PDA

View Full Version : Again, I notice fewer views of auctions :(

surreal
01-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi,
Once again, I am noticing fewer views of my auction listings within the last few days.

I realize that it could be my current listings that are not of great interest to ebay viewers! ;)

Some listings don't make for terrific gallery pics!
;)

What have you been experiencing as far as views go?
*forever curious*

TeAnne
01-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Nina, I don't get many looking in the Shop. :( That rose got 353 lookers though, that blew me away.

imaginethat
01-07-2004, 10:44 AM
My kid's paintings are getting more views than ever (sold two in the last few days for $72 and $94 - :clap: !). However, the folk art florals I'm trying out are getting very few views.

Phranque
01-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Perhaps people are not interested due to the time of year. A lot of folks are paying off Christmas bills or not spending money at the moment because they already spent their disposable income they had saved up.

rasputin7261
01-07-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't know why, but I've been getting a lot of looks in the past week. A lot more than I was getting in November and December. In December, I even had an FP going.

If there's one thing I've learned from a year on Ebay, it's that there is no rhyme or reason to it (that I have discovered, at least). So many factors go into someone seeing a piece they like and buying it.

I'm no expert, that's just my two cents....

Paintbrush74
01-07-2004, 06:43 PM
My views are pretty discouraging. I have an FP cat and some more stuff, which is not FP. The FP is almost 48 hours old and only has 26 views so far.

I'm probably one of the least popular artists on Ebay. I'm tempted to quit spending the money and just bow out, but then, why should I? I bowed out before; that was probably a mistake. I'll admit that it's tempting to look at my art and say, "It's just not that good so nobody wants it." :crying: But that's silly and defeatist.

Last January, I did pretty well. Then it dropped off, and I dropped out. I think that the really successful people have hung in there through thick and thin.

Lenora

surreal
01-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Nina, I don't get many looking in the Shop. :( That rose got 353 lookers though, that blew me away.

Hi Te,
I think that as long as you have paintings of flowers in your auction listings, that you will have bidders who look at the rose in your store.

In my short experience as an ebay store owner, I have observed that store items aren't viewed as much as auction items.

Your beautiful painting of the rose will be sold in time.
;)

surreal
01-08-2004, 12:12 AM
My views are pretty discouraging. I have an FP cat and some more stuff, which is not FP. The FP is almost 48 hours old and only has 26 views so far.

I'm probably one of the least popular artists on Ebay. I'm tempted to quit spending the money and just bow out, but then, why should I? I bowed out before; that was probably a mistake. I'll admit that it's tempting to look at my art and say, "It's just not that good so nobody wants it." :crying: But that's silly and defeatist.

Last January, I did pretty well. Then it dropped off, and I dropped out. I think that the really successful people have hung in there through thick and thin.

Lenora
Hi Lenora,
So sorry to hear that your FP has had so few views.
:(
I am sure that you are not one of the least popular artists on ebay. :)

Ebay sales do not measure the artistic value of works of art. Please keep this in mind.
:)

I have gone through bad patches selling on ebay. For me, ebay has been a bit like a roller coast ride, with its ups and downs.
;)

I hope you will hang in there!

ale.l
01-08-2004, 06:42 AM
Yes definately eBay now is slow and discouraging. I've been looking at some paintings there that have been returning and returning... not counting my own which have very few views and no bids at all :)

I sold two over the NY and I said "God, if they sold over the holidays they will surely sell better afterwards". I was wrong. I think it has to do with empty wallets and post-holiday/shopping season.

It's not got to do with quality or style I think. Every painting there finds its owner. The problem is how to match them :)))))

Don't dispare paintbrush. Your paintings are very nice and they have their walls waiting for them I'm sure.

Anyway, I was thinking - eBay is a nice outlet for us but not a place to which we can pin great hopes. We've been through this before: once you sell well and are happy - another time you don't sell but your listing fees accumulate and then eBay takes its dues and you are left at a break even point, if that. It all seems something like robbing Peter to pay Paul.. but it's fun and let it go on :) Maybe we have a good breakthrough once in a while. Just be careful that you are not paying them to take your paintings. I couldn't swollow that.
Sometimes it comes close to that -

TeAnne
01-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Hi Te,
I think that as long as you have paintings of flowers in your auction listings, that you will have bidders who look at the rose in your store.

In my short experience as an ebay store owner, I have observed that store items aren't viewed as much as auction items.

Your beautiful painting of the rose will be sold in time.
;)
Ohhhhhh I wish I had your confidence Nina lol Thanks.
I did lower the price and the resolution on the pics.

Paintbrush74
01-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks Surreal and Ale for your kind comments.

There are some quite successful people on Ebay. I know it takes aggressive marketing and some risk. It also takes a little willingness to initially let some paintings go for less than we wish.

But--I agree that it's bad to pay them to take your paintings. It's also a fairly sure way to see that some of your art (no matter how good it is) will end up in the circular file when the buyer tires of it or redecorates. Ouch! :mad:

I think that sometimes the things I tell myself can help or hurt my ambitions. It's easy to think that my work is not interesting, so nobody's clicking. The reality is that Ebay is swarming with art, some of it starting at a penny.
By the time the customer pays shipping for that one-penny art (in some cases $35 domestic), the prices aren't all that much less than mine. Hmmm... Perhaps we should politely, professionally point that out to said customer.

surreal
01-10-2004, 02:22 PM
There are some quite successful people on Ebay. I know it takes aggressive marketing and some risk. It also takes a little willingness to initially let some paintings go for less than we wish.

I agree with you very much about the above!

Careful strategizing is extremely important!

surreal
01-10-2004, 03:16 PM
The past 2 days have had frightfully few views for me on ebay!!!

Paintbrush74
01-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Same here Surreal. Hang in there!

surreal
01-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Same here Surreal. Hang in there!

Thank you.
I will hang in there.
I always do!
LOL

ElizaLeahy
01-10-2004, 04:54 PM
my views are VERY down. I have that program that goes "ding!" whenever anyone looks at my ebay items, and it's been very silent :(

arteitaliana
01-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Hits are down for me also. Final prices are 50% less that they were last year...there is a lot of competition on ebay, it's not as easy as it used to be and listing is expensive if you want to have half a chance to be noticed.
All we can do is try and paint the kind of work that people want to buy or try other venues, (or both).

TeAnne
01-11-2004, 02:23 AM
my views are VERY down. I have that program that goes "ding!" whenever anyone looks at my ebay items, and it's been very silent :(
You're doing some wicked paintings E :clap: :clap:
You have a bidder who bought my frangapani :D
so far so good :D

bobcue
01-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Hi,
Once again, I am noticing fewer views of my auction listings within the last few days.

I realize that it could be my current listings that are not of great interest to ebay viewers! ;)

Some listings don't make for terrific gallery pics!
;)

What have you been experiencing as far as views go?
*forever curious*
i havnt had many hits either teanne its not good in there...bobcue :(

ElizaLeahy
01-11-2004, 03:57 AM
You're doing some wicked paintings E :clap: :clap:
You have a bidder who bought my frangapani :D
so far so good :D

I really liked that nude of yours, she was very clasical and I thought it was an excellent painting.

I don't know exactly what I'm doing right, but it seemed that as soon as I started painting big things started working. I'm FPing just about every second painting and it does help a lot.

And we are saving up to buy an air conditioner. It's either that or move to another country!

TeAnne
01-11-2004, 04:51 AM
Thanks E :)
I see we have the same bidder again :D
I'm not FPing, I refuse to, ebay get enough of my money that I don't have.
I just dropped a few prices and I think, bids beget bids :D

surreal
01-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Hits are down for me also. Final prices are 50% less that they were last year...there is a lot of competition on ebay, it's not as easy as it used to be and listing is expensive if you want to have half a chance to be noticed.
All we can do is try and paint the kind of work that people want to buy or try other venues, (or both).

You spoke words of wisdom!

Paintbrush74
01-11-2004, 03:03 PM
I posted a cat (which I think is quite handsome OK?) on FP, and it's only gotten 63 views, with about 4 days to go. I posted a still life bunch of flowers, which had been done quickly and breezily, and it has 93 views and a bid, with about 22 hours to go. This can get really interesting sometimes. Okay I realize the cat hasn't been up as long, but you would think he'd have more visibility. People may not be searching cats as much. Or--my cat may not be the type that cat searchers are looking for. But--he's not going any lower!

I think we're all starting to s-l-o-w-l-y pick up! It's so easy to get discouraged when things aren't selling. All it takes is one bid to bring out the sun again. :cool:

I also see that I need to adjust some of my subjects. Either that or find another market, and I don't have the fortitude right now to contact gallery after gallery.

surreal
01-11-2004, 11:05 PM
I posted a cat (which I think is quite handsome OK?)
All it takes is one bid to bring out the sun again. :cool:
I also see that I need to adjust some of my subjects. Either that or find another market, and I don't have the fortitude right now to contact gallery after gallery.

Hi,
Your cat is beautifully painted.
However, the gallery pic is not striking. Gallery pics need to be striking and bold in order to get views. I think that if there was more contrast between the cat and its background the views may have been higher. The background and the cat are very similar in value.

Yes, I agree with you about how 1 bid can bring out the sun.
:D

You have 2 bids on paintings now, which is great!!!
Good for you!!!

Paintbrush74
01-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Hi,
Your cat is beautifully painted.
However, the gallery pic is not striking. Gallery pics need to be striking and bold in order to get views. I think that if there was more contrast between the cat and its background the views may have been higher. The background and the cat are very similar in value.

You have 2 bids on paintings now, which is great!!!
Good for you!!!

Thank you for bringing that out about the cat gallery pic Surreal. That's where I think I usually fall short; in the gallery department. I need to work on that.

I think that auction results will be better for everybody very soon!

JoyJoyJoy
01-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Unfortunately, I think the tides have turned for easy art sales on eBay. To sum it up quickly, it is just too much competition... as Rita has mentioned. The massive amount of cheap, mass-produced artwork sellers... which seems to have really escalated this summer and fall... is really making it difficult for buyers to find the work of individual artists. This also affects the "self-rep" catagory artists, as I am unable to search only that catagory lately... don't know if eBay changed its search/browse format this much, or if my computer is glitching, but I suspect it is eBay.

I did a eBay search for my work (oil paintings), like an average eBay buyer might, on Jan. 4. Starting from the eBay home page, I did a search for "painting" in the catagory of "art", in the title lines and descriptions. That gave me about 27,500 results... way too many to go through for most people. Then, I customized the search by telling it to leave out listings with certain words that would be used by artists other than oil painters and by those mass-produced sellers... like "Kinkade, print, poster, China, Chinese, watercolor,... " and so on, a good sized list. The results of that search were about 2,500 paintings... mostly from individual artists like us. But, even then, some listings WITH those "leave out" words showed up!

OK - not scientific research by a long shot, but it did give me the feeling that it is hard for a art customer to even find our works in eBay auction. Interesting thing... when I told my husband, who does shop and buy eBay, about this search, he said he did not know you could search by listing words to eliminate certain kinds of listings.

Wonder if this is common, that folks don't know the capacities of the search option. If someone does not, that leaves them relying on very specific searches like "floral painting," which still brings up all the mass-produced crap listings.

For those of us who have not been on eBay for years, this means we have to sharpen our business and artistic skills, and have more patience. Just how the marketplace goes... always changing.

Nance

surreal
01-12-2004, 06:34 PM
For those of us who have not been on eBay for years, this means we have to sharpen our business and artistic skills, and have more patience. Just how the marketplace goes... always changing.

Nance

Hi Nance,
I agree that we need to sharpen our business skills and of course, most of here would agree that we need to sharpen our artistic skills.

Quite honestly, after conducting many searches on ebay I have noticed that artists of all levels of talent and skill are able to sell successfully.

I feel certain that alot of artistic talent and skill are not needed to be financially successful on ebay.

But I do think, generally speaking, that bold and colorful art sells best!!! And of course, the gallery pic needs to call attention to itself. And certain subjects sell better than others, etc., etc., etc.

Business knowledge is extremely important.

I agree that it is important to be patient.

I have learned so much from the artists here in this forum.

To make a long story short, I think that sharpening our business skills is key.

CoolArtiste
01-13-2004, 07:25 AM
My strategies will be to (1) keep analyzing what interests art buyers and to try to give it to them and (2) make the highest quality art that I can, and (3) keep improving my abilities.
I think this is pretty much what any successful business does.

surreal
01-13-2004, 09:07 AM
My strategies will be to (1) keep analyzing what interests art buyers and to try to give it to them and (2) make the highest quality art that I can, and (3) keep improving my abilities.

These sound like very fine goals!

Good luck to you!

tonigart
01-13-2004, 09:36 AM
I have some paintings on auction now and have been getting a lot of views. I had one painting go out with 338 views last night. It was double listed but not an fp. My other auctions have been doing good with the views too. I think my success is because I timed listing my listings and have 2 fps on. I made sure that when someone finds my listing and reads a little that they know I have others listed and encourage them to check out my other art.

I am also going to start listing 4 more paintings and time them to be starting or ending in coordination with the ones I listed last week on ebay.(this part is a challenge!) So I have hopefully on starting or ending on each day of the week (except Fri) I think I created visiblility on ebay this way.

Good Luck!
Toni

http://stores.ebay.com/id=10916076&ssPageName=L2

TeAnne
02-02-2004, 06:40 PM
i havnt had many hits either teanne its not good in there...bobcue :(

Hi Bob, I seem to be getting the lookers but no buyers. Like I said in another thread, the phone covers are doing great but my art!!!!!!!! *ugh* I wonder why I bother now.

Toadie
02-02-2004, 06:46 PM

I would not say you are the least popular artist at all!!!!! I just had my first anction last week. I sold two out of six. I was on a high for two days and now am paniced, whayt if I never sell another one. Everything els eI have done looks like crap !!!!!!! See I think we can all fall into this trap...:)
I looked at your work, YOU HAVE SUPER ORIGINAL UNIQUE ART!!!!!! And what I would consider allo tof bids right now. I think we get a high from selling and then a low..:) HANG IN THERE GIRL !!!!!!

I think you are right .......:)

Lenora

Toadie
02-02-2004, 06:52 PM
I have been looking at al you guys work for a while now and THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR WORK...You are all very talented and very avvey business womwn..........:)
All retail has its bad times, ........ one great thing you are always thinking on how to make it better, and you share your information.....:)
Your great......!!!!!!!!!

TeAnne
02-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Paintbrush74

I'm probably one of the least popular artists on Ebay. I'm tempted to quit spending the money and just bow out, but then, why should I? I bowed out before; that was probably a mistake. I'll admit that it's tempting to look at my art and say, "It's just not that good so nobody wants it." But that's silly and defeatist.
This is EXACTLY how I feel. I wonder what is wrong with my work. People email and say how much they like my art but why arn't they buying it? I refuse to start my auctions @ $1 & $2 ever again :crying: :crying:

surreal
02-02-2004, 08:49 PM
This is EXACTLY how I feel. I wonder what is wrong with my work. People email and say how much they like my art but why arn't they buying it? I refuse to start my auctions @ $1 & $2 ever again :crying: :crying:

((((((((TE))))))))

Selling on ebay is often like a roller coaster ride with its wonderful ups and severe downs.

Try not to equate the value of your artwork with your sales on ebay.
Remember that ebay is not an art gallery, but is in fact, an extremely large marketplace.

I hope you will cheer up soon!

Paintbrush74
02-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Michelle, thank you; you are very affirming.

I pasted your link in my browser, but got a "page not found" message from Yahoo.

Yes, we need to hang in there. Find your niche and go with it.

I believe that people are beginning to actively avoid some of the one cent copies. Many of my stats show ebayers who include minimums in their search requests. Perhaps it means that these people are interested in original art, and are willing to actively seek it.
:music: :music: :clap: :music: :music: :clap: :music: :music: :clap: :music: :music: :clap: :music: :music:

TeAnne
02-02-2004, 08:51 PM
((((((((TE))))))))

Selling on ebay is often like a roller coaster ride with its wonderful ups and severe downs.

Try not to equate the value of your artwork with your sales on ebay.
Remember that ebay is not an art gallery, but is in fact, an extremely large marketplace.

I hope you will cheer up soon!

You're right Nina. :) I think I really should get off ebay. It depresses me too much. :(

Paintbrush74
02-02-2004, 08:55 PM
You're right Nina. :) I think I really should get off ebay. It depresses me too much. :(

Teann, have you tried painting local scenes? If you live near a city that has a fair population, you might get lots of interest. Some people search for cities that they grew up in, or cities that they've visited, or cities in which they currently live. If it's a place that you know well, it gives it an authenticity that people like.

TeAnne
02-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Teann, have you tried painting local scenes? If you live near a city that has a fair population, you might get lots of interest. Some people search for cities that they grew up in, or cities that they've visited, or cities in which they currently live. If it's a place that you know well, it gives it an authenticity that people like.
Yes, I live in Perth but ............. *sigh* I don't do that kind of art very well.

surreal
02-02-2004, 09:00 PM

Hi Te,
Would you consider creating smaller and less time consuming pieces to list on ebay for sale?

I recall some of your fun hot nudes that sold!!! :D
Try and remember many of your successes!!!
And, didn't you just get a commission to work on? ;)

TeAnne
02-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi Te,
Would you consider creating smaller and less time consuming pieces to list on ebay for sale?

I recall some of your fun hot nudes that sold!!! :D
Try and remember many of your successes!!!
And, didn't you just get a commission to work on? ;)
yep, it was the nudes that got me the commission. I've drawn up the canvas and got the go ahead to begin painting. :)
lol by the time I finish that and get paid. Ebay will have eaten it up with fees. Vicious cycle. lol

Lady Rando
02-02-2004, 09:32 PM
I'll admit that it's tempting to look at my art and say, "It's just not that good so nobody wants it." :crying: But that's silly and defeatist.

Are you kidding? Your art is wonderful and if I didn't have my money tied up in my new business I would be buying it. Hang in there, I want to still see you around when I do have the money to buy! :)

Paintbrush74
02-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Are you kidding? Your art is wonderful and if I didn't have my money tied up in my new business I would be buying it. Hang in there, I want to still see you around when I do have the money to buy! :)

Thanks, Tamara! :D

ElizaLeahy
02-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Yes, I live in Perth but ............. *sigh* I don't do that kind of art very well.

No one wants to buy paintings of Perth....

But you have something that the rest of us here in Australia don't have - sunsets over the ocean! :)

TeAnne
02-02-2004, 09:50 PM
No one wants to buy paintings of Perth....

But you have something that the rest of us here in Australia don't have - sunsets over the ocean! :)
That would be harder than painting a frog. Sorry E, I've tried sunsets, can't do them either. :(

surreal
02-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Views are back down again for me, in general.