PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal vs Tragacanth gum for pastel

Osteomark
01-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Has anyone tried the oatmeal method for the binder for making pastels? What would be the pros and cons to each I wonder?

Mark

BruceF
01-07-2004, 04:35 PM
I've never heard of the oatmeal method. Do you have any links to information on it?

One downside I can immediately think of with using oatmeal is that a variety of bacteria, bugs and other little things would try to eat it over the years.

Osteomark
01-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Bruce,

I could see the bugs getting at it.

http://www.arttalk.com/artv0905-1.htm

there is another website too

Mark

BruceF
01-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Interesting article. I've been thinking about making some of my own pastels just for the fun of it. I think I'd go with the process presented in Ilis' article on here, though.

Craig Houghton
01-08-2004, 02:24 AM
One downside I can immediately think of with using oatmeal is that a variety of bacteria, bugs and other little things would try to eat it over the years.

On the other side though, they also eat tragacanth. In both cases it's recommended to add some sort of fungicide/preservative.

My advice is to go with the tragacanth. Pigment is far too expensive, and the process is far too tedious (I enjoy it, but it's still a lot of work) to incorporate an untested material. I'm not saying that oatmeal couldn't work, and in fact, it definitely should. Heck, just water alone is enough for some of the pigments.

Tragacanth may not be sold at the supermarket, but it's a great material and it does the job really really well. It's also easy to work with. You just add some warm water, stir, and let it sit for a while (actually, I cheat and shake the heck out of it in a jar with the water ever 5 minutes or so).

The only downside to tragacanth that I've heard of, is that some people may have allergic reactions to it. I wouldn't let this deter you though. It's just dried plant material that happens to be gummy.

Oh, and in case one doesn't have tragacanth around and would like to avoid mail-order, they can try the herb/health stores. Some stores carry it with their bulk herbs.

-Craig