PDA

View Full Version : Which auction day do you usually get bids?

ale.l
01-07-2004, 06:04 AM
An interesting observation I think. Has anyone followed this statistics?
The reason is what happened to my last auctions. I listed on the free listing day not hoping for anything over Christmas and New Year. I listed three.
Two sold!
But the funny thing is - I was waiting for my last minutes to elapse before the auctions ended with no bids.. and there was 1 red minute. I hit the refresh to confirm that it didn't sell and imagine my suprise when the refresh button returned a bid! Within one minute..last minute. The other one was bid on earlier.. a day or two before.

When do you most often get bids? It's nice to have them early but that doesn't seem to be the case and actually all is not lost until the last minute goes, right!

jolie
01-07-2004, 06:56 AM
I don't have a long history yet, but I have found that most of my bids come in on the last day...last few hours or minutes on some. I think it's because buyers don't want to drive the price higher by bidding early and it seems a very common strategy. I've learned not to worry if I don't see any bids all week.

Jolie

imaginethat
01-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Most bids come in during the last few hours for me - and often within the last few minutes. Many seasoned ebayers have learned not to bid until the last minutes so they don't run the price up....it's called sniping. I tend not to bid on things until the end of the auction for that same reason.

jocelynsart
01-07-2004, 08:21 AM
My experience has been that I either get a bid very early and it ends like that. Or, I get bids in the last hour and minutes.
I think new people to eBay are usually the cause of a bidding war during the whole auction as they quickly learn after a few high ending prices, to sit and wait. Sometimes, regular buyers of a person's work who all want one particular piece can cause a bit of a bidding war.
It can be discouraging at first, if you start your opening bids higher, closer to what you want for your work, to see it sit till the last few minutes before any bids are placed.
One thign I have learned and suspected before, is that alot of searches are Ending Today searches. So, auctions are often receiving alot of new hits on the last day.
Alot is trial and error. And, with high ending bids, the individual piece itself and the subject.
:) Joss

surreal
01-07-2004, 09:39 AM
I usually receive bids on listings within 12 hours of the close of the auction.

I have received bids within the last 2 minutes of the close of the auction.

I have also received bids after the auction is up 2 or 3 days or on the first day the auction begins.

:)

And then, there are auctions which never receive bids.
How could I possibly forget about those?
LOL
;)

TeAnne
01-07-2004, 09:53 AM
There was two bids on the rose before it ended with 1 min. They are quick lol

nanabanana
01-08-2004, 01:45 AM
most of my bids come in the last 30 mins before items end. And major bidding war happens between 0-10 mins.

Ivyleaf
01-08-2004, 02:19 AM
I haven't been doing this for very long, however I have already noticed the following:

The majority of my bids have come on FRIDAY NIGHT.

Doesn't matter when they start, doesn't matter when they end.

The big bidding night here is Fridays.

Go figure!

LOL

:) :) :)
Ivy

madmum
01-08-2004, 06:51 AM
Always busiest on the last day, I wish people would bid early, waiting for bids kills me!

Ruth

TeAnne
01-08-2004, 07:41 AM
Always busiest on the last day, I wish people would bid early, waiting for bids kills me!

Ruth
lol It's like living with your heart in your throat :evil:

prtpix
01-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Most of my bids come in the last hour of my auctions.

ale.l
01-08-2004, 09:43 AM

Ruth

Don't you complain Ruth, you've been getting bids lately :))

Speaking of which, does it help when you FP? I noticed you've been doing that recently, and yes, you sell, but deducting the FP fee it leaves you at where you could have sold I think in an auction..if not even for more. The catch is I understand more views of your other items and more possibility to sell from the store. I know. Tell me, is it worth losing on the FP to get more on the other side? Does it pay in the end? And everyone else can give me their opinions please. I am curious to try FP myself, but not yet - I don't have many items for sale

surreal
01-08-2004, 09:46 AM
I now have about 400 views for a painting of a nude that I did not fp, but it is still at a low price.
There are 15 hours to go!
I hope the listing will end a little higher than it is now.
LOL

surreal
01-08-2004, 09:50 AM
FP'ing always helps, in my ebay selling experience.

Not only does it garner many more views for the item fp'ed, but it also creates more views for your other auction listings and store items, too!

When I first starting fp'ing, every item I had up for sale would sell, as well as the fp'ed item.

:)

madmum
01-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Don't you complain Ruth, you've been getting bids lately :))

Speaking of which, does it help when you FP? I noticed you've been doing that recently, and yes, you sell, but deducting the FP fee it leaves you at where you could have sold I think in an auction..if not even for more. The catch is I understand more views of your other items and more possibility to sell from the store. I know. Tell me, is it worth losing on the FP to get more on the other side? Does it pay in the end? And everyone else can give me their opinions please. I am curious to try FP myself, but not yet - I don't have many items for sale

Ale, the jury is still out on FP for me. I have 2 FP's ending tonight, with a little luck they'll both get multiple bids, but it is a gamble. Actual views are much higher, especially on ebay.com. I've increased my budget this month, hoping it will result in higher profit:cost ratio. Keeping everything crossed!

I didn't mention that I only added the FP to a second auction AFTER I had a bid on the first, so I should at least break even ;)

Ruth

breslinc
01-08-2004, 08:51 PM
I get just about all mine on the last day of the auction. Every once in awhile I'll get 1 or 2 int he beginning but not much. I try to have all my auctions end on the weekend and never on a Friday. I have learned that more people will not be bidding on Friday but on Sat and Sun, they are bidding heavy.

Thanks

pampe
01-09-2004, 03:14 PM
when we had the Sellathon trackers...the consensus was that the most sales ended on Mondays and Tuesdays

But that was then

There are NO RULES in EBAY

You post, they are seen, they sell or they don't