and don't quite understand how they work for overseas customers? If anyone in the UK uses them I'd be very interested to know how they get on with it!

I did list on the 2 different sites, but I won't in future. I do seem to sell more to the USA, but some found me through the UK site!

Yes, Ale, the price in dollars does show underneath the pounds. I also include the shipping price in dollars further down the auction, so it isn't THAT hard to work out ;) I'm inclined to agree, ebay is extremely short of genuine buyers with money in their pockets! I'll have to consider the 2 that didn't sell as stock for spring :D

One good thing, I didn't lose on the listing fees! The sale of one will cover them (just about).

Ruth

M.A.
01-08-2004, 05:52 PM
fyi - the starting prices only showed in pounds on eBay for me ... no Cdn or US equivalent showed up at all ... just some food for thought. (Although sometimes they do ... guess it depends on how a viewer gets to your auction).

CafePress has a free offer ... you can try it and find out ... nothing ventured, nothing gained :)

wayfarer
01-08-2004, 05:55 PM
curious what people's opinions are of CafePress prints? I have other items and have seen them, but not the prints from CafePress.

Chris

madmum
01-08-2004, 06:05 PM
MA your cafepress store looks great! I wondered about the cost of shipping, it seems quite high (to Europe it's $7 for the first item, and $4 for every subsequent item ordered). Maybe for larger items it wouldn't be overly expensive, but for calendars or prints it would put me off.

Ruth

M.A.
01-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks Ruth. That's a good point about the shipping costs but they pack items very well. ;)

Chris, regarding the prints, I haven't ordered any of them yet so I can't speak about their quality. I think the most important thing to remember when creating your items is to use the .PNG file format.

I did order some other items last year when I had a store and overall was quite impressed with the quality of the products they make.

pampe
01-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Ruth

If anyone knew the answer, we'd be rich

Some days I am amazed that they don't sell with 200-400 views and FP.....but they don't

You have to remember that with EBAY, the only sure thing is that there are no sure things.

The paintings are lovely.....

Cafe Press...I had a store there last year....sold one shirt......then couldn't get the money beacuae they have a minimun

I ordered several of the products myself to check the quality...some things were good, some were not....I know it works for some folks whose work is conducive the that type item....I'm just not so sure. Maybe the quality is better now. Mary Ann's stuff looks great.

The main problem as I see it was the margin....very little money made by the artist.

I did half my listings FP last year......not sure I'll do that again.

JoyJoyJoy
01-09-2004, 08:35 AM
I really feel disheartened. :crying:

Ruth

Ruth...

Please do not get down about this. Your three paintings are just beautiful, and your auctions look great. Lack of sales is certainly no reflection on your work!

Right after Christmas, I listed six or seven paintings... about one a day (one FP). Although I can usually count on bids on at least half, even count on selling a few from this group, I have had only one bid... and that was my husband, who placed a one dollar bid to make sure eBay was working! (That is how surprised I was at absolutely no bids!) None of my pieces are as wonderful as yours... they are just an assortment of practice things I did in December, as I am teaching myself some new techniques and brushwork.

When sales on eBay are slow, I remind myself of my experience as a women's wear buyer (in my way, way back youth). The small, independent women's store I worked in was in Michigan, where there are really only two weather seasons... summer and winter. So, from January through April... a good one-third of the selling year... the store was full of beautiful spring/summer clothing (that I had hand picked), but few sales. During these months, we could not even make payroll, never mind pay the wholesalers for all the merchandise we had! Also, four months of total boredom... yuck! But, then, when the weather warmed up nicely in May, out came the customers... and up went the sales.

So, it is not your merchandise (paintings) or your marketing, but perhaps that the customers are just not ready to buy. Let's just keep making art and listing... Paint and they will come! HAHAHA.

Nance

madmum
01-09-2004, 09:12 AM
I feel happier this morning, I will keep repeating all the things said here, it's just ebay, paint and they will come (LOL! :D ).

I'm also going to learn not to feel personally offended when a painting I am proud of doesn't sell.

Ruth

jocelynsart
01-10-2004, 06:45 AM
Hi Ruth:
I love these, as many do! They are beautiful and I wish I could spend more money after I saw them! I know, that does nto help you here. lol
What I think is most likely a reason is their size. It is often the same reason I have trouble selling. I have sacrificed size to be able to work the way I work. If they had been 11x14 probably alot more people may have considered them. I am sure alot liked them though. It is not your imagery or quality of work that people are not buying I am sure. Also, they need to be framed and some don't want that unknown expense.
Is the Sterling Pound not worth more than the US$? I was wondering a few months ago why a UK person would want to list in the US eBay site. They are receiving less on the dollar for their ending price than they would listing it in pounds. For me, to buy 1 pound is about 2.34 Cad. In the States it would be just under $2 roughly. So, in order to make what you should on your work, you'd have to up the price a bit when listing in US ebay.
Is it more beneficial to hits to list on eBay.com?
Joss

madmum
01-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, Joss. I struggle with "standard sizes". What exactly IS standard in the US? It seems to be different in the UK. I know about the framing issue, something I can do nothing about, I'm not about to change to acrylics since my first and only love is to paint in watercolor! :)

You're right about the exchange rates too. $50 US is less than 30 GB, but I get alot more views on ebay.com than .co.uk, and also bids from US buyers are more likely when you list in dollars (no offense, but Americans in general don't have a clue about currencies outside of America!)

Anyway, onward and upwards! I have a bid on the orange poppy, and I need to list a landscape I did last week, and I'll relist the 2 other dandelions on ebay.com ;)

Ruth

ejmstudios
01-12-2004, 11:31 AM
I found this list one a framing site. The common ones are ones the someone could probably find a mat and frame for at a local arts and crafts type store. I try to stick to 5x7, 8 x 10, 11x14 and 16 x 20 for watercolor. Are the standard sizes different in the UK?

hth :)

Standard U.S. Frame Sizes:
4"x5"
4"x6" - common
6"x8"
5"x7" - common
8"x10" - common
8"x12"
8-1/2"x11"
9"x12"
10"x13"
11"x14" - common
12"x16"
14"x18"
16"x20" - common
20"x24" -common
22"x28"
24"x30"
24"x36"
30"x40"

madmum
01-12-2004, 04:50 PM
That is really useful information!

I noticed you don't have 12x10 on your list, and that is a common size in the UK. I'll have to remember it isn't the same in the US! I have to consider mat apertures too, a mat to fit a 14x11 frame in the UK would have an aperture 12x8, but I'm unsure of mats for a painting that size, probably 18x14. I'll have to research more and find the sizes which work on both sides of the pond!

Thank you!

Ruth